Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Never Buying or Shooting RED Again

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've had sensors replaced on my Sony and Canon cameras, and have had pixels remapped on my ARRI cameras.
    It's not the brand, it's the technology.
    Bill Totolo
    billtotolo.com

What's strange to me is that hot pixels only show up in "trasition area" - from black to white. In that lower frame, that is.
    Could it be the debayering error, is that a thing?

I recognize the camera is out of warranty, but all this self diagnosis is prone to error. I'd recommend at least reaching out to Red.

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #14  
    Hi Aris,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing these issues with your image, what you're seeing is certainly not common. We're going to create a ticket for you to work with our Support team to try and pinpoint what may be happing.

I want to assure you and others here on REDuser.net, that at this time RED still services EPIC DRAGON camera BRAINs and will continue to until our parts are depleted. You can find the full list of our products that have been discontinued for repair here: https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...inued-Products

Rest assured, RED Support will always be here to support you no matter what RED product you own.

You See - Even during a Pandemic RED Support is trolling the forums and offering help.

Your first call should always be to the manufacturer...
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Aris, my advice is to never assume anything in this business. It's possible that if you had contacted RED they would have said send it in for diagnostic and it's possible you would have been faced with a steep bill to repair it but maybe not. My policy has been to never run to a forum with an issue until i have spoke to manufacturer. If after speaking with them, I feel mistreated, maybe that would change my mind.

I realize not everyone will have the same experiences with support but I have one of the more epic stories when it comes to RED support. I'll skip all of the gruesome details and just say that my RED One was pouring water out of it at one point. I immediately took steps to get it dried out but at the time I wanted to curl up in a corner and cry. Camera wouldn't fire up and in my mind this was a $10-15K problem at minimum. So, I reached out to RED who had me send it in. I anxiously awaited the bad news that either it was dead and needed brand new guts or at the very least was badly damaged and needed a lot of repair. Instead, RED went through and cleaned it meticulously and to this day I have no idea if they also replaced some things as well, but to my shock I got a bill for a measly $600. Camera went from dead to very much alive for far less than I could have imagined. RED is a lot bigger now, and I'm sure their overhead is a lot different so maybe not every story will end like mine. But it NEVER hurts to ask. And knock on wood, my R1 still works to this day.

So give them a call, start a support ticket and see where it goes.
    Steve Sherrick

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    Aris, my advice is to never assume anything in this business. It's possible that if you had contacted RED they would have said send it in for diagnostic and it's possible you would have been faced with a steep bill to repair it but maybe not. My policy has been to never run to a forum with an issue until i have spoke to manufacturer.

So give them a call, start a support ticket and see where it goes.
    RED Support actually reached out to me themselves as it turns out, after seeing my post here, which was very kind of them to say the least! My frustration is simply the result of experiencing such a serious sensor issue with a camera that's supposedly "the best of the best" - at least back in the day - that also hasn't been used that extensively in the 5 years that I've owned it, certainly not in any hazardous conditions. At any rate, the RED team is examining the files I've sent them so fingers crossed my story ends on a high note like yours!
    EPIC - X DRAGON #8215 "Allie"

Quote Originally Posted by Šabović Adis View Post
    What's strange to me is that hot pixels only show up in "trasition area" - from black to white. In that lower frame, that is.
    Could it be the debayering error, is that a thing?
    It's not, I've tested the clips with both the current IPP2 debayering that squeezes more detail out and the "legacy" one, they're still there albeit slightly softer. The chart makes them more pronounced indeed because it's black and white, but even in the other clip that's more of a real-world test, they're visible at all times, they flicker different colors when there's a ton of contrast - for lack of a better term - around them and when they pass over more uniformly colored objects, like walls etc. they assume a similar tone. The moving footage tells the whole story, these screengrabs were just a small demonstration. That big blue cluster though does whatever it wants, for example, if I were to go back one frame from the one I posted, it's pure neon pink, even though there's nothing of that hue near it!

Quote Originally Posted by Aris_Gavriilidis View Post
    frankly there's too many for me to count and don't show up at the same time, again, depending on what's in the frame - including one of the two main clusters.
    I'm glad Red reached out and understand the frustration.

If they don't show up at the same time it sounds like they can't be dead pixels? So i would hope some kind of data corruption in the files, maybe a dodgy red mag?

Keep us posted...

Cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    I'm glad Red reached out and understand the frustration.

If they don't show up at the same time it sounds like they can't be dead pixels? So i would hope some kind of data corruption in the files, maybe a dodgy red mag?

Keep us posted...

Cheers
    Paul
    Guess I could have phrased that one better - the smaller ones are not all equally visible at the same time, as in, in the same frame since I was panning thus what was underneath them changed quite rapidly so picking a frame to post that displayed them all at their "peak" was tricky. The two big clusters are always discernible and I could see them on my 7" touch LCD as well when shooting those tests, so unfortunately that means it's not a dodgy mag...