Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The First Komodo Out in the Wild 
    Hello all,

A moderate tease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2MrX6sFVJs

Last night I was very fortunate to pick up the first of the orangeish/gold batch of RED Komodos.

First and foremost, happy birthday to Jarred and thank you for once again allowing me to beat on a new brain early on. And also, big thanks to those other two rather talented dudes for their support over the years. If the world was open for business a Komodo cake was in order.

So here's where I'm at with Komodo after about 24 hours. Grabbed it, got home, goofed off in the back yard as raccoons became rather curious as to what this little thing is as well.

After that, got to know the camera real well. Then some rest.

Today I spent most of the day rigging it up in a few different ways, filming random tests, using every adapter out there you can imagine, tried a few different batteries, a few different CFast 2.0 cards, etc.

Some early thoughts as I continue to dive in. Komodo is super compact. I knew this, but now that I've put a bazillion lenses on there, it's very much a whoa. I have this little cloth bag that's about 1/2 size a cloth grocery bag and I can fit it rigged in there. Feels a bit like DSMC2 loaded with a lot of "new".

What's in the box?!

First thing that jumps out at you is Komodo comes in a egg shell white, Komodo-skin textured, high quality box. Inside the lid is a nice graphic showing you exactly how easy it is to be up and running, nice touch. There's an AC Adapter with international plugs as well as US. Early birds also are fortunate to can a Canon RF to EF Mount, which I suspect won't be included with the general production run.

What to expect from me in the coming days?

We've had a lot of time knowing Komodo was coming and you've seen me already testing goodies. And you're going to see new RF glass, some upcoming rigging options, as well as a few other things. Komodo is as new to me as it is to you. I'm figuring it out. I'm filming with it. I'm medium level trying to break it even, though, don't expect a drop test from me. I like my golden lizard.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll do what I can while running around like a madman to tackle them.

Some quick thoughts.

- I'm actually super into having this separate power switch to power down the camera. Way more useful than you can imagine once you're use to it.

- Much quicker jump when toggling to playback and record which is super nice.

- One quick discovery using a small LCD on top of the camera is having the Exposure Tools running on the top LCD and view finding via a clean signal on the SmallHD is actually something I will quickly want forever.

- Komodo as previously shown eliminates CMOS Smear through some sort of science fiction sensor design. The OLPF/Color Science Filter is actually a bit more like the Skin Tone - Highlight OLPF in terms of what I can see, yet also solves something we all know too well, which I will show later. But this got me fist pumping.

- I actually visually need to get used to global shutter, but it's pretty phenomal and incredibly useful in a camera like this one. The ramifications and benefits for crash cam, car cam, helmet cam, etc. are pretty apparent.

- CFast slot having a secure door on it, super bad ass. I don't see any real way to knock that open and it will prevent media falling out as the stunt car slams into the other one. I'm using Angelbird cards mainly if you are curious. I personally don't have anything smaller than 256GB here to test, my main jam is big 1TB cards. Also using their readers for that matter.

- Tested a bunch of BP mount batteries, Canon and others. All seem to boot the camera. Not all are "smart".

- Haven't done my ultra long recording tests yet, but I will say this. Komodo is surprisingly quiet. I've rolled a few several minute takes.

I leave it there as she's only a day old in my hands so far.
    Last edited by Phil Holland; 05-30-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Sample R3Ds from RED Komodo 6K:

Y'all got anymore of that Komodo R3D laying around?

Okay. I'll bite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L97EF-ZK4UA

Direct link to R3D:
    http://www.phfx.com/temp/RED_Komodo_...eClip_tiny.zip

*edit - I took down the full 30GB clip and have replaced it with this R3D Trim of a few seconds, it's now a nimble 2.5GB download.

*edit x2 - If you just want R3D snapshots, here's a few, 80MB:
    http://www.phfx.com/temp/RED_Komodo_..._snapShots.zip

Happy World Oceans Day!

Here's a long clip you guys can use to test playback and your general workflow. Details are:

Format Size = RED Komodo 6K 17:9
    Frame Rate = 24p
    Codec = REDCODE RAW HQ
    Look = Straight out of camera, a wee bit of white balance, but only a wee. Straight IPP2 of Medium Contrast/Soft Highlight Roll-Off, No Grade
    Lens = Tokina Cinema Vista 35mm T1.5, set to a 2.8/4 split
    Audio = Sennheiser MKH416 going to a Sound Devices MixPre II 10, 3.5mm balanced out back into Komodo (.WAV is in the .RDC folder)
    Key Light = Lightpanels Gemini 2X1 through a Matthews 4x4 Full Silk, slightly feathered, a smidge of negative fill, various other lights in the BG

Take special note, if you crank the audio the fans on the Hive 200-C about 12 feet behind me providing the rim light is the fan you are hearing, then likely the high winds outdoors. The mic is next to Komodo and that should tell you indeed that Komodo is damn quiet. By far the quietest RED camera to date. I'll do a side by side DB w/ DSMC2, but it is the answer you want from Komodo.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Phil Holland; 06-09-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

*reserved #2

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Love to see the RF glass and did I hear you say NEW RF glass????

Nice addition of the ef/rf adapter

Interested to hear about the autofocus with RF glass and EF

Jurrasic vibes

Great looking forward to it all. The OLPF is my biggest interest on this camera. I actually get ocular migraines from looking at moire so I can’t even look at blackmagic footage. Fingers crossed this is a top notch OLPF.

Thank you for this apetiser Phil!

I have one question: how long can you record on your 256Go Angelbird CFast card (depending on each of the compression levels...)?

Thanks.
    🧠+👁️+👂🏼+📹=...
    Documentary shaper, "that guy...".
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1523882/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Yes...

:)
    Alain Maiki
    Director || Filmmaker
    epicinmotion.com
    alainmaiki.com
    IMDb Alain Maiki
    RED Helium 8K S35
    Hydrogen ONE

@mestizo - autofocus will be evolving rapidly, I'll dig in as well.

@peter - Yep. RED's OLPFs on the bigger brother cameras are pretty good obviously at minimizing most moire possibilities and they are pretty much necessary if you are doing professional work for any camera. Might see some interesting tech in the future to combat aliasing, but for now, low pass is the way.

@yann - You are correct. I haven't done full media burns yet, but on a 1TB Angelbird CFast 2.0 card I'm getting 1 hour of 6K 24p at HQ.

It's been a full day now with the camera. Might do this here and on instagram for a few days as we're still under quarantine and most recently curfew here:

[color=yellow]RED Komodo Diary: Day 01[/yellow]

A full 24 hours in now. Here's what I've done so far. I've tested every current and a couple unreleased RF Mount Adapters, a few brands of media, a few brands of batteries. Some image quality related tests. Rigged the camera about a dozen ways. Looked at a bunch of different lenses on this little guy as well. Like several dozen.

First couple of things I like. Big fan of the new power switch, having a dedicated shutdown like that is perfect. The camera runs much quieter than I suspected. Komodo is small and in some cases if you want to use bigger lenses, creativity is key to rigging. Really like using the top LCD for Exposure Tools and the SmallHD via SDI for general monitoring. That feels really nice. That small top screen is a touch screen, very responsive and decently high res, you can film with just that if you need to, but I like a bigger display obviously. The latency when toggling between record and playback is the fastest it's ever been on a RED camera, which is good.

Cheep batteries don't have the "smarts" in them, but all powered the camera. Only testing Canon BP l955 and BP975 range so far. The Canons are indeed the best option and worth it IMO. I'll probably go full tiny V-Mount to just power everything off of one source, which I currently do on DSMC2 cams. The BPs though are the smallest/lightest option. We really need a kick butt quad charger for these BPs. The dual and quads now are a bit meh IMO.

Global Shutter is fun and impressive. This sensor is actually fascinating and I like what I see, nerd tests will commence. The new OLPF/Color Science Filter is something I was delightfully surprised about, I'll dive into that once I do more nerdy tests. Very interesting camera so far. It's as new to me as it is to you really. A little dash of DSMC2 mixed with a bunch of stuff that's new really.

Menus are easy btw. And at the moment if you tap the meters you do indeed get a full histogram as a shortcut on the LCD. Under moderate quaratine and now curfew, so confined to shooting selfies for a bit within my paddock. Don't worry, I'm wearing pants.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

AS always, great to read you thoughts and observations Phil. Greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot and keep it coming :-)

I would love to see some tests of motion and skin tones later.