Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Found some fun rear of lens issues on the bloody speedbooster which sucks, looks like I might modify the lenses affected if I go that route.
    What specific issues are you facing with the speedbooster. Back focus is off? Getting more than normal optical issues with the image? (ie. chromatic aberration, corner softness, barrel distortion)
    Motion Pictures and Film Professional

Phil, do you find you like having a smaller body than DSMC 2?

Would you recommend this to be used as an A cam from your testing so far?
    Connor Thomas
    Owner of Thomas Film Productions

"Fear leads to self-doubt which is the worst enemy of creativity" - David Ogilvy

Answers to questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I believe it’s one or the other. Not at the same time.
    Correct Helmet Master :) (inside joke)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugues Dagallier View Post
    speedbooster,
    I've had about 80 lenses on Komod so far, and yep a fair amount of that was Speedboosting. You'll get some sample footage from me with and without that. Painfully I'm awaiting a revised RF>PL Speedbooster, so here I am juggling lenses I can't use that way yet. *tears*

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Lewis View Post
    How are most of you planning to use Komodo? I will primarily use it on travel gigs as a b-cam to my Helium as well as a gimbal cam for those jobs. I’m sooo ready to stop building out on MōVI Pro then breaking down for long interviews only to go back to MōVI Pro at the end of the day.

Phil, have you seen any potential pain points in matching Komodo and Helium, specifically for well lit on location interviews? Also potential for needing to match in camera when recording 4K prores. Speaking of, does Komodo record 4K prores with IPP2(or any other LUT applied) or log like DSMC2?
    All of the above for me. Komodo passed my "is it good tests" over the course of two days. I 100% think it's fine for B-Cam and specifically B-Cam in a hurry situations. Like hey, can we stash camera behind the toaster to get Marilyn coming into the living room? I'm not totally Jarred here. A lot of people will use it as an A-Cam as well, particularly those who don't own the bigger brother cameras. Where this thing lands price-wise makes it ideal for bigger productions as a POV, Crash, and Blast Cam. For most of us humans, travel work, gimbal, ABCD-cam, whatever.

I'll be tinkering with IPP2 and ProRes to see if it's a RWG/Log3G10 output or using an output transform with or without LUT. Yes. LUT support is in camera. Hard tease there.

[QUOTE=Alain M;1900074]
    Phil, Does KOMODO have a SSD external option like Pocket6k to have Dual recording Cfast and External SSD when and if needed... ???
    Good lord no. I don't think many have experience as to why professionals don't like that concept of a cabled media drive. It's cool and all, but like literally the most crucial thing is your freaking media. That cable is not a production standard even with clamps.

I'm certain I'll test to do some sort of external SSD via the drive bay, but I'm telling you one of the big pros about this camera is you don't need to do "not exactly ideal" stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Jarvis View Post
    I would imagine you could use SDI out to record to an external monitor like shogun or odyssey while recording internally. Maybe you can trigger recording on Komodo through SDI as well?
    Yeppers. And there's a decent dual record solution. Komodo has a protected media bay, that's hinged door with some impressive padding cut out even. I'm not throwing this thing off a car anytime soon, but that card should survive if even your hood rig busts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Any .r3ds yet?
    Love this. Today's lovely curfew was 5pm where I live. Doesn't matter. I know you're eager. I got stuff coming either way. Just not what I wanted to pull off sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by David Grigorian View Post
    Hey Phil congrats on getting the camera, would love to know if you had a chance to test any M mount lenses? I'm curious how the new OLPF plays with M mount glass, Especially wider lenses like the 28mm Summilux.
    Good question! My buddy who has all the Leica glass is elsewhere, but I'll dig deep. I kept all the stuff that works well on all the previous RED sensors. But I'm curious as well. M-Mount = small little shooting package.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Vera View Post
    What specific issues are you facing with the speedbooster. Back focus is off? Getting more than normal optical issues with the image? (ie. chromatic aberration, corner softness, barrel distortion)
    Actual physical issues. Some vintage lenses have flocking shields, particularly on wides, to wrangle internal flare. It's literally hitting the Speedbooster. I've had some lenses modified before by sawing that off very carefully. But I'm a bit touching about a few of my Leica primes. Tough one here.

