Thread: Apple Announces Move to Custom ARM Processors in New Macs

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Apple Dumps Intel — Explained! (WWDC 2020)

By Rene Ritchie

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    They won't.
    Define fail?

Anyone needing top end performance has already left the platform. They really don’t have much to lose by trying.

Perhaps we will ultimately see Apple helping Microsoft help Apple?

+) Microsoft need Performant ARM chip with a guaranteed roadmap - for Windows On Arm (WoA) to take off.
    That first performant machine could well be an ARM Mac with Bootcamp running WoA.

+) Perhaps this is an opportunity for Microsoft to tie themselves to Apple's success and ask Apple to be their ARM OEM?
    A guaranteed annual performance improvement would be welcomed by MS, and third party software companies would
    prioritise porting their code to ARM - which would take the Rosetta stigma away.

AJ

The OS agnosticism is a big one for me. Right now I can boot my MBP in Linux, Windows, or any of three different MacOS versions depending on which SSD I attach. That comes in very handy. Being locked to one OS, especially if is only the latest version(s) of that OS, would be tough. That said I am happy to see Apple get away from Intel.

Med D,

That was what I liked about the 2006 17inch macbook pro I had for almost 10 years. I could boot up in either Snow leopard or Windows 8 and I could also transfer files between the two OSs. How Apple's ARM processors will affect Bootcamp or Parallels nobody knows or if they will be useful at all anymore. Buying a Mac with Intel processors was like having two computers platforms in one.

Microsoft have been trying to move onto ARM several time over the last decade - citing the desire for the PC platform to be on the same architecture of mobile (phone) devices (and not the other way around).

NVidia is also keen to cements its position in this emerging (ARM HPC and ARM Super) space : https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit/arm
    Ampere (the company) - are a lead partner on this; The results of which should enable seamless Window-On-Arm + CUDA system to run.

In 3 years time, we may find Linux, Windows, MacOS are all supported on ARM - but x86 will loose MacOS.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Newman View Post
    guaranteed annual performance improvement
    Famous last words!

Anthony

I hope you're right, it would be nice to know that if I ever go back to Mac after being on the PC for the last 4 years that I will be going back to a much better system for a possible dual boot Windows and a much better Mac OS.

Is Apple's Betrayal the END of Intel?

By Linus Tech Tips

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Linux will be no problem - you can compile Linux for so many CPU architectures that some of them are unknown even to people on this site (including me). I have installed Linux on several phones this past year, just to play around with. No GUI but that would make no sense on a phone.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)