Thread: Upgrade Path from EPIC-W Helium to DSCM2

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Upgrade Path from EPIC-W Helium to DSCM2 
    Hello,

I tried to find a date on the red.com site, but I couldn't find it: is there a fixed / known date, when the upgrade path from EPIC-W Helium to DSCM2 will end?

best wishes and kind regards,
    Martin

I’m in the same boat. Based off their history they leave those upgrade options open for a long time.

It's easy to find under the "upgrades" section. https://www.red.com/upgrade-eligibility

i have talked to them about this two months ago. Basically i was told to keep an eye on announcement and that they will let us kn ow in advance ... on a funny side I was also corrected by tec support and i was told that Epic-W is DSMC2 and that upgrade is "Unibody"! so we will have month or two head time before they close the path. as for me i think Kinefinty just has closed that "Unibody" path as i have lost any interest is giving Red 6000$ for basically 30fps on 8k. at this point it makes no seance any more.
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Sanader View Post
    i have talked to them about this two months ago. Basically i was told to keep an eye on announcement and that they will let us kn ow in advance ... on a funny side I was also corrected by tec support and i was told that Epic-W is DSMC2 and that upgrade is "Unibody"! so we will have month or two head time before they close the path. as for me i think Kinefinty just has closed that "Unibody" path as i have lost any interest is giving Red 6000$ for basically 30fps on 8k. at this point it makes no seance any more.
    I second this. At this point, where camera technology pricing is coming down so fast, I'm really debating holding for DSMC 3, which I do highly suspect RED will give upgrade pricing for Epic-W, but even so, I can't justify spending $15k+ on cameras anymore. I'm a hobby shooter, and I'm getting old enough now that I have to be more responsible for my future retirement, and dropping 20k for a hobby camera, when I could just get a Blackmagic 6k for $1999, and be done with it... It's tough staying in the RED ecosystem.

I went from RED One MX, Scarlet Dragon, to Epic-W, but who knows what I may do next. Back in the RED One / Scarlet Dragon days, to get cinema quality images RED was pretty much the only 'real' option for someone like me, but you can get cinema quality images for 'cheap' now.
    Last edited by Adam Montville; 05-13-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Montville View Post
    I second this. At this point, where camera technology pricing is coming down so fast, I'm really debating holding for DSMC 3, which I do highly suspect RED will give upgrade pricing for Epic-W, but even so, I can't justify spending $15k+ on cameras anymore. I'm a hobby shooter, and I'm getting old enough now that I have to be more responsible for my future retirement, and dropping 20k for a hobby camera, when I could just get a Blackmagic 6k for $1999, and be done with it... It's tough staying in the RED ecosystem.

I went from RED One MX, Scarlet Dragon, to Epic-W, but who knows what I may do next. Back in the RED One / Scarlet Dragon days, to get cinema quality images RED was pretty much the only 'real' option for someone like me, but you can get cinema quality images for 'cheap' now.
    If you like Red's IQ and workflow, I think you would be seriously disappointed with a BM6k. Just keep your Epic.