Thread: Red top handle with outrigger handle- is it possible?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red top handle with outrigger handle- is it possible? 
    Hey everyone! Iíve finally made my RED purchase. Should be coming by the end of the week or early next week. Ending up going with the weapon 6k MG

As Iím gathering accessories,Iím back with another newbie question lol. I found a good deal on the rubber top handle which Iím guessing isnít sold anymore. My only question is, From looking at the pictures on the top of the camera, I see the outrigger handle screws in where the top handle would go? The more I researched and searched, I realized I donít see many setups where people are running the rubber top handle and the outrigger handle, I mainly see people with the DSMC2 side handle. Is it possible to have both on at the same time. I see there are screw holes towards the back of the camera as well but donít know how that works since the top handle has those contacts for the record buttons. Any help would be appreciated before I order this handle and it doesnít work. Ideally Iíd wait until the camera comes in but donít want to miss this good deal!

Hereís the rubber handle for reference
    https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/552...mc2-top-handle
    Instagram.com/kerrylofton
    Vimeo.com/Klofton

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Lofton View Post
    My only question is, From looking at the pictures on the top of the camera, I see the outrigger handle screws in where the top handle would go? The more I researched and searched, I realized I don’t see many setups where people are running the rubber top handle and the outrigger handle, I mainly see people with the DSMC2 side handle. Is it possible to have both on at the same time.
    Congrats to your purchase. If I recall correctly, you won't be able to use RED's R/S top handle and the outrigger handle at the same time. They're using the same 3 pins for R/S triggering. Top handle and DSMC2 Side Handle should work. You should also know that this top handle is too long and interferes when swapping V-Mount batteries. Wooden Camera's R/S top handle can be shortened, making it possible to swap V-Mount batteries, but don't take this info for granted, better check it yourself. If you're using AB Gold mount batteries, don't care. You have to ask yourself how important R/S triggering on the top handle is? Another solution would be to use the outrigger handle and mounting an external R/S trigger to a normal / non-electronic top handle. The following product fits 15mm LWS rod clamps which many top handles have:

https://cinegears.com/product/cinege...ger-package-2/

I think you will have to set the right protocol in the menu to make it work.
    Hope this helps.

P.S. I don't own a RED yet...just for clarification.
    Last edited by Thomas B.; 06-24-2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: additional information

Thanks Thomas!

I ended up reading that on red’s website. No worries, the handle ended up getting snatched away from me on MPB anyway. I’ll probably just run with the outrigger handle until I upgrade to the dsmc2 side handle at which point I’ll find a top handle solution. I’ll be using gold mount batteries so no worries on the interference. Definitely appreciate the help!!
    Instagram.com/kerrylofton
    Vimeo.com/Klofton