Thread: Apple Announces Move to Custom ARM Processors in New Macs

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Apple Announces Move to Custom ARM Processors in New Macs 
    Apple Announces Major Move to Custom ARM Processors in New Macs

By cinema5d

https://www.cinema5d.com/apple-annou...s-in-new-macs/

It will be interesting to see how long it is before we see Apple chips in a Macbook Pro or an iMac. I suspect they will have specialized chips specifically for Macs much like they have iPad pro chips. They also spoke about Intel products in the pipeline which means they probably won't have any major Mac announcements for Apple Silicon this year. Was pretty cool to see that Final Cut is already up and running, I remember when they switched to Intel I think it was 2007 maybe late 2006 before they had Final Cut ported to intel.

Craig,

I remember years back when Apple were using I believe Motorola chips before they eventually went to using Intel ones. My 17 inch Macbook Pro 2006 model finally died about 4 years ago, I've been on a PC ever since. I wonder if the "bootcamp" app, that I used to have one partition for mac and another for windows, will be significantly affected by the new Apple chip. Since I'm guessing that Windows probably won't run smoothly or at all with the Apple chip, what will become of it. Also how will this affect "Hackintosh" builds.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    When Apple moved to Intel, I thought it was surreal, because Intel chips at that time were running awfully hot. But I was not to know that the M processors were on their way.

This move is not surprising. Apple refuses to hold onto things for longer than they need to. This is why I'm predicting a brand new OS that will be announced next year, 20 years after OS X debuted in 2001. It will possibly be Haiku based.

ARM is the basis of the world's fastest supercomputer:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ul/ar-BB15PODI
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Apple transitions to ARM for Mac

Excerpt from WWDC 2020 Special Event Keynote

for more on the new Custom silicon from Apple, go to the 1:26:05 mark to about the 1:33:05 mark of the WWDC 2020 Special Event Keynote

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...note-%97-Apple
    Last edited by rand thompson; 06-22-2020 at 08:20 PM.

With macOS’ ever increasing leverage of GPU, it is going to be very interesting to see if Apple’s Graphics team finally great a change to spread their wings and create a desktop GPU.
    8 ‘big’ Apple ARM cores tightly integrated with a (speculative) wide Apple GPU could make for a very capable laptop.

Programs that use ‘hacked’ code kernel extensions to sort out the rough edges (to extend the os) may have access issues in Big Sur (ie wont run).
    Properly written kernel extensions (that Apple laid the groundwork for over the last two years) should be more amenable to Rosetta2.

For Apple to ‘win’ people over (and no need for Hakintoshes) - they will ultimately need more performant hardware or at least hardware that has not apparent ‘Apple Tax’.

AJ

I just donít want to see Apple pull an Intel and eek out performance of their silicon little by little. If theyíve got the goods to deliver their own CPU and GPU performance over Intel or AMD then bust it out and crush the competition like AMD is doing with its multiple core strategy over Intel right now. They need to truly make the distinction between buying a Windows PC versus buying an Apple Mac and establish dominance while they can. There is no upper line to preserve or server space to aim for, they can just make the fastest machine with the most cores and clock speed they can and they donít need to worry about optimization as itís for their own software. If they fail at this and it becomes another G5 situation where they will need to crawl back to Intel or AMD then it will probably be the end of the Macintosh system.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    If they fail at this
    They won't.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

I for one, think this sounds like a great idea. Who would know better than Apple what it needs for faster performance? They've been at this for a while now first with Motorola, then Intel, now this.

What I can say with certainty is FCPX is much faster on my old 2013 Macbook Pro laptop than Premiere. Being able to fine-tune their own products seems only natural and beneficial.

Apple is building its own Mac CPUs, does this mean ARM has won? | Upscaled

By
    Engadget