Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    @mestizo - autofocus will be evolving rapidly, I'll dig in as well.

@peter - Yep. RED's OLPFs on the bigger brother cameras are pretty good obviously at minimizing most moire possibilities and they are pretty much necessary if you are doing professional work for any camera. Might see some interesting tech in the future to combat aliasing, but for now, low pass is the way.

@yann - You are correct. I haven't done full media burns yet, but on a 1TB Angelbird CFast 2.0 card I'm getting 1 hour of 6K 24p at HQ.

It's been a full day now with the camera. Might do this here and on instagram for a few days as we're still under quarantine and most recently curfew here:

[color=yellow]RED Komodo Diary: Day 01[/yellow]

A full 24 hours in now. Here's what I've done so far. I've tested every current and a couple unreleased RF Mount Adapters, a few brands of media, a few brands of batteries. Some image quality related tests. Rigged the camera about a dozen ways. Looked at a bunch of different lenses on this little guy as well. Like several dozen.

First couple of things I like. Big fan of the new power switch, having a dedicated shutdown like that is perfect. The camera runs much quieter than I suspected. Komodo is small and in some cases if you want to use bigger lenses, creativity is key to rigging. Really like using the top LCD for Exposure Tools and the SmallHD via SDI for general monitoring. That feels really nice. That small top screen is a touch screen, very responsive and decently high res, you can film with just that if you need to, but I like a bigger display obviously. The latency when toggling between record and playback is the fastest it's ever been on a RED camera, which is good.

Cheep batteries don't have the "smarts" in them, but all powered the camera. Only testing Canon BP l955 and BP975 range so far. The Canons are indeed the best option and worth it IMO. I'll probably go full tiny V-Mount to just power everything off of one source, which I currently do on DSMC2 cams. The BPs though are the smallest/lightest option. We really need a kick butt quad charger for these BPs. The dual and quads now are a bit meh IMO.

Global Shutter is fun and impressive. This sensor is actually fascinating and I like what I see, nerd tests will commence. The new OLPF/Color Science Filter is something I was delightfully surprised about, I'll dive into that once I do more nerdy tests. Very interesting camera so far. It's as new to me as it is to you really. A little dash of DSMC2 mixed with a bunch of stuff that's new really.

Menus are easy btw. And at the moment if you tap the meters you do indeed get a full histogram as a shortcut on the LCD. Under moderate quaratine and now curfew, so confined to shooting selfies for a bit within my paddock. Don't worry, I'm wearing pants.
    That's awesome. And that orange color look really cool.
    From your photo, here are a few of my questions/reactions if you don't mind :
    - Why 5K ?
    - So, those new Redcode Names, what are they corresponding to ? Is it a new codec (maybe 12 bits instead of 16 ?) or just new names ?
    - I REALLY LOVE THIS GDU SUPPORT BRACKET THING !!! :)
    - Can you say if it's one or two CFAST slots behind the door ? (I'm pretty sure it's one but hey, can't hurt to ask :p)

Really looking forward for more news/tests from you.
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Evan P View Post
    I would love to see some tests of motion and skin tones later.
    This is Mr. Holland we are talking about here.
    Ranger Gemini

yet also solves something we all know too well, which I will show later.
    OLPF red dot reflections?

Komodo is surprisingly quiet. I've rolled a few several minute takes.
    This is really good news.

The egg finally hatched?
    So cool!

So glad you've got the Komodo Phil. Can't wait to read more. Are you able to share r3ds, or does that have to wait till colour science is perfected?

Couldn't think of anyone more deserving to get a first crack at the RED hatchling!
    Love the teaser, what a gorgeous little beast!

Thank you for anything you can share :)
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Thanks, Phil.
    Waiting for some more info...
    "Don't under-estimate the amateur photographer. The latest HW & SW empower him to achieve results just as good as yours".
    Nothing beats a Master Prime!
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 24GB RAM, i5-3570K, Intel 520 120GB SSD - Win7 Pro SP1 x64, Dell U2713H 27" 10bit @ 2560x1440@60Hz (via miniDP).

Great insight! Thanks for taking us along on the journey.

Thanks for sharing Phil and congrats on getting a Komodo!

I'm excited to hear more results from your tests especially when it comes to accessories.
    Epic-W Helium turned Gemini #772
    bartcortright.com

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Komodo is surprisingly quiet. I've rolled a few several minute takes.
    That's all good, but such a statement often gets lost in the lack of comparison to what.

Almost all types of shooting with this camera have been high octane action or stuff that isn't normal dialogue scenes. Maybe because of the idea of where this camera will fit. However, this camera WILL be used for entire productions, including such dialogue scenes. The DSMC2 works with the fans being quiet but has been a bit of a burden compared to other cameras. So the big question is:

How does the Komodo compare to the other DSMC2 cameras in this regard? Does it quiet down when hitting record, how high is the fan volume outside of recording?

I think that there are far too many tests done for cameras about the sensor and image and so little actually addressing actual production handling and the symbios with other departments.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600