Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Never Buying or Shooting RED Again

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Aris_Gavriilidis View Post
    RED Support actually reached out to me themselves as it turns out, after seeing my post here, which was very kind of them to say the least! My frustration is simply the result of experiencing such a serious sensor issue with a camera that's supposedly "the best of the best" - at least back in the day - that also hasn't been used that extensively in the 5 years that I've owned it, certainly not in any hazardous conditions. At any rate, the RED team is examining the files I've sent them so fingers crossed my story ends on a high note like yours!
    Also, I don't want to underestimate the frustration you have that you are in this situation. It's a lot of money to invest, so you want to feel confident that it will last as long as you need it to. Happy to hear you and RED have connected and hopefully there is something that can be worked out to get you up and running again.
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    everyone should have their camera brain insured. its a no-brainer.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Sarajevo
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by Aris_Gavriilidis View Post
    It's not, I've tested the clips with both the current IPP2 debayering that squeezes more detail out and the "legacy" one, they're still there albeit slightly softer. The chart makes them more pronounced indeed because it's black and white, but even in the other clip that's more of a real-world test, they're visible at all times, they flicker different colors when there's a ton of contrast - for lack of a better term - around them and when they pass over more uniformly colored objects, like walls etc. they assume a similar tone. The moving footage tells the whole story, these screengrabs were just a small demonstration. That big blue cluster though does whatever it wants, for example, if I were to go back one frame from the one I posted, it's pure neon pink, even though there's nothing of that hue near it!
    Really sorry to hear that, buddy. Don't know what else to say...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member Audy Erel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Jakarta-Bandung, Indonesia (Bali)
    Posts
    264
    This thread reminds me when I decided to invest in a RED Scarlet-W instead of another camera (or buying a new car) back in 2017. For me it was a lot of cash and I really want to make sure I picked the right choice. Initially it was a rollercoaster ride, the first unit came out dead on arrival with no image from the sensor. The second unit came 2 weeks later and was functional for a year until critical error codes begin to show up just as the standard 1-year warranty barely expired, but RED still repaired my S-W for FREE! Which is amazing (a mainboard was replaced, sounds super expensive), kudos to AV8 Media / RED Singapore for the kind assistance. I miss that country and the nice people, and the food. Now almost 2800 runtime hours and 3 years later the camera still going strong, it has paid itself off, leveling up my cinematography game (mainly in the post production/color grading area, thanks to the REDcode raw workflow), it helps me grow and open many doors previously closed as a hobbyist self taught cinematographer and a freelancer. Long story short, it was the right investment choice. And I hope this RED Scarlet-W will be with me for many years to come because the 5K DRAGON sensor is still a great performer. I'm sure RED will take a good care of you!

    PS. This whole pandemic situation shall pass too. We can make it together. Stay strong, safe & healthy!
    Last edited by Audy Erel; 04-25-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    SCARLET-W #004760
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,174
    You can come unstuck with any brand of camera product. If you can get support from RED for your cam, you are in a good position, albeit maybe a costly one. It would be interesting to see a comparison between brands for their failure rates proportional to totals sold.

    I had a BM URSA 4K lay down during a winter storage period. Nothing I tried could make it wake up again. It was well out of warranty and I had bought it secondhand.

    BM warranty replacement of faulty new cameras is really good but once the camera has become superseded and out of warranty, you are pretty much on your own if the residual supply of parts runs out.

    Unlike the RED camera family, the gizzards of BM cams are not modular but almost entire assemblies which cannot be separated except for a subassembly with sensor/onboard audio, plug-in display screens and their control button sets. That makes for reliability in that there are few actual connectors to fail. If a motherboard or sensor subassembly goes down, it likely has to be replaced and if available, it is not cheap.

    My solution in the end was to buy another broken URSA camera and take my chances melding the two in an unholy matrimony. Fortunately it all worked out fine.

