Thread: Video Production Monitor - Flander Scientific, Sony, or other

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Video Production Monitor - Flander Scientific, Sony, or other 
    Looking in adding a video production monitor in the $3-4K range for working on set with displaying camera signal, and also doing for post work mainly light color grading/having an accurate calibration to rec709.

I've been considering the Flanders Scientific DM 170/240 though it is LCD. Have heard good things on its function for on set/post and their customer support.

Is there a Sony that would be a good competitor, or any other LCD/OLED in the $3-4K price range that should look into?

Thanks.

I have a DM240 but have only used it for post. It's a great monitor and FSI does have good customer service. It'll cost you some extra $$$ to get it set ready though.

Thanks.
    Mainly will be monitoring SDI signal on the video monitor from Red camera, and applying conversion to show a rec709 type of picture.
    I thought the ports in the Flanders DM would be ready to go for on set monitoring with SDI and such.
    Can you confirm on what components you mean for extra $$ to get it set ready?

The monitor is very well built and robust, but it's not meant to take a beating like the SmallHd production monitors. If I were to bring it on set I would want/need: a hard transport case (FSI $695), Protective cover (FSI $185 - 225), and a light/c stand adaptor (FSI $230). For coloring you'll want to get calibaration software/probe which will be at least $500, and a BMD mini monitor $145 at the minimum. It's not too much extra money if you're ready to invest in a color critical monitor for grading, but something to think about. There might be third party options but I'm not aware of them. Also, keep in mind that its 450 Nits max, so probably not ideal for bright set situations.

I dont see any one talking about the black magic smart view 4k.

Its a 4k monitor that looks like it has all the ports you need and its only 995$

Check it out, if anyone has used this or has any thoughts on it please let me know. I need a production monitor as well and this looks like the best for the price.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/smartview4k

The FSI LCDs are excellent. For set or post. The Sony A250 and A170s are likewise hard to beat. SmallHD and BMD is junk if you are concerned about proper calibration/image.
    Adrian Jebef
    DIT
    www.jebefcorp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jebef View Post
    The FSI LCDs are excellent. For set or post. The Sony A250 and A170s are likewise hard to beat. SmallHD and BMD is junk if you are concerned about proper calibration/image.
    ^^^^^^ This

Cheers - #19

Agree
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

I appreciate it, leaning to FS & Sony

Flanders gives lifetime free calibration so you do not need to own calibaration software/probe. You just pay for shipping to and from Flanders.