Thread: Sony A7S III - Supreme Compact 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Šabović Adis View Post
    A7SIII also beats ALEXA LF I guess?
    Im just curious how much market there is left for Komodo after these are cameras were introduced. Thats all. Not trying to start an argument over which camera is better.
    Since Red was aiming at the lower end of the market with Komodo. Those people will happily put up with the A7siii limitations in regards to ergonomics and connectivity i think.

Really different cameras. Depends on what you’re doing.

A7S3 is just super super different than a Komodo.

Think about it, if you have to get an Atomos to record 12 or 16 bit raw you’re already into a different cost bracket closer to a Komodo, you don’t have rolling shutter with Komodo.

Not knocking the A7SIII at all, just a very different tool for different purposes (maybe there is overlap - but differences seem stronger than similarities of these two.) I would love to try all of them, but I feel like I would probably maybe tick more boxes of satisfaction and fewer of frustration for my personal work with a Komodo than an A7S3.

I can read "No recording limit" (30 minutes limit) is this really so?

Agree that the form factor/feature sets of the Komodo and Sony A7s3 present different opportunities/challenges during acquisition. The dichotomy might be even more meaningful in post due to bit depth, codec, oversampling, timecode, etc. With some talent and TLC I'd imagine the Sony footage could be matched well enough to cut in with your "A" cam, but you better have a good colorist - and if you can afford one of those...

I respect what the mirrorless Sony A7 series cameras can do - the amount of real chroma in low light and the form factor can be just what you want for some situations. The internal codecs are limited, but they do keep the data footprint small. As a personal, walk around camera that can also capture some interesting angles on set it makes sense. IMHO, it would make a lot more sense at half the price...

The other big differentiator in my mind is that I could be persuaded to shot an indie feature on a Komodo - the A7r3, not so much...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Stekelenburg View Post
    Im just curious how much market there is left for Komodo after these are cameras were introduced. Thats all. Not trying to start an argument over which camera is better.
    Since Red was aiming at the lower end of the market with Komodo. Those people will happily put up with the A7siii limitations in regards to ergonomics and connectivity i think.
    They will appeal to different markets in terms of function and IQ potential. Komodo was designed primarily as a companion action cam/crash cam/drone cam to high end digital cinema cameras with no compromise in ultimate IQ potential.
    It will of course have much broader appeal, but Jarred early on said he would consider it a success if it only sold to current Red owners.

The Sony for starters doesn't shoot DCI theatrical format 4K. For movies it is pretty much the standard XAVC 8-bit compressed video codecs, 4:2:0 internally and 4:2:2 externally up to 30p 4K and 60p HD.
    Nothing radically new here. 14-bit RAW frame rate for stills is just 10FPS. No RAW motion movie recording.
    Minor upgrade to the previous version. Its primary claim to fame is low light sensitivity. It is a mid price range consumer DSLR.

The A7S Mk2 is awesome run & gun camera great for that quick interview and now with the high speed frame rate its now 3 times better. Finally Sony delivered!

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    The Sony for starters doesn't shoot DCI theatrical format 4K. For movies it is pretty much the standard XAVC 8-bit compressed video codecs, 4:2:0 internally and 4:2:2 externally up to 30p 4K and 60p HD.
    Nothing radically new here. 14-bit RAW frame rate for stills is just 10FPS. No RAW motion movie recording.
    Minor upgrade to the previous version. Its primary claim to fame is low light sensitivity. It is a mid price range consumer DSLR.
    You’re correct, no DCI 4K for now in the Sony A7s3. But apparently it can do UHD 4:2:2 10bit internal at all frame rates, 24,30,60,120p, plus undercranking, with only a minimal 1.1x crop in 120p. Full scan readout of the sensor in all modes, with very low rolling shutter. Not sure what the codec is at 240p, just that it is HD. Apparently, it can also output 16-bit raw video over HDMI, though there is no recorder available that can handle it yet. Seems like a pretty big to me.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    For movies it is pretty much the standard XAVC 8-bit compressed video codecs, 4:2:0 internally and 4:2:2 externally up to 30p 4K and 60p HD.
    I think homeboy read the specs for the wrong camera? This is mostly wrong.

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Sony A7s iii Vs Canon EOS R5 Low Light Comparison

Examples start at the 00:42 second mark

Sony A7SIII | CINEMATIC FOOTAGE 4K LOWLIGHT TEST

A Night in New York' - A Short Movie shot on the Sony a7S III

Last edited by rand thompson; 08-02-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    I was using the slowmotion with the A7mk3 (max frame size 1920x1080) and aliasing was problematic. Wonder how they do it? Entire sensor read out?
    I think they've done some things correct with the FX9, which is also Full Frame and has amazing autofocus

the A7siii is a 4K sensor, FX9 has a 6K sensor... it might be the same as the FX9 and Alister explains the different modes here:
    http://www.xdcam-user.com/2019/12/mo...9s-scan-modes/
    Last edited by Jeffery Anderson; 08-02-2020 at 10:43 PM.
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant