Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    [HANDS ON] URSA Mini Pro 12K RAW & GEN 5 Color Science *DOWNLOAD FOOTAGE*

Oy vey! I knew that this video was going off the rails at 4:10, and indeed by 4:20 (total coincidence!) it truly did.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jonathan View Post
    Kholi could you link me? So far I've only been following on EOSHD and the official BM-Forum but those threads have mostly devolved into complete shitfests.. Unfortunately the bmcuser-forum seems to be completely dead these days!
    DVXUser is still a good place for a mature discussion.
    Frank Glencairn
    DOP - Director - Colorist

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    DVXUser is still a good place for a mature discussion.
    Unfortunately the BMD link still goes to the defunct forum.

Hey.

Here’s some examples of the in-camera scaling. 8K and 4K shots along with some off speed work as well..

https://vimeo.com/440479199

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    Ontario Canada
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Hey.

Here’s some examples of the in-camera scaling. 8K and 4K shots along with some off speed work as well..

JB
    Thank you! Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post

John thanks for those shots! Here is an idea/thought that crossed my mind while watching this. Now usually for most projects I have a fixed workflow in terms of codec, resolution and so so. The only exception to that are usuallly VFX shots or plates. But how about switching that up more flexibly? Bear with me here for a second - obviously this would need a lot of convincing for everyone else involved in the workflow - but what if you shoot within the same scene the wide shot in 12k, the two shot in 8k and switch to 4k for the close ups? Almost like who one adapts diffusion filters according to the focal length. The wide shot might have lots of fine details like the leaves in the background of JB's material that warrants 12k. But for a close up of a person's face 4k might be more flattering?

Thinking a little more about it, to me this isn't actually all that crazy. I believe there's actually a model for that in Hollywood in the way they used to (and still do to an extent) mix 70 and 35mm on certain productions, Dunkirk comes to mind of course, but there are other, older examples as well. Use the 70 wherever needed and then drop to 35 due to space constraints or budget reasons. Except we can now all do this with the same camera without any sensor crop restrictions, purely as a creative choice.

I think the best reasons to drop resolution is for frame rate or storage concerns. Otherwise, might as well manipulate in post?

You might actually be able to get a smoother look on close ups from a higher resolution capture. The key is more graduated transitions from skin flaws to regular skin. There is, of course, a lot more to the equation. Test, test, test.

Cheers - #19

Wow... This is a shocker. This could very well could be another defining moment in cinema camera history. I personally do not want to be the guinea pig and will wait for more real world footage but so far.. wow

Full sensor raw that's resolution independent is definitely a huge step in the right direction. None of that footage looked worse (after being compressed to 4k web delivery), which is awesome.

John, did you use diffusion filtration on the lower res capture (I recall you mentioning that you took it with you because you were worried 12k would be too aggressive on faces, but didn't end up using it because of the smoothness/glass factor)?
    Last edited by Mike P.; 07-22-2020 at 05:14 PM.