Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    - Being able to save to 2 cards. I think there is no reason for Red not being able to save to 2 cards in say a Raid 1 solution. I lost 2 cards, and one was not recoverable so now I'm always worried when I capture something really special in the field.
    You've lost *two* REDmags? Mini-Mags or 1.8s"? (Or do you mean, you've lose two 3rd party cards in other cameras, so basically want redundancy to compensate?)

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    Curtis, congrats, you are now a "cool kid"!

Michael -- you hit it on the head. Brain costs are no longer the cost driver and accessory costs are no longer in the noise.
    You must be new here. Iím not.

Curtis is a great guy. Iíd like to see his CC in 12k.

I hope RED responds fittingly to what the market will be by the time DSMC3 is released.

Official Ursa Mini Pro 12K site

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...gicursaminipro

6 Braw clips from the Ursa Mini Pro 12k, 3 each on the pages of the links below under the African American female photo.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...gicursaminipro

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro.../blackmagicraw

You will need Davinci Resolve 16.3 Beta 1 to import and playback Ursa Mini Pro 12K Braw files Currently only MacOSX download available, No Windows version posted yet.

I'll delete this post after Peter's post of the download info.

Davinci Resolve Studio 16.3 Beta 1 for MacOSX
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/sup...2/Mac%20OS%20X

Davinci Resolve 16.3 Beta 1 for MacOSX
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/sup...e/Mac%20OS%20X

About DaVinci Resolve 16.3

The free DaVinci Resolve 16.3 includes all of the same high quality processing as DaVinci Resolve 16.3 Studio and can handle unlimited resolution media files. However it does limit project mastering and output to Ultra HD resolutions or lower. DaVinci Resolve 16.3 only supports a single processing GPU on Windows and Linux and 2 GPUs on the latest Mac Pro.

If you need features such as support for multiple GPUs, 4K output, motion blur effects, temporal and spatial noise reduction, de-interlacing, HDR tools, camera tracker, multiple Resolve FX, 3D stereoscopic tools, remote rendering, an external database server and collaboration tools that let multiple users work on the same project at the same time, please upgrade to DaVinci Resolve 16.3 Studio.

About DaVinci Resolve 16.3

What's new in DaVinci Resolve 16.3 Public Beta 1
    Support for Blackmagic RAW SDK 2.0 beta.
    General performance and stability improvements.
    Minimum system requirements for macOS
    macOS 10.14.6 Mojave
    16 GB of system memory. 32 GB when using Fusion
    Blackmagic Design Desktop Video version 10.4.1 or later
    Integrated GPU or discrete GPU with at least 2GB of VRAM.
    GPU which supports Metal or OpenCL 1.2.
    Installing DaVinci Resolve Software on Mac
    Double-click the DaVinci Resolve Installer icon and follow the onscreen instructions. To remove DaVinci Resolve from your system, double-click the Uninstall Resolve icon.

Additional Information

Please refer to the latest DaVinci Resolve Configuration Guide for your platform detailing support, including certified driver versions for third party hardware. It is available from www.blackmagicdesign.com/support.

You will also need to download and install the latest Blackmagic Design Desktop Video software for monitoring with your Blackmagic Design video hardware. Desktop Video is available from www.blackmagicdesign.com/support.

Updated July 16, 2020.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 07-16-2020 at 01:22 PM.

To bad I read everywhere we dont need higher than 4k capture. Then red came out with 6k and people ouside of reduser wined obout that...and then about 8k was meaningless. We cant se more than freaking 4k so stop with this maddness. Look I have this article from steve yeldin proving it... nobody will want to get a 12k kamera!

I have a feeling we going to se alot of neigh sayers praising this camera. Its a solid proof of what red has been showing the right direction since gecko. And I hope they get the respect they deserv for that part. Seams like an really impressive solution black magic come up with tin this release. Its an intresting time to be an filmaker. Im still way happy for both my helium and mysterium x. But, i aplaud this release!
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

I canít believe it, Blackmagic pulled a RED on RED! We were all excited about new 6K and 8K options and they haul out 12K! Back when the RED One came out it was 1080p HD and 2K being all the talk and now we have this. Say what you will but this will most likely kill the used market for RED cameras, why pay $10K for 6K when you can get 12K? Donít get me wrong, I want to film my next feature on RED but we canít afford the expense of a VV 8K RED, RED monitor, all new Minimags, battery connectors, and cage/shoulder setup but an Ursa 12K with some CFast or USB-C storage, a Nikon F mount, V-Mount plate, left over universal 15mm/19mm RED One MX support gear, and weíre good to go. The only thing that would make the Ursa 12K better is if someone fast tracks a FF35 speed booster for it until a FF35 model comes out down the line. I hope DSMC3 takes a lot of this into consideration, especially pricing and less proprietary parts.

I still feel pulled way more toward sensor size over resolution. Speed booster could be a big factor on this cam.
    Im sure 12k will be cool for VFX, but not something that attracts me personally at the moment.

Competition is brutal right now. Maybe this brings 8K VV down in cost, which would be incredible.
    FACTION
    wearefaction.com

Really cool announcement. Was impressed with what the BMD team is able to do with 12K playback on a MacBook Pro and nine streams of 12k playback on the Mac Pro. Skin tones/color looked nice, for what I could tell over the steam. Didn't really look like they were pushing their color grade, so I really want to play around with their new color science. Always felt that BMD color science was more like the color of crayons, just kind of thick and heavy, so interested in where they've taken it.

Watching the BMD camera update video and I noticed around 57:50 he moved the camera, and it looked like there was some noticeable rolling shutter effect going on. Didn't look like it was that fast of a movement. Wonder if the new sensor tech has a more extreme rolling shutter effect than normal. Not really fair to say there's an issue since it's over a stream, but something I'm curious about.

Rolling shutter movement

Straight after movement

Regardless, really cool announcement of BMD.
    Benjamin Jarvis - Multiple hats kind of guy

Hydrogen Houdini #62

Can anyone comment on the sensor tech being used...? From what I read It's a non Bayer pattern sensor with equal amount of red blu and green.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    To bad I read everywhere we dont need higher than 4k capture. Then red came out with 6k and people ouside of reduser wined obout that...and then about 8k was meaningless. We cant se more than freaking 4k so stop with this maddness. Look I have this article from steve yeldin proving it... nobody will want to get a 12k kamera!

I have a feeling we going to se alot of neigh sayers praising this camera. Its a solid proof of what red has been showing the right direction since gecko. And I hope they get the respect they deserv for that part. Seams like an really impressive solution black magic come up with tin this release. Its an intresting time to be an filmaker. Im still way happy for both my helium and mysterium x. But, i aplaud this release!
    To be fair, even if you took away the "12K/60fps at 5:1" from the BUMP12k, the ground-up proprietary RGB sensor, resolution independent full sensor downscale, and BRAW playback performance (none of which RED does or has ever done) are what give this camera potential.

In fact, the 12k/60 is only a realistic option because they covered their bases so well... No one wanted to deal with 4k+ when it required tons of expensive computer power and tons of storage, but BRAW alleviates both those concerns arguably better than anyone (you did see Grant playing back 9 - friggen NINE - streams of 12k in real-time, right? And having ~433mins of 12k BRAW Q5 to a comparatively inexpensive external USBc drive?)... Oh, and sub-$10k in a shootable package out of the box?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Farokhzad View Post
    Can anyone comment on the sensor tech being used...? From what I read It's a non Bayer pattern sensor with equal amount of red blu and green.
    From the sounds of it, it's completely new from the ground-up by BMD (aka nothing else like it, not bayer, and tuned to get the most out of BRAW). He mentioned they've got the patents so it could be a major shift in image tech if it's any good (and can eventually get phase detect autofocus. heh.). But, yeah, all we know is that it has equal red, green, and blue photosites/pixels, which I think is a first for anything 4K+ (certainly anything mass market)... Should have better colour (which should mean better mixed light performance), and allows for easier downscaling and compression maybe (presumably because you don't need to take it in R,G,G,B sets of pixels required by bayer pattern). That's all I got from the very brief mentions, so take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 07-16-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Are you implying something? Global shutter by way of reading off alternative sets of pixels? It would explain 6k and 40fps limit... (and, yes, kidding.)

I'm also excited to see Gen5 on Pocket 4k and 6k footage.

And, again, 80mp a frame?? Ouuf. I wanna see 12K High ISO downscaled to 4K... like its ISO800 base, so you might be able to just crank it before noise gets unruly when delivering 4k.

Personally would've preferred FF35, but how can you not appreciate sub-$10k 12K/60fps!

Coming from RED, I don't think this will be too new for many of us... *other than* it being sooooo much more. 12K is *more than* 2x 8k. (e.g. stabilization, reframe, digi-zooms, vfx, etc etc.)... To be honest, I think the RGB will be as much of a boon for those things... Like I'm hoping you can push the image more before it breaks down because the sensor isn't lacking a set of typically harder to capture pixels *cough*blue channel*cough*

Look forward to your thoughts (and John's)
    I'll have some thoughts up soon, I think JB will have his up before though and hit many points.

Everyone is looking at the 12K, but missing the more important things and that's okay. It'll hit soon. I'm really glad to see others pointing at what the new sensor tech means, 80MP, full sensor 8K and 4K etc.

In response to your previous post: all of my camera testing was filtered through a 2015 MacBook Pro that can barely open websites, and a 2015 iMac of the lowest caliber. I was able to cut 12K and color 12K on both, and the pipeline has been vastly improved.