Thread: Thinking of buying a RED

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Thanks for all the input everyone. Again, gives me a lot to think about. Kinda sucks because I’d just hate to spend nearly as much money only to feel like I’m settling on some of these other options. These are good points for sure, just sucks because it’s like meeting your hero and they’re not what you thought. I’ve used a lot of the cameras mentioned here and they just don’t do it for me. Not like the RED. Also, what makes my decision a little hard is that like I said, this is not just for football. I do a ton of stuff outside of football. I’m just going to happen to use it for my job, but I’m buying it for just as many outside projects. If I were buying it for strictly football, I’d make the team foot the bill and wouldn’t have to worry about a thing. But I’m getting my production company off the ground and who knows how long I’ll be still shooting sports depending on how that goes. So I guess I’d just hate to disqualify this camera for a little piece of the puzzle as well.

Again, all really good replies and stuff to think about. I’m going hands on with one this week so there’s still that as well as I continue to make my decision and move towards a purchase next month

Think of Red as a brilliant image capture device. Extremely good and powerful for cspturing images. But if there is a high need for auto focus built in ND filters and audio it may not be the most suited for all cases. Many of those points can be corrected with more equipment but will increase costs. We have the Revolva ND filters, focus motors and high quality audio recorders. They all give a far better result than what is built in but add complexity and cost.
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Built in ND’s are not a huge factor for me. I went the past two seasons without them on the Sony a7 and it hadn’t been a problem. Same with autofocus. Yes I use it now because it’s there but it’s screwed me out of more shots than I can count and recently this past season I’ve switched to manual focus and already own a follow focus. The only question that remains would be the audio which at this point, I’m not thinking I’d allow to be a deal breaker. No camera is perfect but seems this one checks more boxes than many others for me

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Lofton View Post
    Aside from an unfair comparison to RED, I love my Sony. Itís just time for a switch, mainly because not having 4K/60 sucked and I canít wait any longer for the A7siii and itís ghost specs. Besides RED, my other option was the ursa mini pro G2 (over the pocket cameras because although the price is great, I hated getting all the parts, etc to kit my Sony out, even though I know the RED is similar and will have to kit it out too :) ) anyway, Iíve seen some really beautiful images from Blackmagic and Iíve seen some stuff that is a turn off. Again, thereís nothing like RED. Same thing with FX9. Not a fan of the MXF files and at that point, after dropping $15k to get it where I need it to be I could have the RED Iíve always admired.

Anyway, again, sorry for the long post and thank you to anyone who read all that. Any advice you all have on my approach to this, buying used, or just anything in general, Iím open to hearing and learning. Hope you all have a great day!
    If you love your Sony (and are sick of waiting for the a7Smk3... which honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it never arrives ever! It is a mythical beast people have dreamed up, not based on reality) then you should seriously consider deeply researching the Panasonic S1H. It is an amazing killer camera, the only hybrid camera to ever get Netflix certification! And the cheapie Panasonic S1 makes for a great B Cam alongside your S1H.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Quote Originally Posted by RobMNeilson View Post
    For sports coverage I would maybe go Sony F5 / F55 (is there any difference between these two models anymore, F5 enabled 4k awhile back I think?). I'd think that one of these is sub $10k used.

It's great in low light, not power hungry, has an ENG camera body, decent audio options and importantly it's not heavy. With the lens mount system you can get anything on there. PL, B4, etc. My only complaint shooting sports doco / eng with that camera is it also has a long boot up time like the red before you can be recording.

Another nice choice might be the Varicam LT, though I have no idea the price on those on the used/new market right now.

Not as sexy as RED, and I don't think the picture is as nice...but it will be quite a bit easier to work with on your shoulder all day.
    Sony F55 has a global shutter, and yes not only is it sub $10K, but you can even find it for sub $7K!
    With the Sony F5 being even cheaper, sub $5K! I'd say if looking around for an owner op camera (which isn't an hybrid) on a budget, it is hard not to consider an F5 or an FS7 (sub $3K!!! just wow, so cheap now)

Panasonic Varicam LT has seen a price slash which has seen it drop to just under US$10K for the body brand new. That makes it very competitively priced! A good choice if you want great image quality, and love the dual ISO feature. Plus you've got the obvious Panasonic S1H (or EVA1) as the most kick ass ever small B Cam to have alongside your Varicam LT.

The Varicam LT is a little on the bulky side (relative to say a FS7), but as you can handle an AMIRA, then you'll manage a Varicam LT just fine indeed!
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)

Audy- the kinefinity definitely caught my attention. However, I’ve done some research and it seems like there’s a lot on paper that people aren’t sure will actually live up to the hype. With an investment this big I’d rather not be one of the early adopters, perhaps I’ll check it out down the line once’s it’s built it’s name a bit. It is tempting.
    Kinefinity already has a good track record of delivering with their existing Mavo and Terra series of cameras (and not to mention their older cameras too! Kinefinity has been around much longer than people realize).

The downside though is that they're not as well known. Is kinda a Catch 22!

The other camera is actually an arri Alexa Classic. Now I know a ton of people will say “hold up, everything you said you needed goes out the window” haha trust me, I know. I’m not crazy about the size and weight, the risk of buying a camera that old, the old, hard to find and expensive media, the hassle of that PL mount, and did I mention the weight? But goodness, even at just 2k and limited frame rate that thing produces gorgeous images and for roughly $6-$7.5k it’s hard not to think of all the other gear like lights and lenses and stuff I could buy to maximize my budget. Decisions decisions
    For your kind of work an ARRI AMIRA would be much much more suitable than a Classic! (plus, you've already been using them!)

They've become shockingly cheap on the secondhand market. Isn't too hard to find them for sub $15K

And with some luck and persistence you could possibly even find an AMIRA body for closer to your $10K budget than to $15K

Thanks Rob. I hadn’t heard of any team in the nfl with them either but apparently there are quite a few according the rep from RED I spoke with.
    Of course he'd say that!
    But the reality is there are far far more AMIRA/FS7/F5/F55 cameras shooting with sports teams than REDs! (heck, I bet Panasonic with their VaricamLT/EVA1/S1H/GH5/etc have far more cameras in use by sports teams than RED branded cameras)
    Last edited by David Peterson; 05-21-2020 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks for all the info David. I’ve officially decided to go with a RED. There will for sure be done things I need to work around. Very few, minor things. But after researching, weighing everything, all the advice, I just can’t see myself spending that much and not getting the camera I really want. Just too close to settle

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    You didnít mention - are you working handheld, or on a gimbal. For a handheld camera I find Red really comfortable, especially with photo lenses. The way you can kit it (side handle just screws right into the top of the body), how fast you can do it - is just exclusive. Your camera can shrink almost to a brain size, or could grow 0,7 meters in size in 10 minutes.

Though, the camera is batt-hungry, it consumes around 65wH, which means youíll have to carry around some V-locks to spend your day. While you fly a lot, itís a thing to consider (there are IATA limits on batts).

R3D workflow is fast, in Premiere Pro on a PC itís a non-brainer for most machines, while Resolve experience is going to be more power-hungry. Also on dsmc2 you can record prores proxies for a fast turn-around.

Iíd say rent one, work a week before buying - get used to a workflow, see if it does fit your work. If itís limiting somewhere, Iíd say think twice - in the end itís only you who sees the difference in your field, so if your job becomes harder it might not be worth a hassle.
    When Alex talks...listen.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

I want one of those Amira's for $15k!!! All the ones I've seen have been $20k and up.

Right Rob! I’ve seen some that get that low but they are few and far between and seem like they come with some heavy wear and use. My budget is around $10k but if I could push it to $15-$20k I’d get a Gemini over an Amira anyway