Thread: using Micro 4/3 lenses on Komodo - options

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 using Micro 4/3 lenses on Komodo - options 
    So the flange distance for EOS - R is 20mm and the Micro 4/3 is like 19.5mm so making a simple mechanical adapter isn't physically possible.... However

I've been thinking that possibly the EOS R mount could be removed all together and be replaced with a MTF mount... Obviously this would be a bigger deal than just an adapter, but maybe theres a need for some.

There are some cool very affordable cinema MFT lenses out there including some anamorphic lenses. The komodo windowed to 4K would be about the right size for MFT so seems like a good option.

Am I just crazy? Seeing that a ton of BMD 6K pocket guys pushed enough to get a 3rd party company to make a PL hard mount, replacing the BMD's original canon mount. Maybe this is another one of those situations? Just thinking outside the box for other lens mount options.

You could still use an adapter to go to PL from MFT, as well as other mounts, so it wouldn't hurt your options much. Not many cinema lenses for EOS R so MTF seems a better shallow mount option for cinema glass. You'd lose electronics, but most cinema glass just needs the physical mount anyway.
    Last edited by Joesef o.; 07-03-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Probably better to use a mount adapter with refocusing optics. There would be light loss for sure, but you would gain full sensor coverage with no direct and difficult camera modifications.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Does anyone else see the irony here?

This has been discussed several times before...
    The conclusion from the discussion is: It should be possible to make a lens mount adapter because of the different mount diameters.
    MFT is 38mm, Canon RF is 54mm in diameter; so it would be feasible to recess the MFT mount by about 0.75mm into the RF mount. Happy milling!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    Does anyone else see the irony here?
    Absolutely lol, believe me, this is more of a thought experiment to engineering than anything else. Mainly for the use of Vazen anamorphic lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
    This has been discussed several times before...
    The conclusion from the discussion is: It should be possible to make a lens mount adapter because of the different mount diameters.
    MFT is 38mm, Canon RF is 54mm in diameter; so it would be feasible to recess the MFT mount by about 0.75mm into the RF mount. Happy milling!
    Ah perfect, thanks, makes sense, so there you go, got my answer haha.

I have an eye on these Rokinon mirrorless aps-c primes designed for various mounts, including M43 that has the same flange distance as Canon RF.
    Love them because they're optically good abd very small, it would be a nice fit with the Komodo. But I'm wondering if it would be possible to adapt them to RF.
    12f2, 21f1.4, 35f1.2, 50f1.2, 85f1.8:
    -12mm: https://www.rokinon.com/lenses/digit...enses/12mm-f20
    -21mm: https://www.rokinon.com/lenses/digit...enses/21mm-f14
    -35mm: https://www.rokinon.com/lenses/digit...enses/35mm-t12
    -50mm: https://www.rokinon.com/lenses/digit...enses/50mm-f12
    -85mm: https://www.rokinon.com/lenses/digit...mm-f18-compact

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    FWIW, some Micro 4/3 lenses will cover S35. I have one that does, but it's a collapsible zoom and you have to focus with the zoom barrel. The usable image circle is limited to the wide end only.

I have no doubt that once Komodo demand goes off the boil, Red will seriously consider other mounts.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

I mentioned it early on that indeed some of this was "possible" as mentioned, more often though removing, shaving, and adapting. Since then I believe Meike is actually releasing some of the MFT primes in RF mount, if I recall right the 25mm and up cover 6K on Komodo. Just been ages since I've checked.

Don't know if it's really a hot take at this point, but if you've been following along this past year there's a host of lenses coming for both Super 35mm as a format as well as new RF Mount lenses. Some are alarmingly inexpensive for what they provide. Others are pricey for often good reasons.

The real questions will be:
    - What are you looking for from the lens or lenses? (Primes, Zooms, Speed, Size?)
    - Spherical or Anamorphic?
    - What's your budget?
    - What lens character are you after? (Cleaner, Funky, Breathing, etc?)

Cheapest rarely equates to best in any of those situations, but cheapest is indeed cheapest. Which certainly inspires creativity like this. Personally with what's out there and what's coming, I think there's better ways to spend time and cash.

Lens market is getting more and more saturated every week across all notable formats. Some people creating some fascinating things these days. Some people ignoring some much needed areas.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon