Thread: RED KOMODO my thought :)

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 RED KOMODO my thought :) 
    OOhhh dear RED ... I feel Happy. Really Happy.
    This little one being so small, light and performing ...
    I go straight to the point and try to express myself at best in English.
    Many of you think and are sure that this camera will be the second camera on the SET !!!
    Well I don't think so even for a second, this camera can be transformed as you wish in a short time from the naked body in your hand with a lens to future cages with all the optical bench and v-mount and various accessories ..
    And if RED in the next few months manages to make a viewfinder, it would be the best.
    Someone will wring their noses at this statement, but I assure you that the image that comes out of this thing is so damn beautiful and hot that anyone will like it, ok it's only 50fps at 4k but for me now that's enough and advances for most of the works, what makes the difference is definitely the global shutter.
    THE DR excellent, REd did a great job thinking about the type of sensor it is, and to make you understand I have included some shots with ALexa mini Lf and soon I will use it on a set together, on Thursday I have some tests and I will post them with different light situations.

I leave you with my representation of the DR and I apologize but I forgot to insert the plastic on the left to better separate the stops, but in any case I did not see any defects.

I also leave you some shots made today for curiosity Komodo and ALexa mini Lf in RAw and you can play with them.

In the next few days I will add more and if someone wants I can try to do other tests;)

Komodo vs ALexa mini Lf ( 6 stop Diaf +candle test ):
    http://vpn.cine5k.red/s/y8LBg32PwFBZjMN

Komodo vs ALexa mini LF 2
    http://vpn.cine5k.red/s/NtaMKzm6TXbN2q5

Monstro Komodo low light Link:
    http://vpn.cine5k.red/s/bzPjjTbojCorqkK

DR:
    http://vpn.cine5k.red/s/wnZYg6bypqeNDPf

[IMG]LOGKOMODO310JPG by luigi valtulini, su Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]709KOMODO by luigi valtulini, su Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by luigivaltulini; 08-15-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch

Thanks for the Tests Luigi!

Nice, and thanks
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Luigi,

Arri sample with Highlights recovered against Red Komodo. I still see Magenta and Blue pop up in the "Neutral" colors of the Komodo when match almost identically against the Arri Alexa Mini LF.

Arri Alexa Mini LF

Red Komodo

Last edited by rand thompson; 08-09-2020 at 10:18 PM.

There is more blue in the Alexa compared to the komodo image. This is most visible in the shadow part of the "white" pillar/wall on the very right lower part of the image. But you can also see it clearly in the vases behind the couch. The Komodo image is generally warmer. I don't understand where you see blue and magenta in the Komodo image? The Arri image is also generally sharper, can be seen especially in the strings of the hanging chair and the heater on the wall behind, but also in the details of the frame. The lower end is darker in the Komodo image if looking at the grey piece of cloth on the couch and the shadow of the orange cushion. From the discussions here I would say that Komodo is more "film" and Arri more "video" if you understand what I mean. In the end it naturally comes down to preferences, and what the reasons are for these differences is naturally impossible to say. I'm not sure any conclusions really can be made from just by comparing two images rather it has to be made from experience after a long time of use. The highlight difference leaves me with the question why there is such a difference?

Coming from me who has owned and shot a bunch of Alexa XT stuff, the Komodo holds it’s own. The Alexas color science is quicker / easier to grade I feel. But it’s a learning curve and once I’ve learned what works and what doesn’t with Komodo, I start seeing great results.

From what little I’ve been able to shoot with this damn covid life, I’ve been able to see that dynamic range is excellent and highlights blow very naturally and do have that “film blown” look rather than video clipping.

The grain structure is very tight, and balancing for smooth clean blacks is a little different from Arri. Arri handles ISOs differently, and people need to understand that too. ISO 1280 on the Alexa is brighter than Any RED camera, it’s what I first noticed. But it’s about all the different internal settings including ipp2, contrast settings, ect.

Overall I feel the Komodo is A cam worthy for sure and I don’t feel limited at all by it. In fact I feel less restricted shooting with the Komodo than the Alexa.
    Cinematographer and gaffer for 16 years. Working in TV and feature films.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, Vazen, Tokina, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: Arri Alexa XR 4:3 PLUS, RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, RED Pro Primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

Andi Loor,

You're looking at everything but the right things. I have also graded Arri Alexa footage next to other Red Cameras. They both have different Color Science and I would never expect them to ever look exactly the same. The blue and magenta I am referring to are the blue in the sofa and the magenta in the grey cloth. The sofa, from my previous experience of grading this same scene from Luigi before is a dark grey and that grey cloth should be light grey , it looks more Magenta in the Komodo.

If you actually tried grading the two similarly exposed Komodo and Alexa Mini LF scenes provided by Luigi you would see what I meant. Trying to get them to match the grays in the Alexa mini Lf completely alters the two images similarly completely.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 08-10-2020 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Andi Loor,

You're looking at everything but the right things. I have also graded Arri Alexa footage next to other Red Cameras. They both have different Color Science and I would never expect them to ever look exactly the same. The blue and magenta I am referring to are the blue in the sofa and the magenta in the grey cloth. The sofa, from my previous experience of grading this same scene from Luigi before is a dark grey and that grey cloth should be light grey , it looks more Magenta in the Komodo.

If you actually tried grading the two similarly exposed Komodo and Alexa Mini LF scenes provided by Luigi you would see what I meant. Trying to get them to match the grays in the Alexa mini Lf completely alters the two images similarly completely.
    Now I understand what you mean.

Andi,

Here is the way the original scenes before grading looked, the Arri at 4300K and the Komodo at 5600K

Arri Alexa Mini LF

Red Komodo

Here are both before grading at 4300K

Arri Alexa Mini LF

Red Komodo

Here the magenta is very clearly visible in the Komodo image while the Arri image has much more green. Thank you for showing