Thread: Monstro vs komodo whats your thoughts?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spider vs Fly..Why debate? If it helps you with your dream make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    As much as I love full-frame and would take that any day over s35 in order to get those wide-angle short DOF shots that looks like 65mm shots, Komodo is much more indie-friendly and easier to actually work with physically. I don't like heavy cameras, I don't like carrying around case after case just to get simple shots. Whatever people say about them preferring heavier systems for stability and whatnot, you are always more creative with a smaller system because you have a much greater pool of choices when working with it. Heavy systems may be good for doing traditional camera work, the usual, establishing shot, full shot, medium, closeup standard of filmmaking, but a small and light camera body makes you free to explore the visual language far more than you can do with heavier stuff. It's also easier to just bring the system to places where it would be unpractical with other cameras.

So, a Full Frame sensor in a Komodo body would have been the perfect system, but if you can cheaply solve the wide-angle part with a lens that gives you the same aesthetics as a fast wide-angle on full-frame, then Komodo is much better in my opinion and for indie feature stuff.
    Regarding matching the look of a bigger sensor.

A faster wider lens with a smaller image circle will do it.

A speedbooster will do it.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Regarding matching the look of a bigger sensor.

A faster wider lens with a smaller image circle will do it.

A speedbooster will do it.
    I don't know any speed booster that won't degrade the image quality though. And smaller image circle lenses usually also lower the edge to edge quality. Using wide and fast full-frame lenses on s35mm sensors increase the overall quality. There are a few out there, I mean, the Sigma 14mm is T1.4. The front element is tough though since it protrudes. One that I'm looking into is the RF 15-35 for use with the AF system and gimbals. It's F2.8, but also have IS stabilization, so when RF works on Komodo and if the IS system kicks in, that would be a hell of a zoom lens to use on it.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I don't know any speed booster that won't degrade the image quality though. And smaller image circle lenses usually also lower the edge to edge quality. Using wide and fast full-frame lenses on s35mm sensors increase the overall quality. There are a few out there, I mean, the Sigma 14mm is T1.4. The front element is tough though since it protrudes. One that I'm looking into is the RF 15-35 for use with the AF system and gimbals. It's F2.8, but also have IS stabilization, so when RF works on Komodo and if the IS system kicks in, that would be a hell of a zoom lens to use on it.
    Actually the Sigma 14mm is T2.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    Actually the Sigma 14mm is T2.
    Sure, was thinking of the F stop number, but even that was off (F1.8). Still protrudes though, which is a problem with safety.

However, if the Canon rumors are true about a speed booster from them, that might be of higher quality, we might have another ballpark to play in with full frame lenses. Then we are fine with using a fast 20mm for those wide shots.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600