Thread: New TOKINA 25-75mm T2.9 s35

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 New TOKINA 25-75mm T2.9 s35 

Close focus is the only problem I see. Nice focal range.

I was actually pretty surprised at the 50-135's character. I've been doing a personal project during Covid and decided to use this zoom to shoot from a distance quickly. The 25-75 will pair nicely. Here's the project so far if you're curious. Shot on 6K Dragon.

https://vimeo.com/showcase/7146347

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I was actually pretty surprised at the 50-135's character. I've been doing a personal project during Covid and decided to use this zoom to shoot from a distance quickly. The 25-75 will pair nicely. Here's the project so far if you're curious. Shot on 6K Dragon.

https://vimeo.com/showcase/7146347
    Bob these spots are great.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Bob these spots are great.
    Thanks Nick!

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

It doesn't really looks like a cine lens - the controls are too far back and too cramped. I wonder why they did not just go with the classic cine zoom layout like Angie, Cooke, Zeiss, Canon, Fuji, etc....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

I'll second that-- these are great pieces. You get enough of each individual's voice to make them distinctive, but the brevity gives them impact.

And I really liked the quality of the images, as well. A significant part of that is the color, but it's also that they have a less sterile quality than I might have expected from Tokina glass. Did you use any filtration/post treatment? The grain is also pleasing.

Stupid question: what's the significance of "laneways" in your area? Is it just a term for a small or residential street, or is there more to it? I hadn't heard the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    It doesn't really looks like a cine lens - the controls are too far back and too cramped. I wonder why they did not just go with the classic cine zoom layout like Angie, Cooke, Zeiss, Canon, Fuji, etc....
    With this control layout you won't have to change position of your lens motors when changing the lens. The FIZ gears share the same position, no matter if you use the ultrawide-, standard- or the telezoom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    I mean, if I had to guess, to maintain the gear spacing of the complimenting zooms they offer like the 11-20 T2.9 and Tokina 50-135mm T2.9, both of those of course are based on the still counterparts. The 25-75 T2.9 seems to be designed from the ground up however.

Going to be some interesting times. A fair amount of Super 35mm zooms at a rather affordable price coming to the market. This is a nice and very useful range.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

That makes sense. Is there room back there for the motors? I mean 3 of them will not fit on one side but they can be staggered easily enough. The iris ring may be too close to the PL mount on some cameras to put a rail mounter motor. I just like traditional easy fit spacing on cine lenses where focus is up front, zoom in the middle and iris in the back but good 1-2 inches from the mount. There was a good reason for that layout (that every "strictly" cine lens manufacturer has used) but may not be the case anymore....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment