Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Alternative to RedUndead?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Alternative to RedUndead? 
    Hey guys,

I recently had to use RedUndead to recover files from a couple of corrupted mini-mags... While it was successful, the legal & IT teams at the company I work for aren't keen on using it again since it's still in beta and it's a "use at your own risk" tool.

Just in case I can't convince them it's worth having around for emergencies (like the potentially thousands of dollars in reshoots I saved by using it recently!), does anyone know of any other similar tools I could look at that are a little more mainstream? Preferably for Mac, but Windows is an option as well.

Thanks!

There is a company in Germany who does that for insureances company. I've sent once a mag to them. They did a very good job but I think REDundead would have done the same...
    Insurance companies leads the world.

3.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #3  
    Hey Chad,

Sorry to hear about the issues you had with your MIMI-MAGs, that's never fun.

I wouldn't worry about the BETA tag on REDundead, it's been in "BETA" for 10+ years and has sucessfully recovered countless lost clips. If you do ever feel unsure if you should attempt to recover footage yourself, know that RED can provide data recovery on RED media for you as well.

It is always recommended to reach out to RED Support first to troubleshoot and assess your options, we've always got your back!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Harris View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the BETA tag on REDundead, it's been in "BETA" for 10+ years and has sucessfully recovered countless lost clips. If you do ever feel unsure if you should attempt to recover footage yourself, know that RED can provide data recovery on RED media for you as well.

I'm totally cool using Redundead *might just be hard to get through red tape to convince our IT/legal team it's okay to use. But it's good to know Red can do it. What's the cost for a typical card recovery?

And just so I know the greater context... In a quick-moving production environment we may not have time to send a card somewhere, is Redundead the only tool that could recover data from a mini-mag, due to Red's proprietary system? Or would any tool that can recover SSD data be a potential solution?

Also for anyone who might read this... the cause of our card issues is definitely that we've been using them for almost 2 years without doing a Secure Format (only quick formats). Didn't realize that was a thing until this happened and I started digging into what could have caused the issue.

Chad, when did y'all start using REDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    Chad, when did y'all start using REDs?
    Hey, nice to see a familiar name here! We bought a couple of Ravens around two years ago.

Followup to my previous post: I was able to talk with the folks who had reservations about using REDundead, resulting in them approving its further use. So I'm super relieved about that. But I am still curious if any other normal hard drive recovery tool would work on mini-mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Stembridge View Post
    Hey, nice to see a familiar name here! We bought a couple of Ravens around two years ago.

Followup to my previous post: I was able to talk with the folks who had reservations about using REDundead, resulting in them approving its further use. So I'm super relieved about that. But I am still curious if any other normal hard drive recovery tool would work on mini-mags?
    Yep, been around these parts for some time. Nice to see you here too!

I think Brad's suggestion to reaching out to RED Support is the best move. Fortunately I've never had to rely on REDUndead, and it's been literally years since I've even used it.