Quote Originally Posted by Connor Thomas View Post
    Phil, do you find you like having a smaller body than DSMC 2?

Would you recommend this to be used as an A cam from your testing so far?
    Small bod. You'll like my incoming post because I rig it sort of A-Cam style. I would have no problem using Komodo this as A-Cam really. Image quality and DR is there, lacks hot rod frame rates though. Monstro is obviously still my A-Cam because well it's still Monstro. As for the smaller body. Woof. Pros and cons for sure! Like right now I'm super missing cablelessness and how easy and clean my DSMC2 rigs can be. Missing shortcut keys as well, but there's just no actual space on the body. Komodo is clearly designed to be as small, compact, and lightweight as possible and that's it's biggest strength beyond the global shutter and magic sensor/CSF tech. I see the strengths in that.

As I mentioned above, based on the many questions I'm answering right now, where I think this will be used A-Cam the most is for people who don't own either RED DSMC2 bodies or have older other cameras they are looking to move up from. Professionals with RED brains. I still see pros to them obviously. Especially when we talk about production rigging. Like Komodo is sort of the opposite of Ranger really, but they are clearly made for two very different worlds.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Oh. Almost forgot my sexy diary post from today. Here's your A-Cam setup:

RED Komodo Diary: Day 03

Whelp time for quarantine and curfew with RED Komodo. This camera is small, but there will likely be a time when you'll want to rig it towards more of a traditional cinema application. Today's big surprise is previewing the upcoming accessories from Wooden Camera for Komodo. The benefit of announcing a camera way back when is accessory manufacturers have time to develop their solutions so you aren't flying naked when a camera drops. Today I am fully dressed in aluminum.

WC has some nice stuff coming out including a quick release system that can support a traditional Arri dovetail as well as an Arca plate when you need to be nimble and go to gimbal. The top handle doesn't prevent you from seeing or touching the top LCD. There's several ways to mount an external display, cold shoe shown here, SmallHD 502 Bright. They've also made a compact PL mount with a little foot that goes into that baseplate, which provides stability for heavier lenses as well as base plate rigidity for you adventurous peeps.

Got it all rigged in an unholy matrimony of WC and Bright Tangerine Gear (I wuv both of them). BT Revolvr Follow Focus, 19mm Titanium rods, and my favorite dovetail. In this case the WC Zip Box Pro. Also in frame is indeed a Canon BP to V-Mount Plate, very cool to power the rig from one battery pack. You'll note it's low profile too, nice for tiny batteries like the GDU metal shelled batts and can be adjusted outward and upward if needed for balance. Two rosettes for arms and handles and I can still rig my GDU ribs left and right for other goodies.

My rigging quote is it's very difficult to make a big camera small, but it's always possible to make a small camera bigger. Here is exactly that and why you'd want to. This can also translate well into a shoulder rig. And for you backpack fishing pole operators, yep, you can grip to that top handle and dangle your Komodo and see what bites in frame while singing "orange kisses for all the fishes". I'll be showing off more rigging soon. And yes. footage as well. Sexy fluid head is my OConnor Ultimate 1040, but you can get away with much smaller.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I'll be tinkering with IPP2 and ProRes to see if it's a RWG/Log3G10 output or using an output transform with or without LUT. Yes. LUT support is in camera. Hard tease there.
    Very promising. Very excited. But really though, be small, be R3D, just work. That’s all I really want.

Thanks, Phil!
    DSMC2 Helium #000043 "Violet”
    Denton Film, LLC
    WWW.DENTONFILM.COM

Actual physical issues. Some vintage lenses have flocking shields, particularly on wides, to wrangle internal flare. It's literally hitting the Speedbooster. I've had some lenses modified before by sawing that off very carefully. But I'm a bit touching about a few of my Leica primes. Tough one here.
    Thanks for the update! You think Sigma EF primes should be fine with the speedbooster from 20mm, onwards? How is that Mitakon 50mm EF treating you? Been wanting to check that out. Mostly cause I can use it on my Canon 1V. Thank you once again .
    Motion Pictures and Film Professional

[QUOTE=Phil Holland;1900112]Answers to questions!

Correct Helmet Master :) (inside joke)

I've had about 80 lenses on Komod so far, and yep a fair amount of that was Speedboosting. You'll get some sample footage from me with and without that. Painfully I'm awaiting a revised RF>PL Speedbooster, so here I am juggling lenses I can't use that way yet. *tears*

All of the above for me. Komodo passed my "is it good tests" over the course of two days. I 100% think it's fine for B-Cam and specifically B-Cam in a hurry situations. Like hey, can we stash camera behind the toaster to get Marilyn coming into the living room? I'm not totally Jarred here. A lot of people will use it as an A-Cam as well, particularly those who don't own the bigger brother cameras. Where this thing lands price-wise makes it ideal for bigger productions as a POV, Crash, and Blast Cam. For most of us humans, travel work, gimbal, ABCD-cam, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Alain M View Post

Good lord no. I don't think many have experience as to why professionals don't like that concept of a cabled media drive. It's cool and all, but like literally the most crucial thing is your freaking media. That cable is not a production standard even with clamps.

I'm certain I'll test to do some sort of external SSD via the drive bay, but I'm telling you one of the big pros about this camera is you don't need to do "not exactly ideal" stuff like that.

Yeppers. And there's a decent dual record solution. Komodo has a protected media bay, that's hinged door with some impressive padding cut out even. I'm not throwing this thing off a car anytime soon, but that card should survive if even your hood rig busts.

Love this. Today's lovely curfew was 5pm where I live. Doesn't matter. I know you're eager. I got stuff coming either way. Just not what I wanted to pull off sadly.

Good question! My buddy who has all the Leica glass is elsewhere, but I'll dig deep. I kept all the stuff that works well on all the previous RED sensors. But I'm curious as well. M-Mount = small little shooting package.

Small bod. You'll like my incoming post because I rig it sort of A-Cam style. I would have no problem using Komodo this as A-Cam really. Image quality and DR is there, lacks hot rod frame rates though. Monstro is obviously still my A-Cam because well it's still Monstro. As for the smaller body. Woof. Pros and cons for sure! Like right now I'm super missing cablelessness and how easy and clean my DSMC2 rigs can be. Missing shortcut keys as well, but there's just no actual space on the body. Komodo is clearly designed to be as small, compact, and lightweight as possible and that's it's biggest strength beyond the global shutter and magic sensor/CSF tech. I see the strengths in that.

As I mentioned above, based on the many questions I'm answering right now, where I think this will be used A-Cam the most is for people who don't own either RED DSMC2 bodies or have older other cameras they are looking to move up from. Professionals with RED brains. I still see pros to them obviously. Especially when we talk about production rigging. Like Komodo is sort of the opposite of Ranger really, but they are clearly made for two very different worlds.

Thanks for sharing Phil... Lots of insight great info..
    Alain Maiki
    Director || Filmmaker
    epicinmotion.com
    alainmaiki.com
    IMDb Alain Maiki
    RED Helium 8K S35
    Hydrogen ONE

Curious how it handles bigger lenses. Something like Cooke 2x Ana or Atlas Orions. I'm speaking about rigging and physical handling - front heavy is not a really good situation in terms of using a camera on an EasyRig, or for gimbals. Raising it high also makes it top-heavy, not a good situation for gimbals again. As far as I've guessed the most universal solution everone is going to make is to raise the camera bottom plate to a place where your dsmc1/dsmc2 bottom plates where. I'd say beware of lower plates if you're going to use PL-mount lenses, is it correct?

Is there a single frame shooting mode?

One nice thing about Tokina Vista Primes and larger come zooms: they all have lens support threads. It should not be difficult to create a gimbal-friendly (i.e. light weight) bracket that bridges between lens and camera and puts connection to base right under c.o.g.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"