Thread: 36 hours with the Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 36 hours with the Komodo 
    The Ignite Digi guys were nice enough to lend me their Komodo over the weekend. So I took it out for a few hours to grab some test shots. Unfortunately I only had 2 batteries, each getting me about 25min runtime with 3-4h to recharge, so I didn't get a chance to record anything beyond 3-4sec clips that are more like stills. Hopefully I'll get it off them again soon.

Pretty impressed with it so far. The global shutter is great. The colours and over all image quality is pretty amazing. I actually think Red did almost too good of a job from an image quality point of view. If you don't need the high frame rates, I don't think you're really missing anything from the higher end models.

The body could use a few assignable buttons to toggle false colour, peaking and the LUT etc. I left false colour and focus peaking enabled on the Komodo's screen and kept the external LCD clean. A quick glance down would confirm focus and exposure which actually worked better than I thought. But it is slower than working with the P6K or Alexa I usually work with.

Here are a few graded stills. There are using a very early build of my Komodo2Alexa transform, then a Alexa negative/print film emulation applied on top.

A few more shots can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/O2EfGMh
    Last edited by Juan Melara; 08-13-2020 at 01:50 AM.
    Director / Cinematographer / Colourist
    juanmelara.com.au
    Instagram

Looks amazging thanks Juan. I'm a huge fan of your P4K to Alexa powergrade and LUT so it is great to see your thoughts on the Komodo.

Those shots look absolutely stunning! What batteries were you using that got such poor runtime?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Those shots look absolutely stunning! What batteries were you using that got such poor runtime?
    Wondering as well...

Great stills! Very filmic quaility to the images!

Not entirely sure on the exact Canon battery model they lent me. But one was apparently a store demo battery manufactured in 2012. So likely passed it's time. The 0.5C/32F temp that morning probably didn't help.
    Director / Cinematographer / Colourist
    juanmelara.com.au
    Instagram

Looks great man.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Ahhh Tassie! Great place.

Thanks for the images - and your blog by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Melara View Post
    The Ignite Digi guys were nice enough to lend me their Komodo over the weekend. So I took it out for a few hours to grab some test shots. Unfortunately I only had 2 batteries, each getting me about 25min runtime with 3-4h to recharge, so I didn't get a chance to record anything beyond 3-4sec clips that are more like stills. Hopefully I'll get it off them again soon.

Pretty impressed with it so far. The global shutter is great. The colours and over all image quality is pretty amazing. I actually think Red did almost too good of a job from an image quality point of view. If you don't need the high frame rates, I don't think you're really missing anything from the higher end models.

The body could use a few assignable buttons to toggle false colour, peaking and the LUT etc. I left false colour and focus peaking enabled on the Komodo's screen and kept the external LCD clean. A quick glance down would confirm focus and exposure which actually worked better than I thought. But it is slower than working with the P6K or Alexa I usually work with.

Here are a few graded stills. There are using a very early build of my Komodo2Alexa transform, then a Alexa negative/print film emulation applied on top.

A few more shots can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/O2EfGMh
    I can get the same stills on my Z6

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Really high quality shots, any chance to see them in motion?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Great looking frames Juan, I like the color.