Thread: Dragonframe and DSMC2 ahyone?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 StopMotion: Dragonframe and DSMC2 ahyone? 
    i am considering using DSMC2 most probably Monstor and Helium for a stop motion production.
    at the moment i have the Helium as well as Dragonframe setup only thing i am missing to do the test is a Jetpack and a Gig-E cable.

is there anyone that already used DSMC2 with Dragonframe? i would like to know what was your experience? any issues with color shifts, blackshading on long takes (i had a shots that took about 1 weeks to complete)? i would really like to meet someone who had used DSMC2 for StoMo. thanks

last StoMo i shot on 35mm film and Sony A7RIII with Lomo Super Speeds

https://vimeo.com/334051941
    Last edited by Luka Sanader; 05-19-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Wonderfull job! I loved it! Thanks for charing.
    Pat

Thanks Pat. i would love to get the Red sensors and IPP2, GIA scopes, and the rest of the tools i usually use, however i know it will be a hard sale to my producers. since we moved away form 35mm film camera is no longer concerned an expense and in a way camera in studio became less important then C-Stands. Even ultra high budget films are still shot on 5D Mk1 so asking my producers to use 50 000$ 31Megapixel camera instead of 3 000 51MP camera will have some challenges. i need to make a awesome test and convince powers to be that DSMC2 is the way to go... but it looks like i will need to buy Jatpack :( in order to do this pitch
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

I just got dragonframe to use with my helium but have not gotten to that project yet....maybe i am missing something but why would you need jetpack?
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Scot in order to run camera with that Dragonframe you need to connect it and only two modules that have Gigabit Ethernet input/output (9-Pin 0B) are Jetpack and Production. Dragonframe also needs a preview and in general that Dragonframe preview is problematic. Unfortunately for DSMC2 cameras you need to run separate input via capture card. Wile a modern mirrorless camera can be controlled via single USB for 50+MP RAW, small JPG and live view Red needs Gig-E and SDI. things are not ideal but i hope they work
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Sanader View Post
    Scot in order to run camera with that Dragonframe you need to connect it and only two modules that have Gigabit Ethernet input/output (9-Pin 0B) are Jetpack and Production. Dragonframe also needs a preview and in general that Dragonframe preview is problematic. Unfortunately for DSMC2 cameras you need to run separate input via capture card. Wile a modern mirrorless camera can be controlled via single USB for 50+MP RAW, small JPG and live view Red needs Gig-E and SDI. things are not ideal but i hope they work
    good to know...I had not looked into setting it up which clearly i needed to do. I will check it out. I have all the cables but might need to get JetPack i guess....I have a Sony A7III I could use..but I really want my Helium because it is just such a familiar work flow...love IPP2
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

dragonframe is developed for still cameras and there is little or no demand for Cine cameras unless you need to speed ramp. main reason using Red or any other cine camera would be to go form stop motion to live action in single shot without changing camera or without using mirror stereo rig...
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Luka, liked your 'Freaks of Nuture', well done!

Loved 'Freaks of Nuture' :-)

AJ

What are the usual shutter speed you light for? I used to work on the teaser of "Ma vie de courgette" and I used quite long exposure some times. Could this be a problem with Weapon?