Thread: Kinefinity MAVO Edge

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McKechnie View Post
    I'm hoping to get one of the first pre production Edge's. Will keep ya'll posted when I put it through the paces. More to come hopefully soon!

Thanks for that Chris! I'm sure a lot of us want to know if it's the "real thing" or just a poof of smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Christen View Post
    To me, by placing the screen on top for Komodo, RED has to come up with an interchangeable focusing hood similar to Classic Hasselblad V. It is very clever, in the classic 90 degree glass prism, you can just flip and fold down the hood completely flat. For Komodo, one could think when the hood is folded down flat, one can still access the buttons on the right side. But the screen is protected.
    Then there is a 45 degree prism finder where you can look straight through. Like this, you can adapt to both shooting style, top down or straight.

Otherwise, top screen of Komodo is a design failure if you ask me.
    Gimbal would be difficult, using top rods or top handle also.
    Thai,

If the hood is designed like the Hasselblad hood you mention above, that would be great. I think Red more than likely designed the UI on the Komodo to be easily maneuverable with the on board buttons. Red will more that likely bring rigging to the Komodo that will ease your concerns about gimbal use. It will probably be something that we least expect or would have thought of.

Here's a link to the kinefinity forum

http://kinecommunity.com/forum/

Re/Connections

This below video shows the Kinefinity Mavo Primes on the Kinefinity Mavo LF

Here's an except from the link below about the Mavo Prime Lenses with the Mavo LF

https://nofilmschool.com/kinefinity-mavo-lf-launch-film

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Thanks for that Chris! I'm sure a lot of us want to know if it's the "real thing" or just a poof of smoke.
    +2 Please do this if you can Chris.

Thai,
    If the hood is designed like the Hasselblad hood you mention above
    Someone posted a mock-up of this in the Komodo thread. Good luck finding it though :-)

Rand: thanks for all of the pics/links/videos/info. Awesome of you.

Carlos,

You're welcome and thanks for the info about the Mockup of the hood! It's probably going to be a while before any "New" info comes out.

In the meantime, here's two links to Mavo S35 footage the first with 4 Prores clips and the second with 2 prores clips.

link to original artlcle by "4K shooters" with the cameraman of the footage below, You Feng

https://www.4kshooters.net/2018/04/0...amera-emerges/

here's also a link to the Official log to REC709 Lut "KineNEUTM" for the MAVO LF and MAVO 6K

http://www.kinefinity.com/workflow_kine_lut/?lang=en

7.7 Gb
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kyunle5zm...mAIkbw-za?dl=0

2.4 GB
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f77zxkl6w...w5bwlk1Ba?dl=0
    Last edited by rand thompson; 05-01-2020 at 04:14 PM.

You Feng's images look great with just the KineNUETM lut applied. I removed some of the blue from two of the images and added some saturation and some contrast. Excuse the black bars to the left and right of the images, they were in a 4096x2160 resolve project.

Last edited by rand thompson; 05-01-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Just a quick case study on Kinefinity. A few years ago living in Dubai I drew attention of Terra to a friend of mine who had b2b distribution network of broadcast gears (from Arri to Sony you name it). He liked the idea of adding it to his portfolio and asked me to help with the business set up to distribute Kinefinity in the Middle East. So I contacted them via email. We were offering them a showroom in a premium location, a service facilitation and a full marketing road map with workshops and print media and social media coverage. That time Kinefinity was even a less known brand and I knew without strong marketing the product itself wont go too far. For our effort anf investment we wanted to secure exclusivity at least in the UAE. I prepared an entire proposal to the Chinese headquarter. We have not received any sort of responds for moths despite constant hustling emails. I called them few times and they said they have seen the email and will get back to me. Eventually they did make a effort to write a rather obscure reply covering not even half f the issues I addressed. They were offering a tiny margin on the product with full upfront investment and no exclusivity. I still tried to build a back and forth communication but replies were not really coming. I offered my time and jump on a plane and go through all the details sitting at the same table, I had a Chinese friend to call them up and we tried to set up a meeting on her travel to Beijing, but no luck. Anyway cut the story short. the entire communication was rather constipated so we gave up on any further efforts. I am not sure if its still the case but it really seamed to me they were very content with their domestic market, probably large enough for a new brand with limited supply infrastructure, so they showed zero interest in expansions. Seeing the current economic melt down of the west and the Gatses plan to extend the lock downs for years we might be queuing up for Chinese cameras and lenses in a few years time if they can maintain their rather promising developments while the west imposing viruses over the economy. It does look like (at least on paper) with the Edge and the new set of prime lenses they really stepped up to be contesters at the digital cinema market and their pricing in the upcoming months or years of recession gonna make a few heads turned for sure.
    Director, Cinematographer, Photographer. www.richweisz.com
    DSMC2 Helium S35.

Thai,

If the hood is designed like the Hasselblad hood you mention above, that would be great. I think Red more than likely designed the UI on the Komodo to be easily maneuverable with the on board buttons. Red will more that likely bring rigging to the Komodo that will ease your concerns about gimbal use. It will probably be something that we least expect or would have thought of.
    Komodo clearly wasn't designed to be rigged with top rods, handle and such. But the top screen in a small cube box screams for a shooting style la Hasselblad V IMO.
    Having said that, even if RED or anyone else come up with a hood or focusing prism solution for the screen, the issue still remains that you have to touch the screen when you want to change settings. RED should at least place a wheel button on the side of the body which allows full navigation through the menu.
    Last edited by Thai Christen; 05-02-2020 at 12:11 AM. Reason: add last line.