Thread: My Redcode looks crap in Resolve.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 My Redcode looks crap in Resolve. 
    Hey,
    There's a bit of an annoying thing which I haven't been able to work out. When I shoot Redcode and open the files in Red Player on my computer they look really beautiful, nicely saturated and contrasty. I then bring them into the media pool in resolve and they don't look nearly so good. It's fairly subtle but they're flatter and less saturated and have lost their lovely threedimentionallity (if that's a word). When I then grade them in Resolve, really I'm trying get back what they look like in RED Player, it's kind of exasperating. It probably goes without saying that I'm not an expert in resolve or colour grading.

The screenshots attached are of a clip I shot at 4:1 compression on RED Dragon X 6K. I shot in Redcolor 2, Redgamma 2. I simply opened the clip in resolve and set the RAW profile to RED and 'decode using camera metadata'. The first is a screen grab of the clip opened in RED player and the second, the same clip opened in Resolve.

I've messed around with many combinations of settings and basically can never get it as nice looking as it looks strait out of the camera in RED Player:) I have a distinct feeling that I'm missing something very simple!! Any insights well appreciated.
    Attached Images

Giles,

Do you have a R3D frame or short R3D video file we can examine in a Resolve Workflow? Also your Resolve Project Settings.

Color management (or lack thereof) is probably biting you in the ass. The editor for Linus Tech Tips (10M+ subscribers) did an hour-long video on just how many ways you can screw yourself because the media, application, GUI, operating system, GPU, drivers, and monitor are each trying to Do The Right Thing. See https://youtu.be/QPubgoqtfbk
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Well if you're running RC2/RG2 in camera, it's using Legacy image pipeline. And Resolve is probably defaulting to Ipp2 med/med (aka less contrast and less colour).

I'd start there; making sure your Resolve is set to RedColour 2 and Red Gamma 2 (in the colour page, go to raw camera tab, and select "clip" and drop down the colour and gamma space to RC2 and RG2)... If that works, you can try to apply it project wide via project settings.

...Bare in mind, IPP2 is better than legacy RC2/RG2 in pretty much every major aspect -- colour accuracy, dynamic range usage, highlight recovery, debayer sharpness, noise handling... Just saying. Eventually you'll want to move over to it even though it looks flatter/less saturated out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    Color management (or lack thereof) is probably biting you in the ass. The editor for Linus Tech Tips (10M+ subscribers) did an hour-long video on just how many ways you can screw yourself because the media, application, GUI, operating system, GPU, drivers, and monitor are each trying to Do The Right Thing. See https://youtu.be/QPubgoqtfbk
    Ok yep will give that a watch, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Well if you're running RC2/RG2 in camera, it's using Legacy image pipeline. And Resolve is probably defaulting to Ipp2 med/med (aka less contrast and less colour).

I'd start there; making sure your Resolve is set to RedColour 2 and Red Gamma 2 (in the colour page, go to raw camera tab, and select "clip" and drop down the colour and gamma space to RC2 and RG2)... If that works, you can try to apply it project wide via project settings.

...Bare in mind, IPP2 is better than legacy RC2/RG2 in pretty much every major aspect -- colour accuracy, dynamic range usage, highlight recovery, debayer sharpness, noise handling... Just saying. Eventually you'll want to move over to it even though it looks flatter/less saturated out of the gate.
    Thanks, makes sense, am checking this out..

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Giles,

Do you have a R3D frame or short R3D video file we can examine in a Resolve Workflow? Also your Resolve Project Settings.
    Heya, thanks very much for having a look! How is best for uploading video? Here is a wetransfer for a half second clip: https://we.tl/t-JBvyCpwOHo

I've attached the RED player screenshot.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    And Resolve is probably defaulting to Ipp2 med/med (aka less contrast and less colour).
    It's actually the other way. Redplayer is overriding the metadata and displaying the clip in IPP2, which at Medium/Medium tone curve and highlight roll-off is more contrast and saturation than Redgamma 2/Redcolor 2. If you open the clip in Redcine-X Pro it will default the same way unless you have "show legacy controls" enabled in the preferences menu. And even then, the second you mess with any of the color space and gamma curve settings, it locks you out of using Redcolor 2 and Redgamma 2, as Redcolor 4 and Redgamma 4 is the oldest color processing it will let you go to.

Resolve is the one that's actually following the correct metadata and displaying it how it was shot, which is the duller looking RC2/RG2. So updating the clip to IPP2 will match what Giles is seeing in Redplayer, although that was not how it was shot at the time.

What Aaron said above, use IPP2.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    It's actually the other way. Redplayer is overriding the metadata and displaying the clip in IPP2, which at Medium/Medium tone curve and highlight roll-off is more contrast and saturation than Redgamma 2/Redcolor 2. If you open the clip in Redcine-X Pro it will default the same way unless you have "show legacy controls" enabled in the preferences menu. And even then, the second you mess with any of the color space and gamma curve settings, it locks you out of using Redcolor 2 and Redgamma 2, as Redcolor 4 and Redgamma 4 is the oldest color processing it will let you go to.

Resolve is the one that's actually following the correct metadata and displaying it how it was shot, which is the duller looking RC2/RG2. So updating the clip to IPP2 will match what Giles is seeing in Redplayer, although that was not how it was shot at the time.
    OOO, thanks very much, this is probably what I've been looking for:)