Thread: Adding film grain.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lots of tools to choose from. Most compositing tools have grain match features.

Also lot of scanned film stock grain that you can just can add with multiply transfermode in resolve, after effects, premere or such and adjust to taste with transparancy. Like these https://www.holygrain.com/free-film-grain-download/

More free ones out there just sesrch for film grain stock.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

There's a sale at RGrain version 2 right now with coupon RGRAIN20 - new stuff looks great. https://www.rgrain.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    I make my own grain (or noise) from the sensor I use wether Dragon/A7M3... It really blends nicely.
    I was thinking of doing this myself.

Would be interesting to see the same thing done with all the different RED sensors.

Would also be interesting to see a way of applying 'film-grain' that translates the 'noise' from the sensor into 'grain'.

Maybe I just haven't used enough of them, but I've always been skeptical of the way film-grain effects don't seem to reflect the way the different film layers respond to exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Robino_J View Post
    There's a sale at RGrain version 2 right now with coupon RGRAIN20 - new stuff looks great. https://www.rgrain.com/
    Thanks for that, will check them out, I like the look of their gate-weave type effect.

We should push the industry to have better DCP compression rates.

4k (wich should be the standard for theatrical release now...) Full container 25p Prores HQ is 860 Mbits/s. Some DCP Jpeg2000 are even compressed to 120 Mbits/s.

Even it it's not the same codec, there is little wonder that all those grain details are lost in the process.

Remember, grain was a bad word in the film days. All the marketing push by Kodak was about having the finest grain. So perhaps those fast changing details wheren't in the center of their preoccupation while choosing the codec for the DCP?

One thing is sure, grain has a hard time in our digital (compressed) days.

If we stil want theaters release to be the state of the art experience (sound and picture) we should push the industry for a workflow with a higher picture quality. Otherwise we will hear another argument to shut those beloved theaters down.

Pat

Had a look at the RGrain effects.

I think they could be useful if tweaked for use on a case-by-case, even shot-by-shot basis. Likewise with any of the other products I guess.

The tendency for me would be to just go overboard with it.

Factoring in all the compression issues after-the-fact, the more subtle uses might not be practical anyway for all I know.

I'm seeing the film-emulation effects more as an optional extra bit of 'flavour' than as something essential, so I'll definitely look further into it, but it's no big deal for me personally if I can't make it fit.

Edit - Here's another question that might help answer the question of whether to add film-grain type effects to digital footage...

If I shot on film, would I do a Digital Intermediate 'print' and stabilize/de-noise/sharpen/generally clean it up it in post?
    Last edited by Les Hillis; 01-05-2021 at 10:34 AM.