Thread: UI & UX ideas

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    One thing, when you change deg or exposure time you want to see the histogram / goalposts and RGB overfill lamps at the same time. Same goes for color temp settings etc. If the histogram is not there when you scroll the Kelvins how will you know your colors are right if the histogram is not there ?

Same for exposure, let say you want to expose 1/2 a stop under clip.... Then you want to see the RGB lights and dial down until the lights go out.

Compare to current DSMC2 menus the above is simply useless. Think atleast this should be a step forward, no?
    Very good point Björn. Using the physical buttons, I assume you will be able to select the setting that you want to change and then use the UP and DOWN buttons to change it without bringing up the overlay, so the histogram will still be visible. Not sure how this functionality could be mirrored for touch operation. My first thought was touch and drag left to reduce and right to increase. But theres no space to the right of the right hand button or the left of the left hand button. Edit: with Alexandre's design with the buttons just below the preview, touch and drag up or down could adjust settings.

Rand's idea might work, but as far as I know there are no preset buttons on the camera (wish there were).

Here are my suggestions from the main thread:

- LARGE histogram front and centre.
    - Some way of showing raw and RGB histograms at the same time (in the example below, the raw histogram is in grey behind the RGB one).
    - Bottom menu split in two ("scene" and "on-the-fly" settings), with all settings visible all the time. All adjustable settings are in bottom row.
    - TC, clip name, and record duration moved into record button.
    - Cam name and remaining record time moved to top row.
    - Pressing bottom row button brings up quick presets, long press to fine tune.
    - Some sort of "your compression may be too high for this scene" indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Bjorn,

Like Stanly says, it such a tight display screen. The only thing I can think of , and excuse my rough draft of this, is to have the Histogram as an overlay that can be assigned to a preset button on the camera to turn on and off and movable like below. Next have the menus so that they can be "dockable" or "undockable" like below where from the main menu accessible from the "RED" emblem, I chose to make the menu "undockable" so that the Custom White Balance box wouldn't cover up the Goal posts. You can still see the affect on the image at the same time. Or the location of the menu settings at the bottom where just restricted to the area I show below.

I like that very much Rand, I took the liberty to to test it also in my mockup below ; )

To keep things simple and accessible the histogram could even be attached to the shutter change UI. So the appropriate tools appear when you need them. Following the same design principle, an RGB waveform and vectorscope could appear when you change color temp!

Alexandre,

That looks great and it frees up space that can be used for other more important/ more frequently used functions.

Yeah, group those tools together that would logically help the user get more precise corrections and more repeatable results.

Also, I would keep it the size you have but place it against a black or more solid background. With the different images that will come across the screen a transparent version could be less readable against some scenes than others.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 04-20-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Something like this except with your goal posts and traffic lights. But it also has to be movable or have the ability to toggle on and off, maybe from the main menu setup from the "Red" emblem, because it could be a hinderance to composing a shot otherwise.

Last edited by rand thompson; 04-20-2020 at 11:21 AM.

If we can get rid of the RGB display and RED's audio meter and move the goal post, with traffic lights and histogram up to the display image, we could have room for a more familiar audio meter. I also suggest using some of the space savings for three preset buttons all of which can be assigned with many of the camera's functions.

Last edited by rand thompson; 04-20-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Since you can toggle the Bars/lights/histogram on and off by assigning it to a "preset" button, it can be larger since it won't be a permanent part of the Primary Display menu.

Back in the days of the 5DMK3 with magic lantern installed, the electronic data from the lens was passed through to the UI and a focus distance was displayed. I always thought this was really useful for self-shooting and would be a great addition to the Komodo UI, especially with all the EF and RF glass available.

Here's my updated display at 100% based on iPhone 6. I used a 17.3 inch laptop. open it up to either "full screen" or "fit screen" or "view actual size"on your computer.

Here's a screen at 100% with old histogram

another older display at 100%

Last edited by rand thompson; 04-21-2020 at 05:40 AM.

I hate to have to give up a third preset but they may have been too tight.