Thread: Kinefinity MAVO Edge

Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Why the hell do the manufacturer map the whole dynamic range in a such small usuable range? They could use the whole range from 0 to 1023 (or 64 to 940).
    Would lessen banding problem and use a less harsh curve and gain (130%) to "unlog" it.
    Ideally Log or raw camera footage should be converted to the display color space you will grade or deliver in using a mathematically correct transform before you apply LUTS or other grades. Directly grading camera log footage or raw footage in a display colorspace doesn’t produce the best results.
    Learn to use Resolve’s color managed conversion processes.
    If you use creative third party LUTS, you first have to convert the camera native colorspace to the specific intermediate colorspace the LUT is written for. Most IQ issues with LUTS are a result of applying them in the wrong colorspace.
    Your reference monitor should be calibrated for the colorspace your footage will be delivered in, still typically REC709 for web and TV most of the time, though BT.2020 and various HDR gammas are becoming more prevalent for 4k deliveries.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Ideally Log or raw camera footage should be converted to the display color space you will grade or deliver in using a mathematically correct transform before you apply LUTS or other grades. Directly grading camera log footage or raw footage in a display colorspace doesn’t produce the best results.
    Learn to use Resolve’s color managed conversion processes.
    If you use creative third party LUTS, you first have to convert the camera native colorspace to the specific intermediate colorspace the LUT is written for. Most IQ issues with LUTS are a result of applying them in the wrong colorspace.
    Your reference monitor should be calibrated for the colorspace your footage will be delivered in, still typically REC709 for web and TV most of the time, though BT.2020 and various HDR gammas are becoming more prevalent for 4k deliveries.
    But Do you understand why they map it to Cineo log type of signal instead of using all the 10bit values? It still could be encoded in a lof format. Or is it so that log in a 14 stop DR image will allways give you this kind of signal mapping?

As a side note, I was never happy with any technical transform lut I've seen made by Sony. I've created my own to make the prores proxies. With Red footage it's different. I do make a one pass color grade in RCX for whole sequences to give the rushes to the director.

Kristian Thuesen Mavo Lf sample footage link from post #63 and video remake
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ewiougij3...lD--oxSca?dl=0

My redo of the Kristian Thuesen video in Post #63

Last edited by rand thompson; 05-25-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Zhiyun Crane 3S Example Footage using the Kinefinity MAVO LF

By Newsshooter

Article
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/05/...ane-3s-review/

Some example shots using the Zhiyun Crane 3S and the Kinefinity MAVO LF at 75fps.

Zhiyun Crane 3S Example Footage

By Newsshooter

Some example shots using the Zhiyun Crane 3S and the Kinefinity MAVO LF at normal speed

Last edited by rand thompson; 05-26-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    My redo of the Kristian Thuesen video in Post #63
    This is the nicest looking grade of Mavo LF footage I've seen so far. Seriously. This camera would be a great tool in your hands.

Carlos,

Thanks for thinking so! But I promise you I have seen better. I personally just like an image where blacks , greys and whites are as neutral as possible. I also like an image where skintones are as close to natural looking as possible and where colors are saturated but not "Out Of Gamut" I try to bring that same methodology to grading all footage from all cameras. There's nothing really magical or special about that it's just that some people don't agree with me on that approach.

Carlos,

Thanks for thinking so! But I promise you I have seen better. I personally just like an image where blacks , greys and whites are as neutral as possible. I also like an image where skintones are as close to natural looking as possible and where colors are saturated but not "Out Of Gamut" I try to bring that same methodology to grading all footage from all cameras. There's nothing really magical or special about that it's just that some people don't agree with me on that approach.
    Strange looking it's not worse. Solid exposure and you can do what ever you like, probably fun camera.

David,

I was trying to wrap my head around the benefits of using the EI mode over the ISO mode. I believe you just cleared that up for me, thanks. Yeah, to my knowledge I've never heard of anyone else using that Arri method.
    The upcoming Canon C300iii is the first one (other than Arri) to incorporate it. Canon are calling it "dual gain output", the tests of it posted so far aren't very useful, but the improvement in shadow quality appears to be quite exceptional (they've definitely gained at least a stop).

Thanks for the Grade Alex!, and thanks for info about the canon C300iii Mark!

Full frame test

By Kenneth Ishii

Full Frame Test

Specs:
    Alexa Mini LF
    ProRes 4444
    UHD 16x9 (3840 x 2160)
    Sensor area: 31.68 x 17.82 mm

5600 Kelvin / 25 fps / 180 degree shutter
    LogC to Rec709 LUT

Sigma FF High Speed Prime 35mm / 85mm
    Leica Thalia 35mm / 70mm