Thread: RCX can't handle long take

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RCX can't handle long take 
    I'm trying to open a 10-minute HDRx clip in RCX 52, and it just hangs. It pegs the CPUs pretty hard for a bit, then I get a beachball.

I'm only using RCX because FCP doesn't support HDRx, so I'm trying to export separate ProRes files. I've had success exporting the two streams using REDline, but unfortunately I'm not dialing in the right settings and the X track is coming out way overexposed, which it was not. It would just be easier if I had it working in RCX.

I was on version 51 and had the same issue. No change when I upgraded to 52.

Other relevant specs:
    macOS 10.14.6
    iMac Pro
    128 GB RAM
    Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Anyone have thoughts on what might be causing the issue? In the mean time, I'll see if I can decipher these command line options ...

I’ve not had issues with RCX and HDRx, but Resolve will handle HDRx as well. May be an option for you.

Thanks for the tip, Stephen. Update: it turns out that it just took an extremely long time to process the 128GB R3D. I wonder if it has to do with the 15,000 markers on the clip (time-lapse, one marker on every frame).

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Greene View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Stephen. Update: it turns out that it just took an extremely long time to process the 128GB R3D. I wonder if it has to do with the 15,000 markers on the clip (time-lapse, one marker on every frame).
    Wow a single 128gig clip? Yeah that's a lot. Even Resolve (especially back in the day) would hang up on long takes (30mins or more).
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv