Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastien Tribalat View Post
    - Can you say if it's one or two CFAST slots behind the door ? (I'm pretty sure it's one but hey, can't hurt to ask :p)
    You tested ProGrade cards too? Got 2 of those and would be happy not to have the need to buy new cards immediately.

Also what makes Canon batteries smarter than the others? There are plenty out there that would have more mAh so it would help to increase the run time. What makes the canon ones better in your opinion?

You’ve tested native RF glass too? What are your favorite lens choices so far anyways?

You’ve got access to the control app for iOS yet? Would love to hear your feedback on that too! Thinking about an iPad mini or sth as a monitor.

Would love for you to provide us with some footage to play around with!

Anyways, I’m glad you’ve got the very first hatchling! Wouldn’t have wanted for anyone other than you getting your hands on the baby dragon first!

How good is the audio, any need for a Zoom recorder or Mixpre recorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

@yann - You are correct. I haven't done full media burns yet, but on a 1TB Angelbird CFast 2.0 card I'm getting 1 hour of 6K 24p at HQ.
    Thanks Phil.
    🧠+👁️+👂🏼+📹=...
    Documentary shaper, "that guy...".
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1523882/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Hi Phil, new to the forum and really excited about Komodo. Can you please verify if it has RED Raw 16-bit like dsmc2 cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    @yann - You are correct. I haven't done full media burns yet, but on a 1TB Angelbird CFast 2.0 card I'm getting 1 hour of 6K 24p at HQ.
    Thanks for that Phil!
    Going by your super useful framesToDataRate tool on PHFX, that puts Komodo's HQ at or around REDCODE RAW 3:1, heck maybe even closer to 2:1 since for 1 hour of 6K 24p 3:1 we only get 836GB.

Gotta love REDCODE!
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

This is how we all imagine Phil nerdy testing Komodo's OLPF/Color Science/DR/FR/GS/Res/Sens in his lab, right?

Is it close to reality Phil?

🧠+👁️+👂🏼+📹=...
    Documentary shaper, "that guy...".
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1523882/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Phil,
    How about the startup time? What are we looking at right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Henne View Post
    Phil,
    How about the startup time? What are we looking at right now?
    He may not be authorized to give out useful info yet as you would think it would take less then 24 hours to post some footage if you got the first camera, I think this is a marketing play.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington Chase View Post
    He may not be authorized to give out useful info yet as you would think it would take less then 24 hours to post some footage if you got the first camera, I think this is a marketing play.
    Don't do drugs. Amidst this quarantine and currently a curfew due to riots (generally where I am they don't want people outside) I am also supporting my extended family and my father is in the hospital post a triple bypass. If you want shots of my backyard I can do that, but I'd rather create some insight and test the camera for myself, but at the moment it's hard to arrange a shoot anywhere amidst our current situation in our nation. I guarantee I tested more in 24 hours than most would ever do in an extended review even.

FYI. A whole bunch of cameras were shipped to the other first batchers. So you can clamp your conspiracy crap right there. You'll be seeing footage from me and all of the others shortly. The question is if you want crappy footage or good footage, well yeah. At the moment I can't even organize a shoot or really leave the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Henne View Post
    Phil, How about the startup time? What are we looking at right now?
    Currently the boot up time is about 22 seconds. If this goes like the path of other RED cameras released, that boot up time will shrink as firmware and other code is optimized. I think DMSC2 was what, 45 seconds plus at some point? Now it's 20 something seconds too. Wouldn't be shocked if Komodo ends up booting much faster.

I have a list of tests I'm going through, like Monday is "battery burn day" to see which ones work the best. But some quicky answers.

Yes. It's 16-bit REDCODE RAW. IPP2 is on board and there's a surprise in there for you too which we'll talk about later.

@Andrew. Audio. Scratch mics are scratch mics. Only a 3.5mm jack to get sound in. I have a 3.5mm shotgun in a box somewhere, one of those smaller rode mics I think. I'll try that. I'll be piping audio into it today from a Sound Devices recorder. I'll echo Jarred's sentiment about XLRs on here. On the Komodo body itself there very literally isn't space for it. 3.5mm feed in is the best you can do. I personally and would always suggest an external recorder for great audio. I do wonder if an EXT breakout can be made with XLRs on there. Bare camera though, what you have is 3.5mm.

@Simon - The Canon batteries have chips in them to report battery capacity. The cheep ones are just cells, they power the thing on, but there's not two way communication. Oddly all my RF glass here at the moment is Manual glass, not sure RF is fully supported. EF is however and I can control Iris and all that. Found some fun rear of lens issues on the bloody speedbooster which sucks, looks like I might modify the lenses affected if I go that route. IOS app, not yet, but soon. Looking to dive in on that wireless monitoring.

@Christopher - I guess I can do a side-by-side with DSMC2, but it's significantly quieter. There are two fan modes, Adaptive and Quiet. I'm on Quiet and it is actually very Quiet.

I think RED will be releasing a "minimum card spec" for Komodo. They have the financial ability to literally test all the options. I suspect below 256GB capacities will be iffy due to write speed limitations. I'm using the media I tested that proved to be "best". I will say CFast cards got bloody hot. Haven't done a full long take roll yet, but bare in mind as heat increases as well as capacity fills CFast, CFexpress, and other similar media has some pretty gnarly hits. Generally speaking I think I'd aim at cards 256GB and up in capacity to help avoid most of that chaos. But personally I'd wait on hearing what's officially supported first.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Sorry to hear about your father Phil, hopefully he will be turning wood in no time!

Yeah best to stay in right now, film what you can when you can and try to keep things balanced.

Oh and thanks for providing access to all of us!