Thread: Spooky 60sec Short Film - R1MX/anamorphic

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Spooky 60sec Short Film - R1MX/anamorphic 
    Cooked up this fun (very) short film for a "Bored @ Home" video contest.

RED One MX with LOMO squarefront lenses, Black Pro Mist filters.

Thanks for watching, stay safe!
    ryancglover.com
    RED ONE MX 0423
    LOMO standard speed 18,22,35,50,75
    LOMO squarefront anamorphic 35,50,80

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I liked it! I'm not into horror but this was more paranormal, which is my cup of tea. Horror is too scary, supernatural is too trite. Paranormal allows nuance and poses more questions than answers.

Technical points: very well lit, shot, edited, directed and performed. I don't like the grain. It's still digital underneath, and you can't hide it. I do like some of the filters like Pro Mists, and I'd prefer those than adding grain. I'm very impressed by how the MX sensor performs. I wonder if an A7 or GH5 would hold the desk lamp as well as the R1. I'm betting not, but I'm willing to be surprised.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Excellent work on this with the Red One. I agree with Karin this looks more paranormal than horror which is even better. Thanks for sharing with the community and keep up the excellent work.

Nice, enjoyed it. Horror especially supernatural horror if my favorite genre (actually right now I am finishing the composing of a supernatural horror 'album' for a short film I want to shoot when all this covid insanity ends although it is one actor one location short); if you ever do another horror short and need a composer, I work for a bag of trail mix lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I liked it! I'm not into horror but this was more paranormal, which is my cup of tea. Horror is too scary, supernatural is too trite. Paranormal allows nuance and poses more questions than answers.

Technical points: very well lit, shot, edited, directed and performed. I don't like the grain. It's still digital underneath, and you can't hide it. I do like some of the filters like Pro Mists, and I'd prefer those than adding grain. I'm very impressed by how the MX sensor performs. I wonder if an A7 or GH5 would hold the desk lamp as well as the R1. I'm betting not, but I'm willing to be surprised.
    Thanks Karim! From my experiences the DR on the MX is pretty close to the GH5s, and the a7s2 in Slog2/3 probably has a little more, but the 12 bit RAW of the MX still offers many advantages (though not in the heat/weight/battery department!). Using the IPP2 rolloff has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Knight View Post
    Excellent work on this with the Red One. I agree with Karin this looks more paranormal than horror which is even better. Thanks for sharing with the community and keep up the excellent work.
    Thanks Simon!

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Oelerich View Post
    Nice, enjoyed it. Horror especially supernatural horror if my favorite genre (actually right now I am finishing the composing of a supernatural horror 'album' for a short film I want to shoot when all this covid insanity ends although it is one actor one location short); if you ever do another horror short and need a composer, I work for a bag of trail mix lol.
    Thanks Randall. Supernatural/Paranormal horror is my favourite too. Just before COVID, I actually wrapped up post on a supernatural feature that I also directed/shot called THE STRINGS, so keep an eye out for that! (Although that was on a Mini with my LOMOs.)
    ryancglover.com
    RED ONE MX 0423

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I think I might like The Strings - if anything it's a way to see full projects from fellow members of this site. I like the poster and the vague premise, so we will see. Let me know where I can watch it once it is released.

BTW you said you shot it on a Mini but really that thing is fucking huge. :-P
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    I think I might like The Strings - if anything it's a way to see full projects from fellow members of this site. I like the poster and the vague premise, so we will see. Let me know where I can watch it once it is released.

BTW you said you shot it on a Mini but really that thing is fucking huge. :-P
    Indeed, the rigged up Mini was anything but miniature haha. I forgot, but we actually did shoot a few days of pick-up shots on an original Epic Dragon in 6K as well.

I hope you get a chance to check out the film before too long! Very uncertain landscape with festivals right now...
    ryancglover.com
    RED ONE MX 0423