Thread: 36 hours with the Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vrozina View Post
    Right, so i think in my past i have not seen anywhere as many stills from any camera as from Komodo. Surely he can post some links to his footage from Komodo (graded and not graded). It is a “moving picture” camera after all.
    I dunno, maybe he's busy? He owes us nothing. People have things to do. He did a lot already, far as I'm concerned.

He shot some test footage. He graded it. He posted stills. And he did a write up. I mean, that's already quite a bit.

I'm happy to just say thanks, but that's just me.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Great pics Juan ! would love to see some low light shots in those Tassy forests.

so i think in my past i have not seen anywhere as many stills from any camera as from Komodo. Surely he can post some links to his footage from Komodo (graded and not graded). It is a “moving picture” camera after all.

you might have to look closer. people have been using RED cameras very successfully for stills purposes for many years. starting with the RED ONE....have a look at Ivan Agertons work, many of his stills originate on the RED. Its definitely not just a moving picture camera, especially now with the global shutter.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

Oh and I should add I’m a huge fan of Juan’s powergrades.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

This is exciting. Great frames.

Juan is a great asset to have here on Reduser. Glad to see him provide these images. This is a really fun camera to shoot.
    Steve Sherrick

I am not interested in discussing Juan or anybody. I am mentioning the amount of stills i see on Komodo forum. I am sure it is no big deal to upload few clips in 2020.

I am not interested in discussing Juan or anybody. I am mentioning the amount of stills i see on Komodo forum. I am sure it is no big deal to upload few clips in 2020.
    Yeah but then people get REALLY nasty, especially if the footage has anything that could even remotely be considered an "issue".

Much easier on the blood pressure just to post some nice stills, grade 'em tastefully and add a big filmic s-curve to make it saucy so you don't get people yelling at you about exposure or shadow noise or whatever :)

I remember Macgregor, Matt Uhry and I did an extensive test of the ol' GH4 back in the day on DVXUSER, before almost anyone else had the camera. We put it up against a Sony F35, which was probably a mistake.

We found a couple of issues with the GH4 highlight rolloff, etc. People were downright PISSED OFF that this camera they hadn't used (but had presumably preordered) wasn't perfect. Like they were SO ANGRY. They just were insulting us, they were insulting our model, they were insulting our test scene just because the highlights kinda looked like crap on the GH4 but not the F35 (which was the whole point of the test, to see what camera picture mode worked best).

I've never posted another because it sucked so much. Matt and I are too busy directing, or making decks or whatever. Mac is too busy, oh, you know shooting giant Lexus commercials or features starring Jesse Eisenberg now. Just don't need that stress in our lives.

It feels like the only reviews that get pages of praise are when the reviewer is bending the whole review to make people who are fans of a certain camera brand like them. That's just not me, man. And I don't think it's Juan either.

I bet the moment someone posts an honest Alexa vs KOMODO vs a7s vs R5 vs Venice vs BM12K comparison they'll get criticism and a whole lot of comments saying they shouldn't have tested while it was beta, or just nitpicking everything meanly.

So maybe Juan just wants to post some stills and pass on his enthusiasm and get folks encouraged.

Personally in the stills, I do see something special: Juan's eye as a colorist. Camera doesn't look particularly breathtaking (I am a DR snob, gimme $500/weekend Alexa rental any day) but that's fine! KOMODO will be good enough and great / the bestest / whatever for certain jobs.

So basically, I almost agree with you... it's more like I'm just sad that the forum is the way it is. I wish it were a place where people could post serious evaluations and everyone would go "BUDDY THANKS FOR DOING THAT, WHAT'S YOUR PAYPAL SO I CAN BUY YOU DINNER FOR ALL THE HOURS YOU SPENT DOING THAT?"

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

It's great to see how Komodo responds to a "film emulation" grade, Thank you Juan!

May i ask you how would you compare it to Arri Alexa (image quality wise)?
    Of all Red cameras, i feel like Komodo is the closest to Arri even if i still need to run my own tests, would love to hear your thoughts on that..

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    I wish it were a place where people could post serious evaluations and everyone would go "BUDDY THANKS FOR DOING THAT, WHAT'S YOUR PAYPAL SO I CAN BUY YOU DINNER FOR ALL THE HOURS YOU SPENT DOING THAT?"[/url]
    I'm with you on this-- let's all ask those burning questions and learn, but also show some gratitude!

Right, so i think in my past i have not seen anywhere as many stills from any camera as from Komodo. Surely he can post some links to his footage from Komodo (graded and not graded). It is a “moving picture” camera after all.
    There is no difference in a still frame snapshot and the moving images from Komodo, unlike any DSLR. You can see much more of Komodo's qualities from these stills than you would ever get from a Youtube compressed video. None of the exceptional fine color discrimination under mixed lighting comes through in subsampled 4:2:0 video.