Thread: Komodo - Form Factor and Weight

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Komodo - Form Factor and Weight 
    As we get closer to Komodo's release from the paddock, here's a quick thoughts on camera weight and size:

On the Scale

- RED Komodo weighs < 2lb (< 1kg)

- Canon BP-975 Batteries = 0.785lb (0.356kg)
    - Canon BP-955 Batteries = 0.55lb (0.249kg)

The CFast 2.0 media weight is um.... about 0.35oz or 10g. Negligible.

Lenses come in all shapes and sizes, plus you can use all sort of adapters. That is the true variable outside of adding an external monitor. And of course you'll be able to monitor with stuff that's super compact and lightweight through more bulky traditional field monitors.

But.

It's entirely possible to configure Komodo with a lens and get a decent runtime with it below 4lbs or (~1.8kg). In fact 3.5lbs is a reality with some setups. Remember you can load it up with one battery if you need to go full ninja.

Jarred has been teasing the live feed on the top LCD and I'm betting a lot of people will like that for some quick shooting setups. That is indeed the lightest weight rigged way to go.

Physical Form Factor

Komodo is about a 4 inch cube.

Equipped with a good small battery we're looking at 6.5" rig length before a lens gets involved.

Because Komodo Super 35mm + Sensor, really small lenses can come into play. Like freaky small even.

One thing to be aware of though is some lenses are big too. Bigger in diameter than Komodo. That will inspire some creative rigging where you'll likely be mounting to the lens and perhaps letting Komodo dangle.

There's going to be some new glass announced relatively soon for Komodo. Combined with current really small and short lenses out there, yes you can be filming certainly in the realm of 7.5"-9" in reality.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

How much to get "Dangle" engraved on my Komodo? ;)

Cheers - #19

Finding center balance will be an interesting challenge, especially if you have a larger lens.

I'm always tinkering with the balance on my rigs when I'm shooting handheld/on easy-rig. Not that you'll need an easy-rig for the Komodo.

Phil - any thoughts on how to attach camera straps to the Komodo? I've seen you using a camera strap on the DSMC2 cameras, but not sure how it was attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    How much to get "Dangle" engraved on my Komodo? ;)9
    I remember getting bit by an alligator lizard as a kid and walking down the hill to my parents house with the lizard attached to my finger. This is no different.

Fortunately my Nile Monitor never bit me!

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Jarvis View Post
    Finding center balance will be an interesting challenge, especially if you have a larger lens.

I'm always tinkering with the balance on my rigs when I'm shooting handheld/on easy-rig. Not that you'll need an easy-rig for the Komodo.

Phil - any thoughts on how to attach camera straps to the Komodo? I've seen you using a camera strap on the DSMC2 cameras, but not sure how it was attached.

I think the balance won't be that hard. I mean it's much how we do it now, longer plates and/or dovetails.

I'm certain somebody will make a shoulder rig for Komodo, but I've gone full rogue on that front with quick releases and monopods, which I prefer over a lot "fishing line based" camera support.

1/4-20 eye bolts will do the trick. Komodo is light weight enough to likely use a single bolt setup, but I'll still use two as I've grown fond of wearing the camera and being able to shoot with it that way. I suspect with the side handles we've seen teased you can use something like a Peak Strap straight onto those arms by looping the quick release bits around it.

I ordered extra eye bolts and you'll certainly see that first from me. Something neato about having the neck strap and the handles. Very, very similar to the my Belly Cam setup for DSMC and DSMC2. Except about 1/3rd the weight.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Komodo screams for a bottom mounted grip setup with a record trigger like my Bolex.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Komodo screams for a bottom mounted grip setup with a record trigger like my Bolex.

Pistol grip with camera start/stop functionality - yes I'd gladly own this accessory. Problem is, how do you wire the electronics to the camera? Is the handle battery powered and communicates over wifi?

The Canon 35mm RF lens is looking pretty good.
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Marcus Rosen View Post
    Pistol grip with camera start/stop functionality - yes I'd gladly own this accessory. Problem is, how do you wire the electronics to the camera? Is the handle battery powered and communicates over wifi?
    On the Bolex it's a mechanical switch built into the base. Komodo, possibly cabled via the AUX port via a dry contact switch closure or logic voltage trigger. Don't know if that will be possible or not yet.

I'm super excited for Komodo like everyone else here, I also have an obsession with keeping things as small and light as possible. I'm really hoping there's a cableless monitor solution in the works... Having that with M mount lenses and my OG DSMC1 wheel handle Attached would be the dream set up, Especially with a MS OPTICS APOQUALIA-G 28MM F2 M MOUNT lens. Here is what I do to my Helium to get it as small as possible.

IMG_8639 by TheGrigorian, on Flickr
    IMG_8635 by TheGrigorian, on Flickr

True Komodo could be a great Bolex or Eyemo style camera. Using it with a handle (wich could contain the battery a la RoninS) and a clever eyepiece to invent...
    Made by Kippertie ;-) John Marchant where are you?