Thread: UI & UX ideas

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 UI & UX ideas 
    Let's discuss ways menu design can improve quality of our lives!

I'll start with attaching all of my previews in one post, starting with the latest:

Video on settings menu mechanics, part 1:

Video on settings menu mechanics, part 2:

A couple of still images with settings hierarchy:

All of the interactive elements are in the bottom area, to keep smudges away from video feed preview.
    Touch areas are large enough to be ergonomic, graphics are contrasty to be easily visible at a glance.

As a reference point, KOMODO's screen is about the same width as iPhone 6:

Can't wait to know more information about monitoring options and rest of the camera possibilities to come up with designs for that :D
    But for now ... here's a light mode UI version for Stormtroopers!

Last edited by Stanly ok; 04-23-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks Stanly. Maybe a mod can move all the UI posts from the megathread here?

One thing, when you change deg or exposure time you want to see the histogram / goalposts and RGB overfill lamps at the same time. Same goes for color temp settings etc. If the histogram is not there when you scroll the Kelvins how will you know your colors are right if the histogram is not there ?

Same for exposure, let say you want to expose 1/2 a stop under clip.... Then you want to see the RGB lights and dial down until the lights go out.

Compare to current DSMC2 menus the above is simply useless. Think atleast this should be a step forward, no?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

@Robert that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    when you change deg or exposure time you want to see the histogram / goalposts and RGB overfill lamps at the same time
    Great point! Will update previews when done with the main screen preview sometime next week.

Also, technically it is a step forward in any case – no other RED camera comes with a built-in screen. With KOMODO being stuffed with features it's easy to forget how tiny it is, so I won't be surprised if some things end up being reserved for external monitoring.
    Last edited by Stanly ok; 04-19-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Bjorn,

Like Stanly says, it such a tight display screen. The only thing I can think of , and excuse my rough draft of this, is to have the Histogram as an overlay that can be assigned to a preset button on the camera to turn on and off and movable like below. Next have the menus so that they can be "dockable" or "undockable" like below where from the main menu accessible from the "RED" emblem, I chose to make the menu "undockable" so that the Custom White Balance box wouldn't cover up the Goal posts. You can still see the affect on the image at the same time. Or the location of the menu settings at the bottom where just restricted to the area I show below.

Last edited by rand thompson; 04-19-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Stanly, I love that stormtrooper look!

A few adjustments based on your comments, mainly a layout focused more on usability on such a small touch screen.

@Alexandre yep, me too! Palette inversion is so refreshing sometimes :D

@rand I believe three small goal posts is the solution, they might be slim enough to fit!

How about instead of putting the whole "R3D Quality" just use a button with "LQ","MQ" and "HQ" touch it and it takes you to a menu with a selection of the Three quality levels(I hope its 3, but not sure).

Last edited by rand thompson; 04-19-2020 at 11:52 PM.