Thread: Kinefinity MAVO Edge

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    It's been a while since I've posted. This camera confuses me a bit. Anyone in the know, please help me out with an informed answer. If red has patented recording a compressed raw video signal internally in a camera, then how is it that Infinity can record Pro Res raw in camera without getting a court challenge? Are they paying a license fee? Is Pro Res raw not compressed? Love to hear what you all might have to say.

Thanks.

RG
    Respectfully

Rion Gonzales
    Director of Photography

Dragon X 439

IMDB
    http://www.riongonzales.com

I think blackmagic did a license agreement with RED for their Raw compression. Apple prores RAW could also be with an agreement. Jarred knows.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Gonzales View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted. This camera confuses me a bit. Anyone in the know, please help me out with an informed answer. If red has patented recording a compressed raw video signal internally in a camera, then how is it that Infinity can record Pro Res raw in camera without getting a court challenge? Are they paying a license fee? Is Pro Res raw not compressed? Love to hear what you all might have to say.

Thanks.

RG
    RED patent is only valid in the US, the emerging markets are China, India, the rest of Asia, Africa and South America, shrinking markets are Europe, Japan and the US.
    When you stay below 6:1 compression, like Canon does and ProResRAW HQ it's also no problem.
    Kinefinity is targeting 7 billion prospects and don't care much about the leftovers(330 million US-prospocts in this case) and they might sell it in the USA with ProResRAW HQ only(plus the rest of the non RAW codecs).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    I think blackmagic did a license agreement with RED for their Raw compression. Apple prores RAW could also be with an agreement. Jarred knows.
    BlackMagic gave RED the finger and developed BRAW (which is part. de-bayered RAW, which is not really RAW in the legal sense).

Kinefinity MAVO Edge – 8K & Internal ProRes RAW Recording

By Newsshooter

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/04/...raw-recording/

I was considering Mavo LF when i was buying my Helium. i have tested the camera and i was blown away. Only reason i went with Helium was a cash recording htat is in my case essential. if this has cash recording i will switch in a blink. Unfortunatly the things i love most with the Red are IPP2 and R3D but unfortunately that's not enough when compared to some other downsides. Still we need to see how well Kinefinty will play in North America. they need proper customer service, fast turnaround times, and to show us that they can handle professional demand.
    Lets see camera first
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Looks good. Pretty specced for the price. Few smart solutions, plate, eND, dual type battery mount.
    Hats off to the team.

Rolling shutter and monitoring lag yet to be seen.
    It is unclear what is the material used for that middle part.

6K sensor option would be smart.

Is that....XLR...on top ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post

Yes, strange design choice, they could have put some TA3 connectors...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    It's pixel binning to 6k as I understand, not downsampling. Or is the binning only for FF 6k Raw?

https://www.cinema5d.com/wp-content/...ting-modes.jpg

Yep, XLR with the specs below

It's pixel binning to 6k as I understand, not downsampling. Or is the binning only for FF 6k Raw?
    At about the 3:00 minute mark, the german rep. calls it oversampling/pixel binning-line skipping for the 6k 4k in full frame

https://www.cinema5d.com/kinefinity-...r-under-12000/