Thread: MacBook Pro 16-Inch

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 MacBook Pro 16-Inch 
    We would like to know is anyone using a MacBook Pro 16 inch to edit RED RAW footage? We may do some 6K and 8K video. We're going to be portable and editing on location, is there any additional hardware that you recommend?

An external GPU (Radeon VII or equivalent).

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    An external GPU (Radeon VII or equivalent).
    Lol!

OP, what are you editing in? And what kind of playback quality are you hoping for?

Full Debayer at 6k will be tough, never mind 8k. But 1/4 (aka “performance” in FCPX) should be okay even when running off the CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Lol!

OP, what are you editing in? And what kind of playback quality are you hoping for?

Full Debayer at 6k will be tough, never mind 8k. But 1/4 (aka “performance” in FCPX) should be okay even when running off the CPU.
    Davinci Resolve 16.2.1 with support for Metal based R3D decode with the RED 7.3 RC SDK. (not gonna use it, only for ProRes output).

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Byrd View Post
    We would like to know is anyone using a MacBook Pro 16 inch to edit RED RAW footage? We may do some 6K and 8K video. We're going to be portable and editing on location, is there any additional hardware that you recommend?
    That will depend in large part what NLE you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Davinci Resolve 16.2.1 with support for Metal based R3D decode with the RED 7.3 RC SDK. (not gonna use it, only for ProRes output).

You are not the OP.

I got a MBP 16" and it will freeze and reboot with no warning. I did some research, might be a power problem AND / OR the use of the eGPU by blackmagic (non Pro). Just a heads up. Anyone else experiencing this?

These are my specs:

Mac Book Pro (Space Grey)
    8 Core 2.3 GHz
    32GB RAM
    GPU with 8GB Videoram
    1TB SSD

using the latest version of Adobe / Da Vinci Resolve.
    Best wishes and kind regards,
    Martin

I have a maxed out 16inch MBP.... only realy tested in resolve but...

Metal GPU debayer and decode is usefull for rushes creation as it is about 33% faster (for a 8k Monstro decoding test I did)... BUT for general Gradeing and editing I switch over to debayer only and leave the GPU some capacitiy left over for other tasks

We use it for offloading and reviewing. The new GPU support makes no difference for us, it has identical speed according to my tests. They do say it will be faster in time though since it now only processes one frame at a time and not multiple ones.
    I can view 1/4 debayer in realtime on the laptop which is still pretty good. Battery will last maybe 1h15min playing Red.

If you are open for PC laptops a Quadro 6000 card (or was it 5000?) will easily playback 8k dull debayer in realtime and you can get them in both 15 and 17", but of course not Apple if that is needed.

Best,
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

I have a fully loaded 16MBP (8-core 2.4 i9, 64gb ram, 1tb ssd, and the radeon pro 5500m (8gb) graphics card) coming this Monday. I'd be willing to conduct any tests with this device and 8k RAW if anyone would like once I get it. I own/shoot on Gemini and even my current laptop, a 2019 MBP (8-core 2.4 i9, 32gb, vega 20 - 4gb, 1tb ssd) crushes my 5K footage but was a bit fragmented when playing back 8k monstro / helium files I pulled of of RED's website. Do you guys definitely recommend an EGPU as well?
    R3D DSMC2 GEMINI