Thread: Monstro vs komodo whats your thoughts?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Monstro vs komodo whats your thoughts? 
    Monstro vs komodo whats your thoughts?

similar to a horse and a bicycle, both forms of transport but thats all
    I've got a black belt in keeping it real!

I got a monstro allready, and I will not trade it for a Komodo. But as I have monstro it makes Komodo the only other red camera that interesting me. Its light weight, small formfactor, mount options and most of all global shutter does not come with any other red camera, or many other cameras what so ever for that matter. So it would as I see it be a great compliment to Monstro and give me features that monstro simply dont have, where as the other REDs, as I see it is all sub standard to monstro, doing the same but not as good.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Like Björn said, it's going to be a great compliment to the Monstro but in no way a replacement for it.

Komodo could make shoots a bit faster and nimble when paring it with the Monstro. Instead of having to rig your Monstro to a Movi, you may be able to get away with using a handheld gimbal for a particular shot or put the Komodo in hard to reach places. Spec wise, Monstro has the Komodo beat on the resolution/frame rate front. Just having higher frame rates at higher resolutions on the Helium has been a huge benefits in some of the work I've done over the years.

George - do you have any specific thoughts you're thinking of?
    Benjamin Jarvis - Multiple hats kind of guy

Hydrogen Houdini #62

I so love my Monstro as well as the PV DXL2 (rehoused Monstro) but the next action film where I am the 2nd Unit Director/DP, I will also have a Komodo or 2 with inexpensive Canon prime still glass for shots that might be a little more dangerous. Also what Benjamin said about leaving one on a gimbal makes a ton of sense.
    One more tool in the arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    I so love my Monstro as well as the PV DXL2 (rehoused Monstro) but the next action film where I am the 2nd Unit Director/DP, I will also have a Komodo or 2 with inexpensive Canon prime still glass for shots that might be a little more dangerous. Also what Benjamin said about leaving one on a gimbal makes a ton of sense.
    Love this. Thanks for sharing Peter.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    Agree, and if they get the inteligent autofocus to kick then komodo with regular EF glas will kick as for gimbal work. phone or ipad display wireless with touchscreen / ac point at actors nose and lock on target kind of focus will be a game changer.

Also to me the superball spot Michael bay did partly with komodo with really quick camera moves is really something new, the none rolling shutter really shined in that one. High speed car chases, rapid steadycam takes, drone shot etc all will I think all look much better with the global shutter.
    Björn Benckert

Totally different beasts from my perspective.

I plan to built a small self-contained Komodo kit that can go anywhere. Going to be able to put this camera into a lot of tight spots where the Monstro doesn't quite fit or is too risky. I see Komodo being an extremely versatile little camera system. If it will do everything I think it will, a Komodo will go everywhere with me.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Something to keep in mind. Komodo with speedbooster gives you a FOV almost identical to Monstro.

Obviously it doesn't have the high frame rates and DR of Monstro, but for those with an indie mind Komodo is a gift.

Tell your story.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Something to keep in mind. Komodo with speedbooster gives you a FOV almost identical to Monstro.

Obviously it doesn't have the high frame rates and DR of Monstro, but for those with an indie mind Komodo is a gift.

Tell your story.
    True, but its important to remember a speed booster just change the lens. Its usually better to use lenses fit for the sensor size. So for example much likely a Leica sumilux C will preform better than a Thalia together with a speed booster giving the same fov. But sure if using the same FF lens set on both then Komodo would benefit from having a speed booster.
    Björn Benckert