Thread: Cine Zoom or Prime to up my game?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I understand where everyone is coming from and agree with everything said above. I guess what I'm trying to ask is just like many equipment purchases I've made to invest into myself (I also invest in my education etc not just gear) what if anything would be the recommended progression I could make in investing in the glass side to "up my game" coming from Zeiss ZF.2 primes and EF Zooms and i mean captured image dont care about impressing on set. I understand the importance of lighting etc are huge as well. And being in a smaller market in Denver means having limited time with renting different sets of PL CINE primes and zooms. so is there an image quality difference i could obtain in the 8k-12k price range beyond Zeiss ZF.2 primes and EF Zooms not just ergonomics. Sounds like there is. I'd much prefer to invest in my glass then cameras.

Currently Top choices:
    Cooke S4 mini's
    Optimo DP's
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Last edited by Eric Dennis; 05-24-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    Www.outside-collective.com
    Helium CF
    Epic Dragon CF

I think you should get the rehoused Nikkors from Zero Optik. Stellar lenses in their own right.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Young View Post
    I think you should get the rehoused Nikkors from Zero Optik. Stellar lenses in their own right.
    Hey AJ, I own a set of Nikkors and I prefer a slight vintage look with them and my only issue with the Nikkors is a lack of a fast wide option. I'm shooting S35 digital. Right now I have a 24mm f2 but the 18mm f3.5 was a bit slow and not a great looking lens. I was deciding between it, a 20mm f2.8 UD (the really old 20mm), and a 20mm f1.8 Sigma EX (from the 90s maybe?) or even putting a wide angle adapter on the 28mm f2 or 24mm f2 but can't figure out what's best. What do you use or recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    No amount of lenses will Up your game. Only you can do that.
    Truth. Chasing gear won't make your images better. Focus on landing bigger, more creative jobs.
    Cinematographer
    www.derrickcohan.com

2X RED Gemini Packages
    Fujinon 19-90mm
    Sigma Cine Zooms
    Teradek RT
    Movi Pro

There are a lot of ways to "up your game," but it significantly depends what your game is. I agree that the Fujinon 19-90 can be a great choice-- as can the Fujinon 20-120 or Zeiss 21-100 in that price range--, but only if you want that look and a zoom fits your style of work.

If it's about making distinctive work, and if you feel your lighting game is in good shape (knowledge + equipment), I'd second the suggestion to develop an expertise with filters. Being able to predict what kind of an image you'll get from a black promist or digital diffusion or a net of a given strength with a given lens can be really huge for a lot of types of cinematography. (I learned the hard way, for example, what happens to that image I love from a Hollywood Black Magic 1/4 when suddenly confronted with a white background 2-3 stops above exposure!)

The other direction you might go would be a vintage zoom--you can find great stuff from Cooke (20-100, 18-100) and Angenieux (maybe 17-102?) in that range. Heavy (!), but feature a classic look quite distinct from the Fujinons (or Sigmas/Tokina, for that matter).

One other option that kinda splits the difference in look might be the Arri variable primes. I haven't shot with them myself, but you'll find a lot of people don't like them because they're heavy and offer limited zoom ranges. But then, that's why they're inexpensive for Arri glass.

Good luck!

Bob is right, only you can "up your game". Having said that (and I don't think you mentioned sensor size) since you have the Zeiss ZF.2 primes (which are wonderful lenses for what they are) then I'd recommend looking at the Zeiss LWZ.3 21-100mm zoom. You will have true cine zoom mechanics and also have an image that will cut very nicely with the Zeiss primes you own. There is a similarity in all Zeiss optics due to their coating technology.

If primes are your thing then I'd take a serious look at the Sigma cine prime set.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    Hey AJ, I own a set of Nikkors and I prefer a slight vintage look with them and my only issue with the Nikkors is a lack of a fast wide option. I'm shooting S35 digital. Right now I have a 24mm f2 but the 18mm f3.5 was a bit slow and not a great looking lens. I was deciding between it, a 20mm f2.8 UD (the really old 20mm), and a 20mm f1.8 Sigma EX (from the 90s maybe?) or even putting a wide angle adapter on the 28mm f2 or 24mm f2 but can't figure out what's best. What do you use or recommend?
    Of the vintage Nikkor lenses, the lack of fast wide angle lenses is a bummer. I own the 20mm f2.8 and love it! Since they're designed for full frame, I've been able to use a focal reducer to size the image circle for S35 and M4/3 to get an extra stop of light out of it.

The modern, auto focus version of Nikon's 20mm goes to an f1.8 but lacks the manual controls of the older lenses. Not really an issue if Zero Optik rehouses it, though!