Thread: Instagram...

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Instagram... 
    I have a fashion shoot next week that will be posted on there instagram. I like it to look as good as possible on Instagram.
    What is your workflow? I dont like to flip the camera and work with it in 90 degrees. Sure you would maximize the image quality and gain a shorter dof. But I rater have a deeper dof for this shoot anyway.
    I think we going to go with the 1080x1350 portrait (4:5 aspect ratio). Could I shoot normal with some kind of frame guides in camera? What "8k" resolution would you pic.
    It would be good to record the full height of the censor, but "less wide" as the I will be cropping it to 4:5 ratio in anyway.

Is there any instagram formats added in camera? I dont have the latest firmware installed in camera.

Also if you work in Davinci and have any further tips. Please post it here or send me a pm.
    Thanks"
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

There Is a 8k 8:9 resolution that uses full hight 8k sensor. it gets you very close.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    There Is a 8k 8:9 resolution that uses full hight 8k sensor. it gets you very close.
    Sounds like Its time to update the cameas firmware to vet this option.

Is it easy to shoot fullframe and set an in camera 8:10 frame guide? Or would you do it in one of phils tools and import the frame guide into the camera as an png.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Björn, is the 8:9 only for the guides? I only see 8k,2:1, 8k HD, 8k 3:2 as resolutions?
    Crap seams like red forgot to update the helium with more formats. I see the weapon 8k VV has the 8K 8:9

I guess the 3:2 is the closest where the Instagram Portrait 8:10, just a little taller format.

If you want to shoot 16:9 and use a frame guides to compose while shooting, and later crop to 5:4. How would you do it?
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

You need to open the advanced tab, or use the SET FORMAT dialog, not the handy access from the top-level UI.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Thanks Michael, Red says the 8:9 is for Anamorphic. Do you think it will squezze the image or do you think it could be used for instagram? and just crop a little.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

I decided I will shoot in 8k HD and do a custome "action guide" to be able to do both a 16:9 version and a cropped to 8:10 (Instagram portait is 4:5 wich is the same as 8:10, so I just put in 0.8000:1).

Hope this could be helpful for someone. Im still curious if you could shoot 8:9 in camera without any squeezing. But for this shoot, I will go the safe route with multiple options.
    Attached Images
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post

I decided I will shoot in 8k HD and do a custome "action guide" to be able to do both a 16:9 version and a cropped to 8:10 (Instagram portait is 4:5 wich is the same as 8:10, so I just put in 0.8000:1).

Hope this could be helpful for someone. Im still curious if you could shoot 8:9 in camera without any squeezing. But for this shoot, I will go the safe route with multiple options.
    What software did you use to create those? I know how to make it in camera, but will come super handy on prep!

Besides, try to maintain clean shot even outside you frame guides, some people like to rethink the ratio for Instagram after the shoot. Happened to me a couple times

Alex I used the RED Guide Creator in the dsmc-toolkit. Its has not been updated for a while.
    https://www.red.com/download/dsmc-toolkit
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069