    My personal preference if I had your RED cam would be to seriously consider repair options RED may offer, now that you have their attention.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Senior Member Aris_Gavriilidis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    I had a BM URSA 4K lay down during a winter storage period. Nothing I tried could make it wake up again. It was well out of warranty and I had bought it secondhand.
    My camera had been in storage as well, sitting inside its Peli case for several months (while I was away) before I powered it on after all that time and...discovered this issue. Not during the winter though, so no dramatic environmental temperature changes in my case.
    EPIC - X DRAGON #8215 "Allie"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,250
    Before people start asking if I had blackshaded the camera, which on this forum appears to be the recommended solution even if a camera was literally on fire, here is the full procedure I followed, to no avail:

    -Several blackshade calibrations, even at different temperatures (my preferred one is 65C but I went lower as well)
    I am coming to this late, but if the 65C refers to the internal temperature of the camera, you may have accidentally contributed to the problem. Operating temps above about 60C for extended periods can damage silicon sensors.

    I learned of this when we got a service bulletin on our Digital Bolexes regarding an early failure mode for the internal SSD. After capacity drops about 10% with age it keeps working as normal but gets much hotter. The test was to turn the camera on with full fans and let it sit for 15 minutes. If the operating temp stabilized around 60C, then the drive needed to be replaced to avoid thermal damage to the sensor, which shows up as hot or dead pixels. Normal is in the 50C range. Yours may have deteriorated in storage after damage from overheating.

    We are talking about two different cameras, but silicon is silicon. Only Red could determine if this is an issue in your case, but the dead pixels could possibly be mapped out with a sensor recal.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Senior Member Aris_Gavriilidis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    I am coming to this late, but if the 65C refers to the internal temperature of the camera, you may have accidentally contributed to the problem. Operating temps above about 60C for extended periods can damage silicon sensors.

    I learned of this when we got a service bulletin on our Digital Bolexes regarding an early failure mode for the internal SSD. After capacity drops about 10% with age it keeps working as normal but gets much hotter. The test was to turn the camera on with full fans and let it sit for 15 minutes. If the operating temp stabilized around 60C, then the drive needed to be replaced to avoid thermal damage to the sensor, which shows up as hot or dead pixels. Normal is in the 50C range. Yours may have deteriorated in storage after damage from overheating.

    We are talking about two different cameras, but silicon is silicon. Only Red could determine if this is an issue in your case, but the dead pixels could possibly be mapped out with a sensor recal.
    Well 65C is the default temperature for the Adaptive Fan mode and it's pretty much what I've been going with since I bought the camera, which corresponds to a Sensor Temperature of 47-48C in my case, though on a few occasions I've set it to the max (70C interna resulting in 51C for the sensor) which was still barely usable for clean audio and ambient temperature wasn't anything remotely outrageous. I don't know about DSMC-2 temperatures, I've heard defaults are much lower, but on DSMC-1 there's no way in the world you can maintain a 50C internal temperature without the fans near full blast all the time, that would not be usable for any kind of narrative work. All the more reason I'm leaving the RED ecosystem behind, had just about enough of their "cooling solution"...
    EPIC - X DRAGON #8215 "Allie"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Aris_Gavriilidis View Post
    Well 65C is the default temperature for the Adaptive Fan mode and it's pretty much what I've been going with since I bought the camera, which corresponds to a Sensor Temperature of 47-48C in my case, though on a few occasions I've set it to the max (70C interna resulting in 51C for the sensor) which was still barely usable for clean audio and ambient temperature wasn't anything remotely outrageous. I don't know about DSMC-2 temperatures, I've heard defaults are much lower, but on DSMC-1 there's no way in the world you can maintain a 50C internal temperature without the fans near full blast all the time, that would not be usable for any kind of narrative work. All the more reason I'm leaving the RED ecosystem behind, had just about enough of their "cooling solution"...
    Temp shouldn't be an issue then.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Junior Member TrevorBarnes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    4
    I completely understand your frustration! I do agree with what others have said though, all manufacturers have these type of issues time to time. Funny enough I have had similar issues with brand new cameras dead on arrival however my old Red One MX is still working perfectly fine after being 10 plus years old. Red’s customer service seems to be stellar so I hope it all works out for you. Please post an update when there is a conclusion to your issue.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts