Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Trying to wrap my head around the differences between an RGB vs Bayer pattern sensor. Can someone explain why this camera can still shoot RAW without sensor cropping for the lower resolutions?
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia

Package for rent in South Florida with RED EPIC Dragon 6K, RED One, Sony a7S II, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon L lenses, Zeiss CP.2 T1.5 Super Speeds, EZ Rig + DJI Ronin & EZ Jib + Remote Head. Grip package with LED LitePanels 1X1, Kino Flo 4x4, ARRI Fresnels & Source Four Leko. Rentals/Equipment List: http://facetmedia.com/camera-packages/

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Zananiri View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arri-Alexa-...kAAOSwr05eDkPQ

Same scene. Not same footage. In other words, which camera would you rather use for such a project?
    Oh, now it's not the same footage? Ok.
    I'd charge my financier for Alexa but secretly I'd use Ursa, so I can keep the change. You?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Palmer View Post
    Trying to wrap my head around the differences between an RGB vs Bayer pattern sensor. Can someone explain why this camera can still shoot RAW without sensor cropping for the lower resolutions?
    I think Grant said that it performs the scaling on the sensor hardware. What this means exactly, I haven't heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pultz View Post
    I think Grant said that it performs the scaling on the sensor hardware. What this means exactly, I haven't heard.
    Any negatives to this way of doing it?
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia

Package for rent in South Florida with RED EPIC Dragon 6K, RED One, Sony a7S II, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon L lenses, Zeiss CP.2 T1.5 Super Speeds, EZ Rig + DJI Ronin & EZ Jib + Remote Head. Grip package with LED LitePanels 1X1, Kino Flo 4x4, ARRI Fresnels & Source Four Leko. Rentals/Equipment List: http://facetmedia.com/camera-packages/

Not sure, hopefully somebody does some comparisons.

Depends exactly on how the binning / line skipping is done. If skipping, possibly more aliasing. And you may get more noise in the overall image vs doing a full readout (but remember you get more noise if doing a crop because that's not a full readout either). With both crop and binning the pixels aren't more noisy but since you're reading less pixels, you have less data to average out the noise. BUT some binning setups are really good and better than a crop for noise.

Let's see how this one does. Personally this beats a crop any day for me. I always hated the crop aspect of Red - this is another reason I love the Alexa Mini with its full-frame 200fps 2K ProRes.

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

From my very dim understanding... the sampling is happening on sensor. So that means on the sensor it can just over sample downwards from the adjacent pixels due to them being symmetrical but this creates issues on a Bayer pattern sensor due to the two green samples not being symmetrical? Sorry if I'm way off.
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia

I don't necessarily think it's *just* the RGB of the sensor that allows it to do the full-sensor at lower resolution (which, as mentioned, every flavour of Alexa have always done, after debayering/encoding to prores). It sounds more like it was just designed from the ground up to do it that way, since it's what everyone prefers... Like I'd bet it has as much to do with how BRAW encodes/captures as it does the design of the sensor. (Here's hoping Canon can do similar with the R5's 4k modes).

I'm also hoping that for lower-res, it still reads all the pixels, it just groups them in bigger chunks/clumps (so not line-skipping, but more photosites together for the resulting pixels of the lower-resolution). Granted, I don't know if that's how it's done.

Side note: What's the highest resolution APS-C stills camera? Cause 80mp *has* to be up there.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 07-17-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I don't necessarily think it's *just* the RGB of the sensor is what allows it to do the full-sensor at lower resolution (which, as mentioned, every flavour of Alexa have always done, after debayering/encoding to prores). It sounds more like it was just designed from the ground up to do it that way, since it's what everyone prefers... Like I'd bet it has as much to do with how BRAW encodes/captures as it does the design of the sensor. (Here's hoping Canon can do similar with the R5's 4k modes).

I'm also hoping that for lower-res, it still reads all the pixels, it just groups them in bigger chunks/clumps (so not line-skipping, but more photosites together for the resulting pixels of the lower-resolution). Granted, I don't know if that's how it's done.

Side note: What's the highest resolution APS-C stills camera? Cause 80mp *has* to be up there.
    80mp is higher than I have ever seen. It should be close to out resolving most lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    I don't necessarily think it's *just* the RGB of the sensor is what allows it to do the full-sensor at lower resolution (which, as mentioned, every flavour of Alexa have always done, after debayering/encoding to prores). It sounds more like it was just designed from the ground up to do it that way, since it's what everyone prefers... Like I'd bet it has as much to do with how BRAW encodes/captures as it does the design of the sensor. (Here's hoping Canon can do similar with the R5's 4k modes).

Thank you... why can't RED do the same with a Bayer pattern... is there something in the codec preventing this or slowing it down? What is happening here folks... I don't understand why RED can't do this. I don't care about 12k or 8k... but I do care about a better oversampled 4k RAW file from a full sensor read out. That is huge... oversampled and RAW also. Also why can't ARRI shoot lower resolutions in RAW from a full sensor read out? I'm figuring the Bayer pattern (green sites) makes this difficult in RAW mode.
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia