Thread: Thinking of buying a RED

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I wonder what that camera was!
    Is it Kinefinity Mavo Edge? :)
    I mean with the Internal ND, small battery, 25-35W power draw, dual ISO, Large Format, lots of mount options, Audio Inputs, ProResRAW, cheap media, $12K price tag, etc.. Should ticks a lot of boxes for many doc shooters & independent content creators, being objective.
    SCARLET-W #004760

Audy- the kinefinity definitely caught my attention. However, I’ve done some research and it seems like there’s a lot on paper that people aren’t sure will actually live up to the hype. With an investment this big I’d rather not be one of the early adopters, perhaps I’ll check it out down the line once’s it’s built it’s name a bit. It is tempting.

The other camera is actually an arri Alexa Classic. Now I know a ton of people will say “hold up, everything you said you needed goes out the window” haha trust me, I know. I’m not crazy about the size and weight, the risk of buying a camera that old, the old, hard to find and expensive media, the hassle of that PL mount, and did I mention the weight? But goodness, even at just 2k and limited frame rate that thing produces gorgeous images and for roughly $6-$7.5k it’s hard not to think of all the other gear like lights and lenses and stuff I could buy to maximize my budget. Decisions decisions

All great advice here. But the best advice is to rent or borrow one and use it on the job once. That's the only way to know if it will work for your needs. Do that before spending $$$$ buying it. And that applies to ANY camera, not just RED. Rent first, then buy with confidence.
    Jaime VallÚs

AJV Media
    Video, photography & graphic design
    www.ajvmedia.com

Rent atleast for a week first.

But I would skip the scarlet W and get a monstro. Scarlet W is a great camera, but Monstro is from a different planet in comparision.

What I would do if I did the kind of work as you describe:

-Get a few big mags. 4 Kipper tie 2tb would be plenty.

-Shot low bitrate high resolution, like 8k 12:1.

-Edit in resolve, straight from the mags. use resole lowres setting for editing and full res for export. Any computer made after 2010 does this very well.

-Export from resolve to 4k prores and upload to vimeo.

-If backing up source material you can do a media management in resolve very quickly to trim the source and still stay in native raw.

Likly, if you shoot monstro, you will get plenty of material that sticks out above the rest that can sell well as stock footage. Monstro also as I see it has best lowlight and highspeed capacity of the red cameras. That together with pre record and other features together with the fantastic picture quality separates it from the rest.

But again make sure you rent first and make sure to get a kit suited for what you do. A lot of batteries to carry around and a good formfactor for what you do.
    Bj÷rn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Lofton View Post
    The other camera is actually an arri Alexa Classic – that thing produces gorgeous images and for roughly $6-$7.5k
    Did you just watch the YouTube video by Hugo Will? It popped up in my stream yesterday. Hasn't got many views but I find it interesting that I just watched that, and then read your post here...

Are you looking for a certain camera to fill specific needs, or are you looking to get the "most pro" camera (and image IQ) for a certain price?

When I re-read your first post, I thought the C300 mkIII would be a good fit for you, but this Alexa is a different kind of camera.

You say in a summary above, talking about non RED cameras: "All of which I can’t really think of any reasons why these would be better than RED".

Cameras fill different roles, so there needs to be a comma after your statement above like:

"All of which I can’t really think of any reasons why these would be better than RED, when it comes to portability..."

"All of which I can’t really think of any reasons why these would be better than RED, when it comes to audio..."

"All of which I can’t really think of any reasons why these would be better than RED, when it comes to auto focus..."

"All of which I can’t really think of any reasons why these would be better than RED, when it comes to total $ price..."

"All of which I can’t really think of any reasons why these would be better than RED, when it comes to weight..."

The list could go on and on. Sometimes the RED will come out on top, and sometimes it won't.

Andrew- Yes I did. Really good information. Also saw Potato Jet’s video of him buying one and it just was interesting. Tbh, there’s pretty much no way I’d buy it cause the cons far outweigh the pros, but it’s something to think about.

But you’re right, it’s more about finding something that is great image quality and then working with everything else from there and in my opinion, there aren’t many cameras that I feel can compete with the RED there. Not even talking tech specs, just personal preference. Even if I had 10x the money, I’d still lean towards RED because something about those images speak to me.

That’s kinda why unless someone gave a stellar reason for something like a Blackmagic or a canon, even though yeah I could probably get those up and running for a little cheaper, they may be a little easier on one thing or another, it all comes back to me still having to be happy with the Image and the look it puts out. We have some canon C series cameras and just quite honestly I’m not a fan of the image it puts out. Same with the Blackmagic. I’ve seen some tests and research and some stuff looks great and then some stuff makes me wonder (I know this is more about the user and their color skills but still). I think that’s the biggest thing I learned from this thread and all these replies. Again, it’s hard to say, RED is better than _____” because that’s objective. Everybody needs different things and has different reasons why a camera would be better. Somebody recommended a Monstro above. They said it would be “better” but it really wouldn’t because it would hurt my budget and there’s no way I need that much resolution. Somebody else recommended on another forum a Blackmagic broadcast camera. The list can go on and on and on cause if you ask 10 different people, they’ll give you 10 different answers based on their perspective. Which I knew and expected. I didn’t expect to read something in these replies and for a lightbulb to go off. I simply wanted to get as much info as I could from my peers so that I could make the most informed purchase I can. This was just a piece of the puzzle. I’ve also had contact with a rep from red getting info, went in depth with a couple friends who own them, and spent a ton of time on YouTube and online doing research.

You say that your team uses Amiras. Have you thought about using that camera? It seems like it does everything that you are asking. You can change color temp, frame rate, various nd's, false color, zebra, waveform, color peaking all at the flick of a button. Built in handheld mount so no cages etc. Built in audio so you could attach a mic easily. Shoot in pro res for quick easy turn around. Shoots up to 200 fps with no windowing in on the sensor. No black shading for various temperatures/fps. Maybe the team will put up the cash and add to their inventory for you to have one?

Mark - that’s something I’ve thought about, but like the Alexa, the weight is what becomes a hassle. Which is why I briefly thought about the Alexa but my shoulder started crying remembering having to lug that Amira around. Funny story, but a few years ago I was working for a church that shot on Red and amiras. I had to go on a mission trip to Haiti and could choose whichever camera I wanted. I went with the Amira, despite the size difference all because I didn’t want to record audio separately from the red. I was young and inexperienced haha but never again. Anyways, I’m also wanting to make this investment myself. I’m starting to do a lot of extra side work as far as weddings, short films, and I’m building my own thing so I’m really just wanting to invest in something myself so that when the tome comes, I’m not starting from scratch and leaving all that equipment behind. Besides, they can also be a little cheap when it comes to buying gear. No disrespect to them, just kinda how it is

With my NFL experience I've encountered Amira's / FS7 / and a couple F55's, and surprisingly no RED's travelling with the away teams, however I've seen them on the NBA court. You can certainly have one rigged out to be lighter than an Amira and they are robust enough for run and gun (though power hungry, so get yourself a hot swap option and avoid that 20s startup). If it were up to me I'd pick an Amira with a nice zoom lens (if I have a utility to help)...but if its me by my lonesome I would maybe make a different choice.

Thanks Rob. I hadn’t heard of any team in the nfl with them either but apparently there are quite a few according the rep from RED I spoke with. Just me, carrying all my gear, shooting, and editing. A one man bad. Those amiras are just way too have. I was seriously considering the Alexa classic as well but again, that weight is just too much.