Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Komodo Compared to Helium - Dynamic Range (and more)

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey Graeme, any chance that the High-ISO magenta cast can be removed from the other sensors too (IPP2.5 mayhap)? Really like the more neutral grain of 6400 Komodo, and when pushing things that far every little bit helps (especially in those deep stops).

cute.
    These blacks give hope well.
    If so, even for the color out of the box it will be very promising.
    We await the first R3d.
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Yeah smear is like a stripe that almost changes the nature of the noise floor.

Here's one time I got hit with it. Notice the greenish stripe through the middle of the man's jacket:
    Thanks for that example! It's definitely a rare occurrence in my shooting, but I've probably just brushed it off as a flare.
    Breonna Taylor's killers still haven't been charged.

http://www.magicgoggles.com : Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Hey Graeme, any chance that the High-ISO magenta cast can be removed from the other sensors too (IPP2.5 mayhap)? Really like the more neutral grain of 6400 Komodo, and when pushing things that far every little bit helps (especially in those deep stops).

Mike,

Magenta is just a combination of Red and Blue. Once you figure out what hue it is you can almost completely remove it like in the jpegs of the chart. And before anyone says anything, I know this is chart, I was just demonstrating. However, that Smear in the helium is another matter altogether.

What could one expect shooting this chart test at a more optimum ISO, say 800? I suspect the sensor is not close to saturation at 6400. What is optimum ISO for Helium?

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    What could one expect shooting this chart test at a more optimum ISO, say 800? I suspect the sensor is not close to saturation at 6400. What is optimum ISO for Helium?
    As of ISO calibration 2, I don't really stray anywhere outside of 500-1280 on Helium, personally, depending on what OLPF is in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    As of ISO calibration 2, I don't really stray anywhere outside of 500-1280 on Helium, personally, depending on what OLPF is in there.
    Seems like many of the current gen cameras are best in a similar range. My Bolex is best at 200-400 with very saturated Bayer filters and a very wide color gamut. I guess it comes down to the native sensitivity of silicon as a material minus whatever you stick in front of it.

Does it haf an removable OLPF?

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Seems like many of the current gen cameras are best in a similar range. My Bolex is best at 200-400 with very saturated Bayer filters and a very wide color gamut. I guess it comes down to the native sensitivity of silicon as a material minus whatever you stick in front of it.
    You mean Digital Bolex? Pretty sure it was CCD, which tend to be better than CMOS in colour/saturation because they were equal RGB, though way more expensive (exponentially so when you increase both size and resolution, hence why everyone went with CMOS/Bayer instead).

As for balancing out the magenta of Helium, Dragon, et al when ISO is pushed; sure you can do that, but it seems to reduce the low-end DR and (for obvious reasons) it'd always be better to have it that balanced/neutral out of camera/pre-compression. Just figured whatever tricks Graeme implemented in Komodo could be translated to Dragon/Helium/Gemini/Monstro in the next RCXp/SDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    You mean Digital Bolex? Pretty sure it was CCD, which tend to be better than CMOS in colour/saturation because they were equal RGB, though way more expensive (exponentially so when you increase both size and resolution, hence why everyone went with CMOS/Bayer instead).

As for balancing out the magenta of Helium, Dragon, et al when ISO is pushed; sure you can do that, but it seems to reduce the low-end DR and (for obvious reasons) it'd always be better to have it that balanced/neutral out of camera/pre-compression. Just figured whatever tricks Graeme implemented in Komodo could be translated to Dragon/Helium/Gemini/Monstro in the next RCXp/SDK.
    Yes. The Bolex uses a scientific grade Kodak/Truesense/ONsemi 1" format CCD. Same model series used in the Mars Rovers, but full 2k DCI resolution instead of HD 1080p. Kodak patented color filter array, very saturated, only 43% efficient in the red and blue channels. About 12 stops DR at optimum exposure. Shoots very much like Ektachrome 200 film stock, though it is higher DR than any 16mm film I shot in the 70's and 80's. Still use some lenses from my Bolex film cameras.

Sample frame shot with Angie 12-120 HEC.