Thread: HDRX and Global Shutter

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 HDRX and Global Shutter 
    Will it be possible to shoot in HDRX with the Global Shutter? I have a general layman's idea how HDRX works, and I am not sure if it is possible to do the same trick with a global shutter. Will the Komodo be capable of shooting in HDRX at all? With a global shutter can samples be taken from the same exposure?
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"

AFAIK the only thing that might hold the Komodo back from being able to use HDRx is the maximum frame rate. Well, that plus the data rate. I'm hardly an expert on this, but I don't believe that global vs rolling shutter has any bearing on the camera's ability to support HDRx.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    AFAIK the only thing that might hold the Komodo back from being able to use HDRx is the maximum frame rate. Well, that plus the data rate. I'm hardly an expert on this, but I don't believe that global vs rolling shutter has any bearing on the camera's ability to support HDRx.
    Agreed. It definitely wont be possible at 6K, unless you shoot at 20fps, since HDRX halves your max frame rate. And I doubt Red would enable it for lower resolutions only.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Agreed. It definitely wont be possible at 6K, unless you shoot at 20fps, since HDRX halves your max frame rate. And I doubt Red would enable it for lower resolutions only.
    Would be nice if we have the HDRX option.
    But, as you have all mentioned already, frame rate is identified as the limiting factor.
    You never know, If we crop down to either 6K WS or even at some flavour of 5K, HDRX might just be viable...?
    I shoot most of my work at 24fps and on a rare occasion I might overcrank to 40.
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Karydis View Post
    Would be nice if we have the HDRX option.
    But, as you have all mentioned already, frame rate is identified as the limiting factor.
    You never know, If we crop down to either 6K WS or even at some flavour of 5K, HDRX might just be viable...?
    I shoot most of my work at 24fps and on a rare occasion I might overcrank to 40.
    Hey Gregory. Yeah, I agree it's probably viable, but not sure Red would implement it. I do really wish 6k went up to 50fps, but looks like we will have to wait for Komodo v2 for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    On my Epic-W, I can use HDRx in 6K but not 8K... so Red has been fine to enable HDRx in cropped rather than open gate on cameras that aren't able to handle the required data rate. So I'm guessing that it's going to keep doing that for Komodo, but I have a feeling that even if HDRx got pushed so that Red could bring the new sensor to market with its first global shutter and PDAF implementations, then that's life. I have a feeling that although a few users might complain about it a bit, given how nice this little beast will be, the complaining won't last long. :)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    On my Epic-W, I can use HDRx in 6K but not 8K... so Red has been fine to enable HDRx in cropped rather than open gate on cameras that aren't able to handle the required data rate.
    Thanks Rakesh, I did not know that.

With the exceptional DR of the current gen Reds, HDRX is perhaps not as needed as it used to be.

I agree David, the current crop of RED sensors don't need it as much.
    But HDRX has a secondary use which is not as widespread.
    When dealing with VFX, the HDRX stream can help a lot, even if it doesn't end up in the finished footage.
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    With the exceptional DR of the current gen Reds, HDRX is perhaps not as needed as it used to be.
    I still need it, I do a fair amount of shooting inside military aircraft while they are operating. I know it is not common and I know most people use RED cameras in controlled environments, but there are always exceptions to the rule. One day I want to capture both the faces of the pilots in a dark cockpit, and be able to make out the cloud detail in the sky from above. Or shoot cargo being loaded up where it is not silhouetting from the inside of the aircraft. I know these extremes that most won't come across, but sometimes you just need every bit of dynamic range you can squeeze out of a camera.
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"