Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    New BMDUsers Forum

http://bmdusers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    Just the general concept of anything being considered "future proof" is silly to me. Especially in the realm of rapidly depreciating electronic items that will be obsoleted by its manufacturer within 18 months.

That doesn't mean you can't use it 20 years from now. Some people probably still commute in a horse drawn carriage.

But "future proof" ? No such thing.
    Well, having owned an epic w 8k, I can assure you that camera will be ‘future-proof’ (producing 8K images well into the future, which won’t be 8k as the norm for 10, 20? Years. Bottom line, spec wise. The BM camera has REALLY high frame rates as well, covering both resolution AND hfr. And hdr(?). To me that is hella future proof and a big consideration.

To clarify people still shoot on the original epics.

A horse and buggy doesn’t exceed the specs of modern commuting SPEED WISE or distance wise as does a 4.6k plus RAW imaging red camera of the past 13 years. Look at ARRIs sensor, same one for how long? Future proof sure. 12k at 60p I mean are you kidding me. 8k 120p and the images look quite clean. That also is part of a future proofed camera, no baked in “look” to the sensor. Brand new sensor technology as well.

“ I can say the 12K decimated my interest in the RED KOMODO, Canon R5 and Sony a7s3 and FX9. A used Alexa or Canon C300 mk3 or a Panasonic S1H if heavily discounted are still interesting to me vs the 12K… but to be honest after that announcement I’m sitting tight and not buying ANYTHING!

I’m not fully the 12K’s target market – I’m a director who does promos and commercials and supervises VFX so I mostly work with DPs who own or rent. My recent jobs were all Alexa Mini or LF, along with C300 mk2 for an indie series that got into Slamdance, plus of course DJI drones and a bit of RED.

I was considering upgrading my personal camera (I do own an a7r2 and Fuji X-T3 for personal / scouting / proof of concept stuff) and was looking to go a little higher-end, but after the 12K announcement, the R5, a7s3 and KOMODO didn’t look so hot – so I decided to hold onto my money during the pandemic. Thank you Blackmagic! Also it gives me a buffer to pay my DP friends who have good cameras and presumably need work!

So personally this 12K solidified me in “wait and see” mode. Maybe the perfect job will come along that is a no-brainer to buy the 12K for. I also hold out hope for a more “pro” smaller one – the current pocket one with the large LCD that you can’t see in daylight and odd ergonomics doesn’t work for me. I wish Blackmagic would release their Alexa Mini equivalent next. The Alexa Mini was smaller, cheaper, and shot 4:3 anamorphic and 200fps full frame 16×9 – an upgrade over the big one! Let’s see the BM version.

I guess the biggest problem for me with buying the 12K is you can rent an Alexa Mini is $500 for the weekend on Sharegrid in Los Angeles – $12000 is 24 weekends of Alexa Mini playtime I’d be giving up. The 12K would really have to beat the Mini – need to test!

I do know many friends with the 4.6K who are very loyal to it. It’s a diverse group – a motion graphics art director who shoots awesome elements (although I did lend her my Fuji X-T3 during the pandemic because the fixed pattern noise was an issue for a shoot), a producer who used it for pickup shots on a film that got into Sundance – eg people who need a good quality camera around but don’t want to pay an insane amount. If a 12K popped up on the used market for $8K and one of my friends said “wanna split one?” I’d be tempted. There’s so much right on the 12K from the image to the media recording choices to the fact that you can actually playback the files on a laptop! Also I like the fact that it has genlock, proper low latency HD-SDI (well, I hope it’s low latency!) because I’m playing around with virtual set stuff and DSLRs suck for that.

So yes, I think the 12K just shot up to displace RED, Sony, Canon, etc as “camera I’m most likely to work with soon” – Alexa is still above until I’ve tested… but well done Blackmagic!

Also seriously well done Blackmagic for working with John – footage looked great but also all of the answers on DVXuser, REDuser etc have been so straightforward and spin-free. High five!

Bruce Allen”

Good post.

Amen brother. this 12 k has shaked, rattled and rolled the industry. If it can deliver, it will displace 50% of the market minimally. I'm only a Epic dragon owner. (several tho) I had planned on grabbing the Komodo but this 12k changes everything. I have the 4.6k and was venturing into dmsc2 and hopefully dsmc3 but that has changed. I may dwell into the BM market, It all depends on how this camera 12k delivers. Gotta love the day and age we are in.. Truly competitive...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    “ I can say the 12K decimated my interest in the RED KOMODO, Canon R5 and Sony a7s3 and FX9. A used Alexa or Canon C300 mk3 or a Panasonic S1H if heavily discounted are still interesting to me vs the 12K… but to be honest after that announcement I’m sitting tight and not buying ANYTHING!

I’m not fully the 12K’s target market – I’m a director who does promos and commercials and supervises VFX so I mostly work with DPs who own or rent. My recent jobs were all Alexa Mini or LF, along with C300 mk2 for an indie series that got into Slamdance, plus of course DJI drones and a bit of RED.

I was considering upgrading my personal camera (I do own an a7r2 and Fuji X-T3 for personal / scouting / proof of concept stuff) and was looking to go a little higher-end, but after the 12K announcement, the R5, a7s3 and KOMODO didn’t look so hot – so I decided to hold onto my money during the pandemic. Thank you Blackmagic! Also it gives me a buffer to pay my DP friends who have good cameras and presumably need work!

So personally this 12K solidified me in “wait and see” mode. Maybe the perfect job will come along that is a no-brainer to buy the 12K for. I also hold out hope for a more “pro” smaller one – the current pocket one with the large LCD that you can’t see in daylight and odd ergonomics doesn’t work for me. I wish Blackmagic would release their Alexa Mini equivalent next. The Alexa Mini was smaller, cheaper, and shot 4:3 anamorphic and 200fps full frame 16×9 – an upgrade over the big one! Let’s see the BM version.

I guess the biggest problem for me with buying the 12K is you can rent an Alexa Mini is $500 for the weekend on Sharegrid in Los Angeles – $12000 is 24 weekends of Alexa Mini playtime I’d be giving up. The 12K would really have to beat the Mini – need to test!

I do know many friends with the 4.6K who are very loyal to it. It’s a diverse group – a motion graphics art director who shoots awesome elements (although I did lend her my Fuji X-T3 during the pandemic because the fixed pattern noise was an issue for a shoot), a producer who used it for pickup shots on a film that got into Sundance – eg people who need a good quality camera around but don’t want to pay an insane amount. If a 12K popped up on the used market for $8K and one of my friends said “wanna split one?” I’d be tempted. There’s so much right on the 12K from the image to the media recording choices to the fact that you can actually playback the files on a laptop! Also I like the fact that it has genlock, proper low latency HD-SDI (well, I hope it’s low latency!) because I’m playing around with virtual set stuff and DSLRs suck for that.

So yes, I think the 12K just shot up to displace RED, Sony, Canon, etc as “camera I’m most likely to work with soon” – Alexa is still above until I’ve tested… but well done Blackmagic!

Also seriously well done Blackmagic for working with John – footage looked great but also all of the answers on DVXuser, REDuser etc have been so straightforward and spin-free. High five!

Bruce Allen”

Good post.

Thought I'd post this here too.
    Here are some (4K) stills from the Ursa Mini Pro 12K. Shots with people in them coming at a later time.
    I'm extremely impressed with the details and colors that you can get from this camera.
    I think the team at BMD has achieved something really special.

Both shot with the Sigma 18-35mm.
    Check out the links for better quality versions. The images embedded are 1600 wide.

Ursa Mini Pro 12K by Note S., on Flickr

Ursa Mini Pro 12K by Note S., on Flickr
    Last edited by Note Suwanchote; 08-01-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Lovely Note.

I'm finding there's a great depth and nuance to colour.

How are you finding DR ? Noise ?

Which lens by the way ?

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    Ontario Canada
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Lovely Note.

How are you finding DR ? Noise ?

Which lens by the way ?

JB
    Thanks John!

Good point, I'll update with the lens. This is with the Sigma 18-35.

I found the dynamic range to be incredible. The flexibility of the files is something that stands out when you start grading. The 14 stops is a bit conservative from my impressions.
    As for the noise, I think it's similar to the G2 though it's much easier to work with.

Wild Prediction : Within 2 years we will see a full frame sensor using this architecture - it might still only record 12-16K even if it has a higher native pixel count, but the pixel "mezzanine" will be handled before the rest of the pipeline.

Personally I am blown away by the imagery so far, and I just wish it had a full height anamorphic mode... (18-19mm tall)... but that's my anamorphic monomania speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Wild Prediction : Within 2 years we will see a full frame sensor using this architecture - it might still only record 12-16K even if it has a higher native pixel count, but the pixel "mezzanine" will be handled before the rest of the pipeline.

Personally I am blown away by the imagery so far, and I just wish it had a full height anamorphic mode... (18-19mm tall)... but that's my anamorphic monomania speaking.
    As it is a 135 format sensor would be 16K with this sensor.

Anamorphic full height would be very nice.

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    Ontario Canada
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Lovely Note.

JB
    Yes, Note, thanks for sharing the lovely pictures.

It's funny that we can see the depth and nuance to color and tone even in the lower res uploads here. It just goes to show that it isn't just the high resolution of the capture that is contributing to the fidelity of the image.