Thread: Comprehensive Komodo Rundown

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Comprehensive Komodo Rundown 
    So.... I'm one of the guys that purchased the Hydrogen phone and I've heard that I have a credit to purchase Komodo at a reduced price. However, it's been really challenging for me to find out a full list of specs for the camera, including lens mount, media type, frame rates, audio capabilities, etc. I also can't find any information on what type of batteries it takes...? There is nothing on the Red website and I'm sick of scrolling through forum posts. Can someone just point me to where I can find a comprehensive write up detailing all information on Komodo? I'm not sure why Red hasn't provided a page on Red.com to discuss details of the program... I also have no idea how / when I can expect to receive information on when I'll be eligible to purchase. I was one person that was very early to the Hydrogen party, so I assume I'll get earlier access to Komodo? Details would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Phil Holland did a pretty comprehensive write up a little while back:

"Komodo Specs (as of 11/16/2019):
    - What's Komodo? A RED Compact Utility Camera in a small Cube-Cam form factor ready to pickup and shoot. Just add batteries, lens, media, and likely a display.
    - Sensor Technology = New 6K Sensor that features Global Shutter and Rolling Shutter Modes as well as Phase Detect Auto Focus
    - Max FPS = 6K FF @ 40fps, 6K WS @50fps. We can guestimate at 5K and 4K fps, but fps might change as they refine things ever so so slightly
    - Anamorphic Support = Appears so
    - Codec Support = Internal Compressed RAW = REDCODE RAW, unknown if other codecs are supported as of now
    - Lens Mount = Integrated Canon RF Mount (easy to adapt to nearly anything)
    - Media Type = CFast 2.0 (body features a media slot compartment w/ door)
    - Power Options = Dual Slot Canon BP Style Batteries (various capacities) w/ hot swap and ability to run off one battery + DC IN (LEMO) - Lower Power Draw than DSMC2 for sure
    - Camera Control = Integrated Touch Screen, On Camera Buttons, Some sort of Smartphone Interface, WiFi Control, EXT Port
    - Monitoring = Top Side Pogo Cableless Display Tech, 4K 6G or 12G SDI Out
    - Audio = Mic In 3.5mm jack, Headphone Jack, Internal Scratch Mic
    - Camera Cooling = It appears there's an internal heat sink and fan w/ vent
    - Form Factor = < 4x4x4" and built like a tank IMO
    - Body Weight = < 2lbs
    - Body Contruction = Appears to be Magnesium/Aluminum Alloy
    - Buttons/Indicators = On/Off Switch, Power/Status Indicator, Record Button, Tally Light, Menu, Menu Selection Up/Down, Funtion Set, Playback (probably toggle), 2X Eject Buttons for Batteries, Media Compartment Open
    - Wireless Camera Inteface/Control = WiFi w/ Antenna
    - Mobile Phone Support = Android and IOS
    - Rigging = 1/4"-20 around Pogo, 4X M4 around front of camera, 1X M3 for focus hook, general base plate form factor of DSMC2-style bodies
    - Price Point = sub $5,000 USD for Hydrogen One Owners, normal MSRP is a mystery for now
    - Camera Release Date = 2020, likely on the earlier side of things
    * Might be available in multiple colors based on Jarred's rather favorable response to your Photoshop'n, no Michael Bay FU Nike Green for you however"

Other than the release date being pushed back due to COVID-19 and in-camera monitoring being added to the top display (it was just going to be a control interface at first), the only other updates I can recall were to the price, which is $6K for regular non-discount black or $7K for storm trooper edition. Hydrogen owners are eligible for a $1000 discount on the black ones. As far as early line access, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) there will be two lines running in parallel. So Hydrogen owners won't take total priority over regular orders but will be getting some special treatment and will be able to get their cameras relatively quickly.

There was also some clarification on the Canon BP batteries - you're looking for the 7.4v ones (NOT 14V), namely the 955 and 975 as they have enough amperage for Komodo (avoid the 915).

Edit: And as of 30 minutes ago: A sneak peak at some app control with wireless monitoring
    Last edited by Aaron Lochert; 05-24-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Was 6k WS/50fps actually confirmed?
    R3D DSMC2 GEMINI

https://www.cinema5d.com/red-komodo-...-version-pdaf/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP_UV8TM13M

The specs are nowhere to be found because the camera isn't officialy announced yet, all the info we have already is because we are getting a look behind what used to be closed doors. Red is taking us on a trip. Your hydrogen code does not give you early acces(rightfully so) but it does give you a discount.

I believe 60fps @ 4k and 120fps @ 2k have been confirmed. 4k/60 video via 12G SDI to external recorders.
    Global shutter with no loss of dynamic range or sensitivity. Image quality on par with Red’s current DSMC2 cameras.

Yea I'm pretty sure 6k/50fps has not been confirmed. To my knowledge it was 6k/40, 4k/60, 2k/120 based off of information that came directly from the Komodo thread. I am optimistic for 6k/50 that's why I asked but I am not sure where cinema 5d and proav tv got that info. I mean we would assume it would do more in "WS" but I don't think RED has confirmed that yet to my knowledge or even if there will be WS version of each of the available resolution formats.
    R3D DSMC2 GEMINI

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post
    Yea I'm pretty sure 6k/50fps has not been confirmed. To my knowledge it was 6k/40, 4k/60, 2k/120 based off of information that came directly from the Komodo thread. I am optimistic for 6k/50 that's why I asked but I am not sure where cinema 5d and proav tv got that info. I mean we would assume it would do more in "WS" but I don't think RED has confirmed that yet to my knowledge or even if there will be WS version of each of the available resolution formats.
    I hope it does, even 48 fps (just an extra 8 frames!!) in 6k WS. It doesn't seem unlikely, but until I hear it from RED take it with a grain of salt. That being said, RED is quick to squash UNTRUE rumors while leaving the true ones alone.
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"