Thread: AC Lemo Connector

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 AC Lemo Connector 
    I've been struggling to find lemo connector the Komodo uses for power. Does anyone have a part number? Wanting to build a few cables but for whatever reason I'm on the strugglebus

Hi Ben,

I've been wondering ever since the inofficial release of the connector sheets, why RED chose ODU over LEMO this time (except for ODU's lower pricing, maybe?), because it just leads to situations like yours. Questions about compatibility, which connectors will fit, exact part number, etc...
    I'll wait for the official release of Komodo's Ops Manual, but since the connectors shouldn't be subject to be changed anymore, it would be really helpful, if the RED Team could tell us the proper part numbers (ODU and LEMO). What annoys me about ODU is that you have to register to get any useful information, whereas LEMO provides all catalogues, assemblage information, etc. "for free".
    Anyway, what I know so far is that the mating LEMO connector is a 2-pin (wiring> pin 1 = + (7-17 V DC), pin 2 = ground), 0B series connector, but regarding the alignment key, it seems like it is key "J", but it's rather a guess, so I'd be glad if anyone could confirm this.
    Actually, I can't see any difference between alignment key "J" and "K", see LEMO's unipole/multipole catalogue...help?! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
    Hi Ben,

I've been wondering ever since the inofficial release of the connector sheets, why RED chose ODU over LEMO this time (except for ODU's lower pricing, maybe?), because it just leads to situations like yours. Questions about compatibility, which connectors will fit, exact part number, etc...
    I'll wait for the official release of Komodo's Ops Manual, but since the connectors shouldn't be subject to be changed anymore, it would be really helpful, if the RED Team could tell us the proper part numbers (ODU and LEMO). What annoys me about ODU is that you have to register to get any useful information, whereas LEMO provides all catalogues, assemblage information, etc. "for free".
    Anyway, what I know so far is that the mating LEMO connector is a 2-pin (wiring> pin 1 = + (7-17 V DC), pin 2 = ground), 0B series connector, but regarding the alignment key, it seems like it is key "J", but it's rather a guess, so I'd be glad if anyone could confirm this.
    Actually, I can't see any difference between alignment key "J" and "K", see LEMO's unipole/multipole catalogue...help?! ;)

If you scroll down on this page a little you can see their catalogues without signing in or giving any info!
    https://www.odu-usa.com/connector-so...groove-coding/

At least it didn't ask me for any! I'm still hunting but I'm feeling closer

I would love a 90 degree cable for power. When going handheld the current Red connector is so long i might as well have a battery on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Butcher View Post
    I would love a 90 degree cable for power. When going handheld the current Red connector is so long i might as well have a battery on the back.
    Ignite Digi has some right angle power options for the Komodo that look pretty great:
    https://www.ignitedigi.com.au/collec...i-power-cables

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hensley View Post
    If you scroll down on this page a little you can see their catalogues without signing in or giving any info!
    https://www.odu-usa.com/connector-so...groove-coding/

At least it didn't ask me for any! I'm still hunting but I'm feeling closer
    Hah, that's weird. I was visiting https://www.odu-connectors.com/, which seems to be one of their official sites, too, but if you want to download a catalogue, it forces you to register first.
    Thanks for your help, should be a lot easier now to find the correct part number.

Hah, that's weird. I was visiting https://www.odu-connectors.com/, which seems to be one of their official sites, too, but if you want to download a catalogue, it forces you to register first.
    Thanks for your help, should be a lot easier now to find the correct part number.
    See i thought so too. I couldn't find a size 0 with B key position. lol I haven't spent too much time in there yet but if you see something please let me know!

Okay, Ben, I spent some time trying to find the correct DC IN plugs for Komodo.
    First, I was missing an index (like in LEMO's catalogue), but once you're used to it you can jump to the right page when visiting the coding description, etc.

ODU Mini Snap L Series, size 0, (seems to be equal to the LEMO 0B series)

Straight plug without nut for adding one of those long bend reliefs, just the standard back nut version =
    S10LCC-P02MJG0-3200

Right Angle plug without nut for bend relief, standard back nut version = W10LCC-P02MJG0-3200

soldering pins, cable collet for cable diameter 2-3.2 mm (or choose ...-P02MJG0-4200 for cable diameter 3-4.2 mm),
    depending on preferred cable - haven't checked that yet,
    standard back nut, standard color matt chromate
    (black chromate available on demand, then the 6th digit should be an "S")

ODU's B series are the watertight connectors, so I guess Jarred mixed something up as he wrote "ODU 0B 2-pin connector" on @instajarred..?
    (probably because of LEMO's B series, size 0 connectors)

================================================== =========================

If you want to stick with LEMO's connectors, here are some of the mating connectors I would choose:

LEMO B series, size 0,

Standard straight plug, key J, cable collet without nut for bend relief

FGJ.0B.302.CLAD42

Short straight plug, key J, cable collet without nut for bend relief

JGJ.0B.302.CLAD42

Right angle plug, key J, cable collet without nut for bend relief

FPJ.0B.302.CLAD42

Anglissimo Right Angle Plug (adjustable in 45 increments), key J, standard cable collet (not for bend relief)

FSJ.0B.302.CLAD42

You'll need to order the appropriate tool / spanner, too. Part Number DCP.91.FSG.TN

AWG 22 or maximum AWG 20 for 2 pin plugs, wire core/section in mm2: 0.34mm2 or maximum 0.5mm2 section for 2 pin plugs (0B series).
    Cable collet size for cables with a diameter of 2.2-3.2mm = CLAD31
    Cable collet size for cables with a diameter of 3.2-4.2mm = CLAD42 (actually, CLA stands for the housing, insulator and contact type, Dxx for the cable collet)

Add letter "N" at the end of the product code for black colored plugs.

However, I can't guarantee this is the correct connector; mainly because of Jarred's confusing statement mentioned before, but these are the part numbers I'd order if I were you. Better check for yourself again if you'd get the same result. If you want to crimp the contacts there will be at least 3 different letters in the part number coding of ODU's connectors. As long as nobody confirms that it's ODU's Mini Snap L Series, size 0 (Jarred? An early Komodo user?),
    I'll wait until the official document comes out. Hope this helps a bit...
    Last edited by Thomas B.; 08-08-2020 at 11:01 PM. Reason: refinement in explanation, additional info

Okay, Ben, I spent some time trying to find the correct DC IN plugs for Komodo.
    First, I was missing an index (like in LEMO's catalogue), but once you're used to it you can jump to the right page when visiting the coding description, etc.

ODU Mini Snap L Series, size 0, (seems to be equal to the LEMO 0B series)

Straight plug without nut for adding one of those long bend reliefs, just the standard back nut version =
    S10LCC-P02MJG0-3200

Right Angle plug without nut for bend relief, standard back nut version = W10LCC-P02MJG0-3200

soldering pins, cable collet for cable diameter 2-3.2 mm (or choose ...-P02MJG0-4200 for cable diameter 3-4.2 mm),
    depending on preferred cable - haven't checked that yet,
    standard back nut, standard color matt chromate
    (black chromate available on demand, then the 6th digit should be an "S")

ODU's B series are the watertight connectors, so I guess Jarred mixed something up as he wrote "ODU 0B 2-pin connector" on @instajarred..?
    (probably because of LEMO's B series, size 0 connectors)

================================================== =========================

If you want to stick with LEMO's connectors, here are some of the mating connectors I would choose:

LEMO B series, size 0,

Standard straight plug, key J, cable collet without nut for bend relief

FGJ.0B.302.CLAD42

Short straight plug, key J, cable collet without nut for bend relief

JGJ.0B.302.CLAD42

Right angle plug, key J, cable collet without nut for bend relief

FPJ.0B.302.CLAD42

Anglissimo Right Angle Plug (adjustable in 45 increments), key J, standard cable collet (not for bend relief)

FSJ.0B.302.CLAD42

You'll need to order the appropriate tool / spanner, too. Part Number DCP.91.FSG.TN

AWG 22 or maximum AWG 20 for 2 pin plugs, wire core/section in mm2: 0.34mm2 or maximum 0.5mm2 section for 2 pin plugs (0B series).
    Cable collet size for cables with a diameter of 2.2-3.2mm = CLAD31
    Cable collet size for cables with a diameter of 3.2-4.2mm = CLAD42 (actually, CLA stands for the housing, insulator and contact type, Dxx for the cable collet)

Add letter "N" at the end of the product code for black colored plugs.

However, I can't guarantee this is the correct connector; mainly because of Jarred's confusing statement mentioned before, but these are the part numbers I'd order if I were you. Better check for yourself again if you'd get the same result. If you want to crimp the contacts there will be at least 3 different letters in the part number coding of ODU's connectors. As long as nobody confirms that it's ODU's Mini Snap L Series, size 0 (Jarred? An early Komodo user?),
    I'll wait until the official document comes out. Hope this helps a bit...
    Wow this is great! Thank you!! I actually just came back to post the lemo connector! I came to the same conclusion and so did another on the facebook group!

Note: The "LA" in "CLAD" denotes male solder contacts. Because Komodo uses a plug with female contacts, the part numbers will include "LL" denoting female solder cups. That's why when you search "FGJ.0B.302.CLAD42" nothing comes up.

These are in stock at Mouser:

FGJ.0B.302.CLLD52 - straight angle
    FPJ.0B.302.CLLD52 - right angle

Of course, no guarantee it works, because it's a LEMO mating to an ODU.
    REDucated June 2012

Scarlet-X #2098
    Raven #61
    Komodo #234

Hi YouTube!