Thread: Sony A7S III - Supreme Compact 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemalettin Sert View Post
    is there any a7siii vs komodo tests? there are like few hundreds of komodo owners out there and its so suprising nobody did a comparison test.
    will Sony let them? [joking]

not sure who has a Sony A7siii, I think it's only brand ambassadors... it would be an interesting test, as Komodo is Red's sports camera... Sony a7siii big selling point is broadcast quality + autofocus... from what I hear on these boards, Red is working on the autofocus and then it can be run by a single operator in professional settings

still you going to have to consider

Red=6K RAW [theatrical]
    Sony=4K 4:2:2 [television]

the high-speed aspects of Sony add a lot of versatility to the camera, but overcranked shots usually take a lot of planning and that means money and expectations of more than 4k resolution
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    will Sony let them?
    the high-speed aspects of Sony add a lot of versatility to the camera, but overcranked shots usually take a lot of planning and that means money and expectations of more than 4k resolution
    I was using the slowmotion with the A7mk3 (max frame size 1920x1080) and aliasing was problematic. Wonder how they do it? Entire sensor read out?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    I was using the slowmotion with the A7mk3 (max frame size 1920x1080) and aliasing was problematic. Wonder how they do it? Entire sensor read out?
    I would guess with new “video” sensor and new processor new A7s3 should be more forgiving. Nice tool for everyday simple jobs. I just hope it does have Venice picture profiles.

I wonder why anyone would even consider buying a Red Komodo after this announcement. Theres no way Red can compete with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Stekelenburg View Post
    I wonder why anyone would even consider buying a Red Komodo after this announcement. Theres no way Red can compete with this.
    Tell me the differences between these two cameras.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I don't agree with this at all. They both have compelling features that don't exist on the other camera.

Komodo: S35, 6K, global shutter.

A7SIII: Low light, 4K120, FE mount, AF.

Those are not paper specs. They are real and they have value.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Sony A7S III Video Test | Sample Video Test

Sony A7S III Cinematic 4k Video Footage

α7S III:映像作家 江夏由洋「Siúil A Rún」【ソニー公式】

Last edited by rand thompson; 08-01-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. They both have compelling features that don't exist on the other camera.

Komodo: S35, 6K, global shutter.

A7SIII: Low light, 4K120, FE mount, AF.

Those are not paper specs. They are real and they have value.
    Well, those features are my point. Who cares for 6K and Global Shutter when the images produced by the A7siii show very little rolling shutter and plenty of sharpness in the first place?
    Seems like a very niche market for Red. VFX people maybe? People who own S35 lenses? I thought this was supposed to be Reds prosumer camera.

+ Price...
    + Full frame in a smaller package than Komodo. Red would probably charge double for a FF sensor.
    + True 16bit linear raw output
    + Dynamic range of 15+ stops
    + Image quality so far seems to be superior to that of Komodo
    Last edited by Vincent Stekelenburg; 08-02-2020 at 02:59 AM.

Well, those features are my point. Who cares for 6K and Global Shutter when the images produced by the A7siii show very little rolling shutter and plenty of sharpness in the first place?
    Seems like a very niche market for Red. VFX people maybe? People who own S35 lenses? I thought this was supposed to be Reds prosumer camera.

+ Price...
    + Full frame in a smaller package than Komodo. Red would probably charge double for a FF sensor.
    You do seem to mess it all up. Indeed, Komodo isn't a competition for a7s III - because they are for different markets, I mean totally. While Komodo is a cinema-grade crash/action/b-cam - with a proper SDI, mounting solutions, DCI aspect-ratios, 16 bit internal raw, proper OLPF, ANA support etc etc etc.

On the other side A7SIII is a "video" camera in a consumer SLR body, with HDMI, bad codecs (h.265 h.264 based), lack of proper SDI, lack of proper powering solution, uncomfortable for on-set purpose camera body. It's totally a consumer tool, which is built around one man handling it all.

They are built around totally different markets, while Komodo is built for a proper set, where you always have a director, crew, sound and vfx - and it covers all the check boxes needed - Sony and Canon on the other hand cover consumers with their one man covers it all needs. It's ok for both to exist, just pick a proper tool necessary for your occasion.

Though for the money of A7S III or Canon R5 you can buy BMPCC4K & 6K, Z-Cam, Kinefinity, Panasonic S1H (which is much better for a set compared to Sony or Canon), Canon C200 (used), Sony FS-line bodies, used DSMC1 Red's, URSA Mini Pro G1/2 (used), Komodo is in a similar ballpark. You can literally pick any tool you need - just be certain what you need.

+ Price...
    A7SIII also beats ALEXA LF I guess?