Thread: New to Red Ranger Gemini - General Shooting Advice for a Feature

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignacio Aguilar View Post
    Thank you. If I can really have such a clean image as Alexa 800 ISO with the Gemini rated at 1600 ISO in standard mode, then I'll probably stick to that and leave LL mode for desperate situations, or when I have to open up the lenses a bit more than T2.8.
    I'm not sure but I don't think you can shoot 2:1 24p full sensor, or? Might be me that's used to Monster where highest bitrate at FF get lowered when adding proxies. But you might be right that Gemini have low enough resolution to allow for 2:1 r3d and proxy on the side. But what I mean is for chroma key shots the more bitrate you can give the r3d the better.

I don't mean Panavision gear but the DXL lut, think its this one, can not test here as I'm on my phone, so let me know if it looks completely off then I can go fetch the right one: https://f.io/aO_7ya2z

But put it in a folder named "lut" on the mag and import to camera and set the camera to use it with RWG and rec709 conversion with medium / soft.

I find the above to be a very pleasing starting point that gives a nice filmic texture if exposing for 1600ISO.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Hello Björn,

The DXL LUT doesn't seem to work with the Gemini. The image looks way overexposed and oversaturated.

I have done a preliminary test with the camera and Full Height 5K 1.7:1 it allows 3:1 compression plus 2K Prores LT, but no 2:1 compression even without dailies. Since I'll be shooting 5K 6:5 anamorphic I will be able to shoot greenscreen at 2:1 compression with LT dailies as well, leaving the non-greenscreen stuff at 3:1, which should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignacio Aguilar View Post
    The DXL LUT doesn't seem to work with the Gemini. The image looks way overexposed and oversaturated.
    Reduce ISO by 1 stop or switch to ISO Cal 1. The pana lut has the built in IPP2 ISO calibration 2 "push" built into it, so if you're stacking ISO cal 2 with the pana lut, you're now boosting a stop extra than intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    But put it in a folder named "lut" on the mag and import to camera and set the camera to use it with RWG and rec709 conversion with medium / soft.

I find the above to be a very pleasing starting point that gives a nice filmic texture if exposing for 1600ISO.
    Are you sure it's supposed to be BT1886 with med/soft for tone/highlight? I was under the impression it was supposed to be RWG/3GLog10 with no conversions (as Panavision didn't want an extra layer of potential confusion via the selectable tone/highlight mapping of IPP2).

Also worth noting that the LUT was originally designed to work with RED's own LLO OLPF on the Dragon VV in the original DXL. I'm not sure if it was changed/tweaked when they introduced DXL2 (which was Monstro + Panavision's custom PXpro OLPF), but even with DXL2 plenty of productions still opted for the LLO instead of PXpro. Similarly, Monstro can be rated at ISO1600 *with* the additional ~stop push of the LUT and still be quite useable/clean (which is a ~two stop highlight protection, helping balance the over/under exposure).