Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    And its has built internal ND filter aswell. Hope they going for an kick as auto focus in future cameras. I dig that red finally putting there efforts in developing a great AF!
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Wow!
    Editing 12K on a laptop sounds fantastic. My MacPro struggles with 6K :)
    There are a lot of great options out now. I’m exited to see the a7s III specs in a few days.

OMG, can some one please address the big gorgeous white rhino-elephant in the room? Editing 12k in a laptop like it was 720p prores?
    The specs are big, sure, but nothing as big as the innovation in terms of new technology. This seems like RED 2.0 on steroids. Phil, Greame, JB, can you guys please describe in more detail what you know aside from specs, but directly into what the new sensor and codec mean? Seriously please!

Is bmcuser.com still the main forum for BM cameras? I just poked my head in there and it seems dead. There are more posts on this RU thread than there are on bmcuser for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    Is bmcuser.com still the main forum for BM cameras? I just poked my head in there and it seems dead. There are more posts on this RU thread than there are on bmcuser for the day.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    That was a good forum. Then at one point they seemed to do an update. Many people (myself included) couldn't log in or post anymore and everything just went dead. It's a shame.

JB, if I remember correctly you were using an OLPF with the G2. I have been considering one for mine as well, but I'm thinking that with a 12K sensor it perhaps isn't very necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pultz View Post
    That was a good forum. Then at one point they seemed to do an update. Many people (myself included) couldn't log in or post anymore and everything just went dead. It's a shame.
    Yeah it's been screwed for a long time and has been non functional. It's a shame as it had it's own great community but there's no love for it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pultz View Post
    JB, if I remember correctly you were using an OLPF with the G2. I have been considering one for mine as well, but I'm thinking that with a 12K sensor it perhaps isn't very necessary?
    I haven't seen any aliasing. The only time I have, it was on the very fine weave of one of the girls dresses, but it turned out it was just the REAL aliasing of doubled over tule. It was aliasing to the naked eye !

So I haven't seen anything yet, and I'm sure that's down to being a 12K image. I have four of the RAWLITE OLPF's in the G2's I carry, but to me I preferred the IR filtering that Hans had come up with over the weakish stock IR filter in the G2.

So far I haven't had a chance to really go after my favourite light source, real tungsten, and see how the IR goes, but in normal shooting conditions I haven't seen any major issues, just doing exteriors and the regular built in ND's.

There may be some IR, but I haven't seen it, but I did only get my final build camera yesterday, so I'll be doing some more extensive flogging shortly...

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Yonkers View Post
    OMG, can some one please address the big gorgeous white rhino-elephant in the room? Editing 12k in a laptop like it was 720p prores?
    The specs are big, sure, but nothing as big as the innovation in terms of new technology. This seems like RED 2.0 on steroids. Phil, Greame, JB, can you guys please describe in more detail what you know aside from specs, but directly into what the new sensor and codec mean? Seriously please!
    I'm a camera guy, not a geek nerd guy, but here's my lay understanding...

The codec was always designed with working with files like this in mind. They went for efficiency and tried to make it a "smart" codec with the way it deals with both metadata and has it's sidecar files.

It seems to work even in primitive computing setups. I know Kholi has a pretty old IMAC and he was cutting on it.

My 2017 MacBook Pro was grading and playing back real time clips even when I had three or four nodes on...

When it came to final render, the 8K ProRes HQ output took about 3 hours with all the FORCE HIGH QUALITY and SCALING options checked....

It's good and it just works and you don't even think about it. No proxies or caching...

The RAW tab gives you a good range of controls and that's where I do most of the heavy lifting. Sometimes occasional LGG and some curves. Also the new Gen5 colour science is great. Works retrospectively too, so it can be applied to any BRAW footage, including for the P4K and P6K cameras.

I tried some chroma noise reduction as well, just because I could and that slows things down a little but not hugely.

The sensor itself wouldn't work without this codec. You can't do the in camera scaling and other trickery unless you have this codec working with the sensor. I think there was a lot of speculation about dropping DNG being a response to IP concerns, but in reality it was because this was coming and was the only way to deal with this much resolution. Even ProRes wouldnt work at 12K and wouldnt talk to the sensor in the same way.

This codec is optimised based on what the sensor is doing and if the sensor and codec are designed together, then you get this as the result...

The compression rates are pretty crazy. I shot a little piece a couple of days ago in 12K at Q5 and I got 70 mins onto a single 256 Gb CFAST card. I believe the compression rate is floating between 50:1 and 90:1 and honestly, it looked pretty good !!

A lot of the shot's you've seen are shot at higher rates that fill a 256GB card in 4 mins, but it's nice to have the flexibility, and to have all of those rates playback on "old" computers...

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Awesome! I'd love to finally be done with aliasing and moire. I'm curious how the 8K scaling works. Maybe somebody will do a test with 12K ->4K delivery and 8K -> 4K delivery and compare the end results for resolution and noise. I'm interested in 8K for the higher frame rates and lower rolling shutter time.