Thread: How to keep our cameras safe in different environments

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 How to keep our cameras safe in different environments 
    Hello lets talk about cameras in the extreme environments like rain, hot places, dusty places, cold places, moist places electro magnetic places airpot X-Ray's and what is your advice to avoid sensor damage

share your knowledge to help us keep our cameras in good shape.

.share good and bad experiences
    .share products
    .share DIY stuff

Thank you,
    Attached Images

Coming in from the Cold

You can avoid condensation if you seal your camera gear in an airtight plastic bag before you bring it inside. It will then be surrounded only by the very dry air from outdoors. You may get some condensation on the outside of the bag, but the camera or lens will slowly warm up in dry air inside the bag and will stay dry. Self-sealing freezer bags work well for this, but any container which you can seal will also do the trick. Just be sure to put the camera and lens in the bag before you go indoors. Once you’re indoors, it’s too late!

there are some nice sweet guys over in this thread that have a lot of knowledge
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...-Blower-Thread

someone posted this before
    https://www.gateshousings.com/deep-weapon-housing/
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Red in cold

It's not recommended to boot the red camera in warm environment, and than start shooting in cold. the sensor needs to adopt shooting temperature to get good quality.
    Sometimes you will have to calibrate your sensor to the shooting temperature.
    So be aware to cool your camera before booting it up.

in the cold i like to avoid getting gear in and out. condensation can be a big problem. in general two cameras that i used that ware the best in extreme conditions and only cameras that i never had any problems with shooting wildlife ware Arriflex 16SRII and Sony F55. coldest i have ever shot was -55C with Konvas 2M 35mm with upgraded electronics by Aranda Films but i had problem with film stock at that point. F55 i shot at -50C and also had no issues. i am big fan of covering my cameras with primitive and inexpensive methods. unless if i have rain and strong wind combo i usually have no issues with my temporary wrapings. on the bad side several times i had wind blowing off parts of my wrappings and loose nylon ended up in Ocean or rivers. this makes me sad but unfortunately its hard to avoid this form happening. i had bad experience with Red Motion mount that became totally useless around -20C. did anyone else had similar issues with Motion?
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

I'm a ski/sports DP/cinematographer and most of my shooting tends to be be in harsh weather. I've shot down to -25F and often am shooting in super wet/humid snowing conditions which is much more challenging.

-I've never done any official testing but I feel like if the health of my batteries are healthy they aren't affected nearly as much by the cold as when they get a bit warn out. I feel like the old batteries will do pretty good in warm weather but will only last a fraction of the run time when it's cold.

-when I know I'm shooting in cold weather I'll set my fan speed and calibrate my sensor to run at a lower temperature to need less time to warm up (I'm running an Epic Dragon DSMC1).

-You can try to keep your batteries warm, sometimes I'll use a one of the roll top lunch bags to add a little insulation.

-chemical handwarmers are a huge help. I'll tape a couple to my EVF and the back of my monitor to prevent the weird lag effect that happens with the cold temps. (don't over do the tape, you need to give the hand warmers room to breath other wise they quit putting out heat) Also nice on the evf to help prevent some fogging from your face and eye which is really frustrating (sometimes I'll wad a hand warmer next to the glass inside the eyecup and pull it out right before the shot which is probably the best way I've found to keep from fogging).

-For the wet snow situations I normally run a custom camera cover I made out of a small pack cover. It basically fits over the body with a hole for the lens and a slit for the monitor and I can cover the EVF while still being able to look into the eyepiece.

-I also bring another big pack cover that I can cover the whole rig if it's really nuking and I'm in standby mode or if I need to change lenses I can get my head under it and make the change.

-I use 77mm round filters on my L lenses and a zip box if I'm running a 17-120 or 21-100, so instead of a matte box I use a custom clamp on French flag which helps keep falling snow and rain away from the lens.

-For wet days I have a bunch of chamois strips I've cut up into smaller pieces. I feel like Chamois is much more absorbent than microfiber or kimwipes and you can kinda squeegee the water off of your filter. When one gets wet you just rotate to a dry one.

-I'll always use at least a clear filter if it's crap weather so I'm not putting miles and miles on my element if I'm constantly having to scrape a bunch of snow or water off the business end of my lens.

-I'll use the mentioned camera in the plastic bag method but only if the camera is completely dry but if it's at all wet I don't want the moisture locked in with the camera. If the camera is dry I'll usually just leave it in the pack and let it warm up gradually which doesn't result in any condensation. The best hack I know is from Tyler Hamlet, another snow DP I work with from time to time: If your camera is soaked or at all wet, the best method is to wrap it in a blanket or just put it under your covers in your hotel room. The camera heats up gradually not drawing any condensation and the moisture is drawn away from the camera or lens.

-It's a little riskier but sometimes if I know I'm having to do a quick turn around going from outside to inside I'll leave the camera on inside my pack and when I get inside it will but up to inside temp and I'm not fogging my lens immediately when it comes out of the pack (make sure you have the lens you plan on shooting with on the camera) (be careful you are paying attention and that you aren't nuking your camera by covering your vents).
    Last edited by Jeffrey Wright; 05-17-2020 at 09:41 PM.