Thread: Amazing product. Satellite based time code.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Amazing product. Satellite based time code. 
    Just wrapped a feature using pre production prototypes of these. Can’t suggest them enough. Worked perfectly and time code was rock solid in all four of our locations. I think everyone should own at least one. And red should think about integrating the tech inside camera.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ersal-timecode

Anyway. Really cool product developed by an ex Tesla engineer! Check them out!
    Scarlet X #59

WillWernick.com

That is really cool!

Man, I can barely get a good signal from DirecTV. What happens if you're in a location without a southwest exposure? What if there's a roof? I dunno, I only see a lot of problems and technical problems with this, and no advantages over traditional lockboxes and jammed timecode. Modern lockboxes are tiny, like a pack of cigarettes: how big and heavy is one of these boxes, and how does it connect to a dish?
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Man, I can barely get a good signal from DirecTV. What happens if you're in a location without a southwest exposure? What if there's a roof? I dunno, I only see a lot of problems and technical problems with this, and no advantages over traditional lockboxes and jammed timecode. Modern lockboxes are tiny, like a pack of cigarettes: how big and heavy is one of these boxes, and how does it connect to a dish?
    They keep their clock even if it’s drops signal. It’s not much bigger than a tenticle sync.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

There are huge advantages. You can sync camera in any location on the planet, accurately and exactly. The boxes are same size as a reg lock box. And they worked in All of our locations seamlessly. I will have one loving on camera and sound on every shoot I do in the future. And for remote projects there is nothing else like this.
    Scarlet X #59

WillWernick.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    It connects directly to satellite. Nothing else required.
    Scarlet X #59

WillWernick.com

always wondered about this kind of product
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Did a serious search for such a device a few years ago and essentially found bupkis. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers - #19

Isn't this just GPS time?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    They keep their clock even if it’s drops signal. It’s not much bigger than a tenticle sync.
    I'm not getting how it's better than Tentacle sync, or a Denecke jam box, or an Aaton lockbox. You can get those for a few hundred dollars apiece and it will work anywhere, even in a room with a metal roof. If you had just four cameras and one sound recorder, it'd be five boxes for $2000 (much less if you rent them), which to me is very affordable. A temperature-stabilized crystal oscillator (TCXO) is going to hold frame-accurate sync for at least 8 hours, and will also provide a genlock signal for absolutely precise shutters, so every camera won't be a fraction of a frame out of sync. And you have to be able to handle 25fps, 24fps, 23.976fps, and 29.97fps (something I don't see mentioned in the Kickstarter info).

It will be almost impossible to do this via satellite, because of time delays, reception problems, size of the dish, and then you have to factor in cost, battery life, and so on. I have literally seen a Denecke SB-T timecode generator run just fine for four days on 3 AA batteries. I've seen them dropped on concrete from 3 or 4 feet and continue to work. I'm very skeptical that something could replace this level of functionality and usability for the same price. I think they're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer