Thread: Censorship on the "RED Komodo Uses" facebook group

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Audy Erel View Post
    Tomasz is actually defending Komodo in the other forum a couple of days ago when everyone is bashing the camera. See my screen capture below.
    Uh... he's bashing a member of the community in the same breath, is he not?

I don’t even have a fb account it’s a cesspool in fact I am conflicted by IG because it is owned by fb. It’s a cluttered trash mess on that site.......
    Scarlet-W 9706
    Alexa Mini

I posted a link to comments in a “news shooting” review site on the Komodo, so the ‘USERS here (of which I am one) could see what the general shooting population are saying and thinking. It was deleted off Reduser immediately.

Seems like a fairly reporting website as well, especially towards red. As a fanboy from the beginning, this turns me off too. Let people talk shit if they’re going to, let them discuss and be critical. Other side to that is others will believe what they read.

Exact Andrew.
    But what is worrying is that Jarred (or the venerable Phil Holland) seems to follow them…
    and indeed, it seems that it is new, with the arrival of the Komodo, even on Redusers we may be threatened with a warning for certain remarks… (however without aggressiveness or questionable words)
    I think we must start by no longer following these damned social media groups ... and be content with the forums visited mainly by professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Deshoux View Post
    Exact ! social media is a disease… a virus !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Deshoux View Post
    Exact Andrew.
    But what is worrying is that Jarred (or the venerable Phil Holland) seems to follow them…
    and indeed, it seems that it is new, with the arrival of the Komodo, even on Redusers we may be threatened with a warning for certain remarks… (however without aggressiveness or questionable words)
    I think we must start by no longer following these damned social media groups ... and be content with the forums visited mainly by professionals.
    I can't speak for every person put in a moderation position on a facebook group, web forum, or mailing list; but I do have perspective on the hurdles, demands, and surprises involved from being a mod here and elsewhere since about 2000 or so.

The first thing to identify is that whether you are on Facebook, REDuser, or even a comment section on a news site; all of these things are indeed "Social Media". Sites run by other entities with rules clearly posted or not. Short of creating your own website and airing your thoughts (two which you are eventually moderated by the hosting company and even service provided to a degree), you are sharing your thoughts in other's houses and are asked play by their rules. Censorship (and likely more aptly put curating, moderating, and editing) of content, discussion, and users is always going to be present in web communities run by others. Some certainly overreach. Ideally a balance can be achieved if everybody is well behaved.

I didn't see what exactly went down here regarding the Facebook posts, I was doing stuff in the real world at the time, but whatever the case the whole post was deleted. Somewhere in there somebody was likely offended by something. And the first thing to do in that case is reach out to the moderator or moderators to get to the bottom of it. In this case, it's rather odd posting the complain here as the two world are not related, though the topics and interest overlap as well as often the members.

Here at REDuser it's pretty cut and dry. Generally I'm still astonished that we have a high bar of working professionals visiting and contributing to this forum for so long. Often after some time things taper off due to general community chaos and that has indeed had an impact here, but overall things are very on point. Mostly we are all working professionals and have open discussion and discourse whether we agree with each other (or even like each other) or not. Being an international forum adds a bit of chaos into the mix as cultural differences, morality variances, and other concepts occasionally wildly differ from an individual's unique perspective. However, universally a polite poster is a globally well received contributor and that's the path the success even when expressing criticism or concern.

Moderation is honestly hard work here and other places I am placed in the trusted position. I take a lot of personal pride in this community as well as the filmmaking community as a whole and the task of moderating in a mine field of fake identities, fraudulent sales, spam, various scams, personal attacks, sifting through content that really shouldn't be discussed on a camera/cinematography forum, and occasionally people just going "too far" are all things we try to ward off. I'm doing my best to keep things moving here and it does require a thicker skin than you can imagine, but this particular forum has a wealth of information about cameras, lenses, lighting, and generally cinematography for over a decade. Ideally we should all work to keeping that knowledge base alive and well while respecting each other.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

LOL post deleted again.

Priceless.

Well said Phil.

IMO threads like this are a monumental waste of energy and time. Let’s move on.

I'm sort of baffled by this thread. Facebook, in particular, is not a place you should look for "democracy", or the experience of it.

And Social Media does not guarantee you Freedom of Speech - all these platforms are privately owned.

I'm not saying this is good, but today in 2020 I assume this is understood?

And as others have said, if this really is a problem you can just start your own group.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    The first thing to identify is that whether you are on Facebook, REDuser, or even a comment section on a news site; all of these things are indeed "Social Media".
    The exact definition of 'social media' could be argued, but since it's completely irrelevant it might be best not to.

There is however a huge difference to me if the exchange of ideas take place on platforms that focus on "personalities" and their never ending fight over followers and "likes", or if the discussions happens on forums where its the actual product or topic that takes center stage and drives the participation.

And please, explain to me again how, if you have a company with an actual home page and a thriving forum, you would think it's a good idea to soft launch your products under Facebook's wings—a company that has demonstrably proven to completely disregard its users rights and interests and not shy away from even tampering with political campaigns.

I don't even think that Jarred is drip feeding his tidbits under the RED name on Facebook, but rather under his own name, correct?

While free speech is tied to the government, private entities will have to deal with the consequences of suppressing certain opinions. They may not be enforceable by law but the public backlash still exposes their hipocracy and hopefully cause public relations damage, undermine their popularity and question their motives. The cesspool of Facebook is the best example how that works. I think that's the intention of the OP. Doing quite well with that all things considered...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment